Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Garmin i3 wont acquire?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin i3 wont acquire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch1py
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: New Garmin i3 wont acquire? Reply with quote

hi,

i purchased a garmin i3 today from argos, updated to 2.6 software and installed all the speed camera and POI's which i found in the first post on this board, respect to who-ever put the post together with the instructions, it was a breeze to follow.

the problem im getting is it wont acquire any signal outside the car or inside, the most i have got is 1 red bar, i made sure i was in the open with clear sky but nothing, i sat there for 1 hour aswell, it was cold!!! Laughing

any help is much appreciated for a noob gps owner.

thanks in advance.
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under navigation is your GPS mode set to normal? That is only thing I can think of, am fairly new to this myself.

Have heard on these forums that initially the unit can take a while when first switched on to get all the info it initally needs but an hour seems a little excessive.

If batteries are a run down this can make acquiring take longer also. :|
ch1py
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was with new batteries, and the reception is set to gps on in the settings, not waas or whatever it is, strange.

ill try a master reset then go and sit in a field again as its a nice day today, wish me luck. Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch1py wrote:
ill try a master reset then go and sit in a field again as its a nice day today, wish me luck. Laughing

Yeah, a master reset is all I can think of doing. It should get a first fix in about 5 minutes and should have all it's sats in less than 15 minutes.

It's worth waiting around for a 15 minutes because although it can get an initial position fix using 3 or 4 sats, it takes a few minutes more to download the data for all the sats.

Once this has been done, it should get a fix from cold (switched off for > 6 hours) in a minute or two with a good view of the sky.

Older Garmins had a status screen where you could see the visible sats and watch it lock on to each one. Someone mentioned that there was a secret way of getting this screen to appear on the i3, you might want to try it so you can see what's happening.

Oh, and Welcome by the way.
ch1py
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

done a master reset, and fresh batteries, got a fix in about 10 mins now but when i put it in the car window i loose signal, just ordered a 5 metre insulated antenna from ebay, hope this helps, it's a renault megane coupe if anyone is interested, maybe the screen is insulated?

thanks for the advice.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch1py wrote:
renault megane coupe maybe the screen is insulated?

It's very likely that it is. Not all Meganes have the heat reflective windscreen but the ones with air conditioning do. Does your windscreen have an odd blue relection and a dark patch around the rear view mirror when viewed from the outside?

If it works through the sunroof or side windows or behind the rear view mirror then that confirms it.

Good luck!
ch1py
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it has a dark patch at the back of the rear view mirror, and a dark rim around the edge of the screen, if i hold it next to the door windows everything is fine.

where would be the best place to mount the external antenna? would the inside of the rear window be ok?
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27983

this may be of use??
navitron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Older Garmins had a status screen where you could see the visible sats and watch it lock on to each one. Someone mentioned that there was a secret way of getting this screen to appear on the i3, you might want to try it so you can see what's happening.

Just wondering if you know what the secret was Skippy?
navitron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just wondering if you knew what the secret was Skippy?
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch1py wrote:
it's a renault megane coupe if anyone is interested, maybe the screen is insulated?

thanks for the advice.

Is this a new or old Megane? I've got a new Megane CC and mine works fine, no probs with reception at all.

Skippy wrote:
Not all Meganes have the heat reflective windscreen but the ones with air conditioning do. Does your windscreen have an odd blue relection and a dark patch around the rear view mirror when viewed from the outside?

I think it's more dependant on the model rather than the air con, as my Megane has air con but it still doesn't have a heat reflective windscreen. They are as you say easy to see though by the bluey tinge on the outside.
ch1py
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 1999 megane coupe, my external antenna arrived saturday, wired it through to the rear window, within 1 min i had full signal so decided to try it out, drove from the midlands to skegness and i didnt have a loss of signal once!

strange thing was it took me back a different way but it didnt take any longer and it was a nice drive, so im really happy with my purchase.

thanks for all the advice guys. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: