Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing Alert speed on Streetpilot i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Alert speed on Streetpilot i3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitzyjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Changing Alert speed on Streetpilot i3? Reply with quote

Hi

After seeking advice on this forum I took the plunge and bought an i3 a few days ago, what a great piece of kit!

I have found answers to most of my questions on here already but need help on one more. I can't seem to change the alert speed/distance on the speed cameras settings in POI loader. I have used manual mode and tweaked both speed and distance, but when I look at the settings on the i3 itself they have gone back to the defaults?

Any ideas?

mitzyjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

as no-one has replied, does that mean that I am the only one with this problem? Unless I have read it wrong, I thought that the idea of manual mode on POI loader meant that you could change the speed and/or distance for POI's with proximity alerts?

Please advise, as if I have a faulty unit I need to take it back!

Cheers
:D
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some other threads on this subject on here. Basically, you can alter the alert in the csv file you are loading up. 3rd or 4th column I think

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
gottai3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3rd or 4th column in the csv says something like @30 I guess indicating that its a 30 mph zone camera.

But my i3 says 19mph speed limit near these cameras and 'bongs' at me. I think that when i'm travelling at over 19mph in 30 mph camera areas it gives this warning. But I dunno how you change this setting
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gottai3 wrote:
But my i3 says 19mph speed limit near these cameras and 'bongs' at me. I think that when i'm travelling at over 19mph in 30 mph camera areas it gives this warning. But I dunno how you change this setting

19 mph = 30 km/h. Check your units settings.
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

Still confused, should the i3 give a warning visual or sound for a gatso even if i am going under the speed limit.
i have tried it driving past gatso's that are on the dbase and not had a bleep out of it.
mobile ones it bleeps and i get a message whether i am under or over the limits.

how do i set the unit to show redlight camera been through loads and no indication, at green i meen.

many thanks

rother
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine gives me a bong on approach then nothing more if below speed limit, otherwise continuous warnings until past the camera. (There are loads on the M4 in Wiltshire - very annoying!).

Why do you need red light camera warnings? I can understand people exceeding the speed limit (but of course my legal advice says I can't condone that Wink ), but there is absolutely no excuse for going through a red light!

Jeff.
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody I know went through a light on green - car in front stalled and he was stuck on the junction.

Red light cam got the impression he had jumped the light - and he got a penalty.

Appealed of course and got off - glitch in the cam

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffg thanks how did you set them files up through the uploader, when i change mine through manual to use a distance, it accepts what i want but then when i use the loader again it has gone back to how it was before.
i agrre with the redlight but i prefer to see what is coming up all the time so i can adjust my speed, my other gps does this and in this respect i think it is better.
A similar thing happened last week as i approached the redlisgts were green as i hit it it turned amber but a lorry infront was turning right and then stopped so i was halfway over at red so i might have been caught.
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rother wrote:
jeffg thanks how did you set them files up through the uploader, when i change mine through manual to use a distance, it accepts what i want but then when i use the loader again it has gone back to how it was before.

There are others here who know more about this. I just uploaded safety camera POI files on auto (idiot mode).

Jeff.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rother wrote:

If i'm reading you correctly,then each time you use the POI loader it defaults back. This is normal & you have to change individual speeds & distance to suite your requirements every time you load updated poi's in manual mode.
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium
thanks that makes sense now, it is confusing.
i had better luck today as it showed up some gatsos, no complaints with the routing though which is the main thing.

many thanks
gottai3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not showing up red light cameras, it's prob because you didn't tell it where they are. The speed camera database is made up of several different files and you have to load them all to your unit, or use the single file option which is one big file with all of them in. I discovered this after reading the help files in the first thread of this forum.

I don't think that red light cameras are all only checking light jumping. Last week I was driving along a dual carrigeway in a 30mph zone. I was on the inside doing 30 and a car shot past me in the outside lane doing 40plus? The lights were on green to us, but the camera flashed him twice!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: