Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cross-channel routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross-channel routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Cross-channel routing Reply with quote

Just for laughs I set my current location to Portsmouth, and asked the i3 to route me to Le Havre. Sure enough, it took me via the Dover-Calais ferry!

So if you're planning a trip to France, it's as well to look at a map first!

Jeff.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the i3 does have street level mapping for the north west of france so it could be handy for a duty free shopping trip to calais for instance
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross-channel routing Reply with quote

JeffG wrote:
Just for laughs I set my current location to Portsmouth, and asked the i3 to route me to Le Havre. Sure enough, it took me via the Dover-Calais ferry!

Did you use Quickest? It figures (probably wrongly) that it's quicker to drive to Dover and take the Calais ferry.

If you ask for the Shortest route then it will take you on the Portsmouth to Le Havre ferry.
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's quite a chunk of north-west France. My point was, though, that the mapping only seems to know about one channel crossing point!

Jeff.
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross-channel routing Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Did you use Quickest? It figures (probably wrongly) that it's quicker to drive to Dover and take the Calais ferry.

If you ask for the Shortest route then it will take you on the Portsmouth to Le Havre ferry.

Ah! You're right. What would be nice is a setting "quickest when driving"!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffG wrote:
Yes, there's quite a chunk of north-west France. My point was, though, that the mapping only seems to know about one channel crossing point!

Not true! Mapsource City Select v7 on my PC has the ferry routes out of Portsmouth to Bilbao, Caen, Cherbourg, Guernsey, Jersey, le Havre and Saint-Malo. I presume these are the same maps on the i3.

The routing algorithm just thinks that ferries do 13 MPH so it would be faster to drive at 70 MPH on the motorway to Dover and then make the 25 mile channel crossing there rather than the 110 mile crossing from Portsmouth.

Another quirk is that it treats the Channel Tunnel as a ferry so it will always favour the Dover to Calais ferry over the Chunnel because the Chunnel is 10 miles longer and the speed is the same (according to Garmin at least!)

Unfortunately you can't change the road/ferry speeds on the Garmin. They seem to be hard coded.

The only consolation is that you would probably know in advance which crossing you were going to take and route to the correct ferry/train terminal then continue your journey from there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: