Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dead ends?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead ends?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Dead ends? Reply with quote

Have just been out to look at a job as part of my work, so got the correct postcode entered and set off to my chosen destination. everything was going fine and great I thought as I got close to my ETA am 5 mins early for my appointmnet. However as I heard the 'you are arriving at your destiantion' or whatever it says I was confronted with a bridge and bollards ahead and no sign of my chosen destination.
I tried to drive off in another direction hoping the i3 my find an alternate route but it just wanted to steer me back to the same place again.

Anyway ended up switching the i3 off and had to ring my boss to give me map directions over the phone.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? 8O

I did think it may have soemthing to do with the type of roads I have set up(motorways, Toll Roads etc) , maybe it considered this footpath under the bridge as being a paved road. I did eventually arrive at my destination on the other side of the bridge ( 15 mins extra travel time and late)

Apart from this hick up it has been working fine the past few weeks.

Any ideas or explanations welcome!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothings perefect.......not for £199 anyway..
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the other side of the bridge still the same road?

Did you navigate just by postal code?

Would have adding a house/street number have taken you the other side of the bridge?
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, before my i3, I was a total Sat Nav sceptic. I'm a surveyor - and by trade, can cope well with a map. (that isnt meant to sound arrogant - its qualified later in this post!).

I'd also come across friends with Satnav who had terrible times. Those with built in SatNavs were always complaining the thing would ask for U-Turns on motorways, take you down dead ends etc. I then met a mate with a TOm Tom - arrived 2 hours late for one of his best mates weddings relying on it - took him miles away.

Anyway, I wasnt convinced....

But then - driving reading a map is a dangerous activity, and my job has me in my car an awful lot - often visiting sites that I know, often taking me to new ones.

Came on sites like this and read huge praise for the I3. Bought one. OK, it aint perfect - but honestly, honestly - in one month of use, and travel up and down (and across) the UK, it really hasnt let me down once.

I'm a convert!

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 52k last year and have done 31k so far this year the past 500 ish with an i3, it has had one wobble so far when it told me to bare right not turn right. I'm well impressed.....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dead ends? Reply with quote

Logan1475 wrote:
Has anyone else had an experience like this? 8O

Yeah, lots of times over the past few years. It get's it right about 95% of the time and it's an awful lot more accurate than trying to navigate using a paper map! Confused

I can't help but wonder if you could have have gotten out of the car and walked over the bridge. Laughing ;)
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know my destiantion was on other side of bridge till I got to the other side! or else I would have walked.

Maybe a diffrent road number would have done the trick but I didn't have a number just a post code and company name.

Anyway tis not the end of the world and still rate the i3 over trying to read directions while doing 70mph on the motorway!

Is probably just unlucky realy as this may have not been avoided even if looking at a street map.

Can't remember who it was earlier, but I am also a surveyor. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the posts anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: