Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 and mapsource world map/metroguide Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 and mapsource world map/metroguide Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lordpercy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: i3 and mapsource world map/metroguide Europe Reply with quote

Morning all,

Had my i3 just a few days and very pleased so far, apart from a couple of spontaneous resets which I'm still trying to pin down.

I've also had a Garmin eTrex Vista (handheld GPS) for a couple of years now and I'm wondering if the Mapsource Worldmap/Metroguide Europe I got for that is compatible in any way with the i3, even if it's just to display a map without routing data. Garmin's website seems to suggest they are not, but I want to be certain.

Any advice welcome!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mapping on the i3 is city select, this has software on it that allows autorouting and navigation....all metroguides and world maps have no autorouting software....you can load mg europe/world map onto a blank transflash card and you'll just get a 'normal where you are gps' without routing...the only benefit of this is that if you go to spain etc you'll see your location and nothing else...
Lordpercy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply zogman. Just seeing where I am will be great for someone who gets lost as often as I do overseas!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to mention before that you must not load any 'mapping' onto your existing card as you will loose all the city select maps on it...obvious stuff but easily done via mapsource...
Lordpercy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info again, I'm getting a separate transflash card for my travels.

As a followup.....

With no CityNavigator DVD enclosed with the units in the UK, if for any reason the card should lose or corrupt its data how would we restore it? Is there an online method via Garmin.com, perhaps based on the serial number of the unit? I obtained an unlock code from tech support as part of the online registration, so they in theory would know I was legitimate.

(This has NOT happened, just wondering!).
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is new territory lordpercy....the 'transflash card' method of having mapping is new so no-one really know how garmin will deal with this problem...i should imagine garmin will look at each individual case..
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordpercy wrote:
... if for any reason the card should lose or corrupt its data how would we restore it?

The transflash should be pretty safe from corruption as the i3 does not seem to write to it in normal use. Favourites, Recent Finds etc. are stored on some internal memory not on the transflash card. I know this because I have installed maps onto a clean card from Mapsource City Select CDs and had not lost my Favourites or Finds when I started to use the new card.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved a 256mb transflash card from mymemory.co.uk in the post today & I thought I would try it in the i3 before putting any data on it.
The screen shows nice graphics of a i3 with a lead coming out & going into a pc, below this it says "Please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn-by-turn route information."
It looks like they were intending to give a cd with maps on for us to download like they are doing in the USA & also it mentions a cd on the box.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: