Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - StreetPilot c320 froze up on me today...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

StreetPilot c320 froze up on me today...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: StreetPilot c320 froze up on me today... Reply with quote

... one minute we're happily navigating through downtown Sydney, and the next I am still driving along, but my trusty c320 is frozen! I had to switch it off and then switch it back on to get it to work again!

Now, I know rebooting is not a big deal in PC land, but how many of you had this happen with your Garmin? I'm not too worried about it (yet), since I still have 11 months worth of warranty, but it will be something to watch out for in the future.

Anyone had this hapen with their Garmin? Any model, not just the c320???
roboqld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wifes C320 locks up on the main freeway heading in toward Brisbane city, it happens every time in the same place and you cant even turn it off,
you have to remove the grey front panel and press the reset to get it working again, I have been told by Garmin agents that this will be fixed in a new F/w upgrade soon, another thing is see how you go looking for any street called "EAST STREET" It could not find them and I later found it has them listed as "E STREET" I have reported this also.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Quest and GPS-V have locked up from time to time. Sometimes they would lock up if I had moved > 1,000 miles since I last switched the GPS on, other times they would just lock up while navigating.

Lockups are fairly rare though.
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: This morning my c320 froxe up again, and nothing worked to wake it up - it had to be reset with the reset button!

I took it to the shop where I bought it (I was close-by), and was basically informed of the same thing. After a phone call to the Australian Garmin agent, the dealer informed me that the local mapping software somehow crashes if a chain of things happens in sequence (I'm not sure what those things are, but it has to do with the way the maps are displayed, possibly in combination with loss of signal - I drove through a tunnel and then it crashed!). Apparently Garmin are aware of the problem (I'm not sure if it applies only to Australia, or whether it's more widespread) and are working on a firmware update.

So, basically it's a software bug! Crying or Very sad

I hope they get it fixed fast! It was painful driving around without the GPS for a couple of hours! (I forgot about the reset button until they reminded me at the shop again Embarassed ) I forgot how much of a pain it is to use a street directory! :D
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, another update for you folks:

Today I drove EXACTLY the same route as yesterday, but the c320 did not miss a beat! So, it appears that it might be a combination of things that have to occur (button presses at a time when the software is doing something), just like the dealer said, OR... the thing just needed a reset!

I've never had it reset before, never even conected it to a computer, so maybe it just needed a reset for the firmware to operate properly! Here's hoping, anyway... :-)

On a serious note, it appears that a new firmware is in the works to fix a few bugs, so if anyone else here has been having problems with their c320, please let us know!
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry too much about crashing. Look how often Windows PCs crash!

My C320 has crashed once, requiring the reset button to be pressed. I decided to permanently remove the front panel, as I dont like the colour much, and it allows easy access to the reset button.

Macnoodle, I think your experiences show how difficult software testing is. Finding the exact chain of events causing a crash is not always easy.
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossb wrote:
I wouldnt worry too much about crashing. Look how often Windows PCs crash!

Sure! That's why it took me by surprise - I own and use two Macs! No PCs for me, thank you very much! Smile

I haven't had it crash again since, so I'm not too worried at this stage.
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macnoodle wrote:
I haven't had it crash again since, so I'm not too worried at this stage.

OK, just an update: Froze up on me again today, reset button fixed things. I have used it every day since I've bought the unit, and I average around 1500 km per week in all different areas, so the unit is getting a workout! Smile

The freezes happen in Sydney City (every time!), I haven't yet had it freeze in the country. I think it's the fact that the mapping is more detailed in the city, and the bug is more likely to occur when the processing is intensive.

Anyway, just an update for anyone interested... Smile
wolfmanoz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: C320 locks up Reply with quote

I work for an Autobarn store in Melbourne, the lock-up feature for the C320 is an undocumented extra ! Well seriously, we've sold quite a few of these and it seems one in three have SERIOUS major problems.
Don't rely on GME for a fix, their e-mail response is mediocre ( to say the least).... for a company selling technology they REALLY need to move into the 20th century...'cause the 21st is really too far a stretch.
I'd recommend you take the unit out for a test BEFORE handing over you're hard-earned; or get a guarantee..no workee cash back NOW !
It seems to be a problem isolated to Aussie units, but if it's mapping softwre related how come there's no similar problem with 2610's & iQue's that use the same maps ? Sad
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: C320 locks up Reply with quote

wolfmanoz wrote:
It seems to be a problem isolated to Aussie units

As far as I understand, it is only affecting the Australian units (this would indicate that it is a software problem).

Just an update, I haven't had a problem since my last report. The Garmin gets used every day, and I travel a LOT! So... as unimpressed as I was initially with the fact that the unit froze up, I am now quite happy with its performance (of course, it's gonna play up on me tomorrow, right? Smile ).

I hope the problem will be fixed with the next firmware upgrade.
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of firmware are you running? There is now 4.70 on the Garmin site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: