Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - streetpilot confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

streetpilot confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equium
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: streetpilot confusion Reply with quote

ok, i want a GPS-V because it has turn by turn directions but from what i can see, so does the (discontinued) streetpilot and streetpilot color. i was looking at a screen shot of a streetpilot and it looks to me like it was guiding the user. here is the screen shot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3023489323&category=34289

help me out. i would not mind saving some $$ on a used streetpilot. what will i be giving up not getting a

GPS-V (besides a smaller screen)

thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: streetpilot confusion Reply with quote

Welcome Equium and don't be mislead by those shots! The original gray scale StreetPilot and ColorMap did not offer turn by turn routing. To get the arrows you see in that picture you had to manually plot a route using Mapsource on a PC marking each turn manually, then upload the route to the GPS. There was also no voice option unlike the SPIII.

I had both a StreetPilot and a StreetPilot ColorMap and whilst they were good GPS's in their day offering map capabilities and upgradeable memory they are not in-car navigators as we know today although they do at least show you what road you were on and the approaching intersections.

The GPSV is a great unit but it has three drawbacks, the small grayscale screen, lack of voice and non-upgradeable memory. If you can manage with these limitations then it is a true turn by turn navigation solution.
equium
Occasional Visitor

hi darren, thanks for the feedback. it seems like a lot of work to get turn by turn on the streetpilot, but that big screen is tempting. i just drew two boxes on paper with the dimensions of the streetpilot and gps-v and wow, what a difference. as far as the GPSV drawbacks, i don't mind not having the voice; yes, the screen is small, but could you tell me more about the memory in the GPSV. for instance, if i was going on a trip to the Los Angeles area, would the memory in the GPSV be enough for the city streets?

thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

The GPSV has 19MB or internal memory in addition to the routable basemap, the basemap covers the entire US with oceans, lakes, rivers, cities, interstates, principal and major thoroughfares and political boundaries. You could upload a detailed map of the LA area on top of the basemap and this would easily fit into the available memory. The detail on the basemap would be enough to route you from your departure location to LA where the uploaded data would cover the trip into town.

As for the pre SPIII Streepilot's, yes it is a lot of work and the effort is really not worth it, you have to choose your own route and mark it out, you'd also need to buy Mapsource maps as they never came with the GPS unlike the GPSV which comes with Mapsource City Select.

Hope this helps?
equium
Occasional Visitor

thanks for your help darren. the issue for me now is the screen size. i can't afford those fancy in-dash Navigation systems you see in these tricked up vehicles. i really want turn by turn so my wife can make use of it too. (of course, i would pre-program the route for her) i know this is the garmin forum, but is there a unit similar to the GPSV with a bigger screen for $500 or less? i checked out the price on the magellan 750 and darn near fell out of my chair!

thanks darren

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: