Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Removing a Brodit ProClip
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing a Brodit ProClip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maffs0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Removing a Brodit ProClip Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just leased an Astra and have bought a Brodit Proclip to mount my Carcomm cradle for my Tom Tom 920. The car has to be returned as is in 2 years time. How easy is it to remove a Proclip? I'm scared that if I attach it, I won't be able to get it out when I have to return the car.

Anyone got any experience. The Proclip attaches to the air vent on the right of the steering wheel.

Thanks,

Matthew.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brodit for the air vent came with a plastic tapered tool, you just insert in the edge of the vent to ease the vent away and insert the Brodit clip, removal is the same way, I tried removing mine after installing 2 yrs ago just to check removal and its easy and simple, and yes it is still fitted solid.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any issues removing them. Depends on the type as to how it's removed of course but most will come up with a little 'wiggle' or the use of a lever to unclip them.

Some use some adhesive tape as part of the clip but again these come off easily and the tape just rolls of.
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mixed experiences, which seems to depend on how the clip was manufactured.

The first was for a Rover 75. The device had ends which tapered away until they were very thin, and which were then bent into shape, presumably under heat-treatment, to fit the dash. This clip could be wriggled in and out fairly easily, but was still very secure.

The second was for a Jaguar X-Type. On this one the ends that slot into the dash were a bit thicker, but they had grooves machined into them, rather than being bent into shape, giving an even "snugger" fit. By the time the grooves had been machined out there was very little thickness left, and the very first time I tried to remove it, the upper end snapped off, making it useless.

I sent it back to the retailer, complaining that it wasn't fit for purpose, but they never replied. I was just surprised that Brodit wasn't aware that machining rigid materials without leaving a decent radius would almost guarantee failure. After all, it's not something you want to leave on display in your car. I haven't bought a Pro-clip for my current car.

Anyway, the good news for you, maffs0, is that if your clip fits the air vent, you can at least see where the arms clip in, and using the right size screwdriver, carefully ease them open to withdraw the clip.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to argue here that they are not designed to be removed frequently. They are designed as 'no holes' mounts so they can be removed when you sell the car.

So long as it is rigid in use and can be removed when you change cars then I'd say they meet the design criteria.

I had an X-Type some years back and the Brodit ProClip for them is one of the most anonymous they do!

If you must remove the cradle frequently use MOVE clips.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in principle you are correct Darren, but also that some are probably more easier than others to remove, in my case on my 3 yr old focus I would have no hesitation in removing because the clip does not have to bend at all thus no strain on the clip. having said that it has been left in situ for over 2 yrs years with a move clip for removing the unit and as you say it is anonymous and also its multiuse because if not using gps our phone holders are also fitted with move clips, so yes i think proclips are mainly designed for permanant fitting and anybody should use their own judgement if they want to remove frequently, I have just ordered a new focus estate to replace my nearly 3yr old, delivery early jan 09 so will be faced with transferring my clip then but i am not anticipating any problems whatsoever.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: