Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To Boldly Go Where No SatNav Has Gone Before
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To Boldly Go Where No SatNav Has Gone Before

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: To Boldly Go Where No SatNav Has Gone Before Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
MiTAC the company that makes Mio and Navman SatNav PNDs has created a partnership with Paramount Pictures to market their range of SatNav products. The partnership sees specially packaged devices, and features a competition for purchasers of Mio or Navman products with a top prize of a holiday for four in Orlando Florida. The competition runs until the end of May this year.

The marketing partnership also includes the sales aisles in Halfords where there will be special promotional point of sale displays. Purchases at Halfords will also be eligible to enter the competition.

Star Trek Into Darkness is the sequel to the box office hit Star Trek, a remake of the old William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelly. Star Trek Into the Darkness is directed once again by J. J. Abrams and features Chris Pine as Captain James T Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as 'Bones' McKoy, Simon Pegg as Scotty and Zoe Saldana as Lieutenant Uhura. The film opens in the UK on the 9th May.

The full MiTAC/Navman/Mio press release follows:

MiTAC Europe announces strategic partnership with Paramount Pictures UK

London, April 16th – MiTAC Europe has today announced a strategic partnership with Paramount Pictures UK to promote this summer’s blockbuster, Star Trek Into Darkness, through its Mio and Navman brands. The partnership will see Star Trek Into Darkness branding appear on Navman device packaging, and at Point-of-Sale and gondola ends at Halfords. Customers will also have the opportunity to win hundreds of prizes, including a once in a lifetime family holiday for four to Orlando, Florida.

The competition, which launches on April 16th 2013 and will run until May 31th 2013, will give Mio e-shop, Halfords and Halfords.com customers the chance to compete for a range of exclusive Star Trek prizes. All Mio e-shop customers have to do is spend a minimum of £20 (excluding shipping costs) and they will receive a confirmation email which provides a link to a special microsite, where they must then answer two questions. Halfords and Halfords.com customers will be asked to visit www.mio.com/startrekintodarkness to enter the competition.

By registering their purchase and then by answering the first competition question correctly, customers will be in with a chance to win one of 500 exclusive instant Star Trek prizes. By answering the second question they will also automatically be entered into the competition for the holiday for four to Orlando, Florida.

MiTAC Europe will also be running competitions through its Mio social media channels, giving followers a chance to win exclusive Star Trek merchandise. The first competition will launch on 16th April on the Mio UK Facebook and Twitter pages.

Natasha Bartlett-Twivey, UK and Ireland marketing manager at MiTAC Europe said, “We are known for GPS products that are packed with useful features at a fair price. However, we are always looking to add value to our devices and believe partnership on a huge blockbuster film like Star Trek Into Darkness does just that. It will give our customers a fantastic opportunity to win unique prizes, be part of a hotly anticipated film launch and really helps our product stand out from the competition.”

As part of MiTAC Europe’s support of the British Heart Foundation, there is also a 15% discount on all Mio products for British Heart Foundation London to Brighton riders.

For more information, visit http://eu.mio.com/en_gb/startrekintodarkness/index.htm.
email icon

taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Having to buy for entries.... Reply with quote

Having to purchase something in order to enter a sweeps or contest is illegal in many states in the USA.
I have not gone to the website to check if another methods is available but it is food for thought.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Having to buy for entries.... Reply with quote

taits wrote:
Having to purchase something in order to enter a sweeps or contest is illegal in many states in the USA.
I have not gone to the website to check if another methods is available but it is food for thought.

Good job it's just a European promotion then ;)

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's illegal in the UK too.
But there's usually some small print that says you can send an SAE to some address to apply as well.

EDIT: A quick Google and I may be wrong...

Quote:
The Gambling Act 2005 states that "payment" includes paying money (or money's worth) or paying more for something to reflect the opportunity to enter the competition. So someone who buys a packet of soap powder which directs buyers to a website competition will be treated as paying to enter that competition if the soap powder costs more than an equivalent non-promotional packet. However if promotional and non-promotional packs cost the same, there will be no payment. It will therefore no longer be necessary to specify a "no purchase necessary" alternative route where a product giving a right to enter a competition is sold at its normal price.
(http://www.out-law.com/page-6780)

There's also another "loophole" if the questions demand a reasonable amount of skill to answer.
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: entering contest, buying something Reply with quote

I believe in Canada they have the "skill" entry ability. One I saw years ago was simple.
Either way its a form of extortion.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: entering contest, buying something Reply with quote

taits wrote:
Either way its a form of extortion.

I think that's a bit extreme... no one is being forced to enter the competition or buy a satnav...

MaFt
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: buy for entries Reply with quote

Maybe, but the requirement for it is met; you need to purchase something in order to get the entry.
I agree no one is 'forced' for participate in the sweeps\contest, but if one wants to do so, guess what they need to buy a product.
The word Intimidation could also be used....
I have no plans to do it but I'm sure there are many who may anyway.
Perhaps hidden somewhere in the 'rules' is a mail in option. but like electronic entries they 'sometimes' get garbled, lost or just plain missing.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your logic is wrong. It is not extortion or intimidation, because you are not forced into doing anything. It is for you decide whether or not you want to enter a competition. When you want to do something, whether it is entering a competition or anything else, you are often required to pay some money to do so. But that does mean it is extortion or intimidation.

By your logic if I want to fly to the Seychelles for a holiday the airline is guilty of extortion and intimidation by demanding that I buy a ticket! And the hotel is just as guilty when they say I have to pay for the room! Rolling Eyes
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the latest skill based competition (lottery) on The Cube:

Q How many wheels on a tricycle?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
Phone calls only cost £1.03 from a landline, but mobiles will be considerably more.

How's that for a bit simple. Still needs skill and knowledge though Rolling Eyes
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Well the latest skill based competition (lottery) on The Cube: ...
I thought it was The Chase. Wink

Anyway I want to win the Lottery, but I'm not going to be coerced into buying a ticket. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are of course right OB. The cube has that really difficult one that is set up especially for the deaf or blind Shocked
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The cube has that really difficult one ...
Surprised

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: