Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android Get Speed Camera Warnings For iPhone
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 30
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 30

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14054
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 30 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
I think it’s safe to say that the majority are struggling financially at the moment and, while interesting to read, there’s not much point reviewing top-of-the-range, flagship devices. Especially when probably 90% of the audience aren’t in a position to splash out on such items. It was for this very reason that we asked Garmin for a nuvi 30 to review - as part of their Essential Range, this is their most basic, entry-level personal navigation device (PND). With an RRP of £79.99 it is certainly more affordable than their £279.99 nuvi 3590LMT.

So, just what do you get for your £80? Just how ‘basic’ is their entry-level nuvi 30? Read on to find out!

Click here to read the full review...
email icon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
worried
Lifetime Member


Joined: Mar 02, 2006
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a low end Garmin 2300 and find the way it treats POI very frustrating, but the mapping is very good, just used it for a long trip from Gateshead to Chelmsford, found that it very quickly changes the calculated route if you make a small deviation, usually within 10 seconds.

on the POI, I have your Speed Camera database installed and although they flash up on the screen, I have been unable to get the speech announcement working.

On other installed POI the Garmin treats them badly, if the place is 10 feet off your road it will not display them, I have had to keep my old NAVCON just so that I can see them, (its maps are now four years old and not supported) My local Tesco has its front entrance on the Market place, but the car park entrance is at the back down a side street, if you go past the road to the Market place, it stops navigating and displaying it..


I have been using Tesco in St Austell recently, my one seemed to work OK, perhaps its because I have your Tesco database set up!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14054
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worried wrote:
on the POI, I have your Speed Camera database installed and although they flash up on the screen, I have been unable to get the speech announcement working.

Have you put 'sox.exe' file in your POILoader software folder?

worried wrote:
I have been using Tesco in St Austell recently, my one seemed to work OK, perhaps its because I have your Tesco database set up!!

More than likely as we have the correct location in our database. As this was a review of the device out of the box I felt it needed highlighting that the inbuilt POIs were inaccurate as opposed to ignoring that and using ours for the review.

MaFt
_________________
MaFt®
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man


Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 9484
Location: Bexhill, East Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 30 Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Especially when probably 90% of the audience aren’t in a position to splash out on such items.
Known fact, statistic, generalisation or wild guess? Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zebsogo
Regular Visitor


Joined: May 17, 2008
Posts: 108
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: NOT ANOTHER Reply with quote

my oh my not another garmin..how many more cheap plastic blocky child like graphics pnd's can Garmin make..rubbish routing too..

I bet you can guess i can't stand Garmin devices
_________________
--
Navigon 92 Premium Live,TomTom Go 6000,Garmin 2699 LTM-D and a TomTom Go 1005 Live ( For the wife )

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TJ63
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jun 19, 2006
Posts: 3
Location: NE Derbyshire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 30 Reply with quote

I've been using one of these for a few months now, and it's a very good device - much better than the predecessor 105. The spoken street names feature is very useful, as most of my journeys are short ones on unfamiliar urban roads.

The only real gripe I have with it is that there is no facility to clear the trip log. You can switch it on or off, but can't clear it. Consequently the display near my home/work is full of annoying blue lines. If anyone knows a way to clear it, I'll be very grateful.


TJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willton
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Link from newsletter Reply with quote

The link to this review from today's newsletter takes you to the CSR chip debut page

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/CSR-debuts-first-SiRFstarV-chip-optimised-for-smartphones-8428.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gurubarry
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 16, 2012
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sensible review, thanks , very useful . Very Happy
_________________
Don't Take Life too Seriously-You'll Never Get Out Alive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23850
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Link from newsletter Reply with quote

willton wrote:
The link to this review from today's newsletter takes you to the CSR chip debut page

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/CSR-debuts-first-SiRFstarV-chip-optimised-for-smartphones-8428.php

An error on my part, corrected in the on-line version here.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
deDion
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jun 23, 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Review. Garmin Nuvi 30. Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,
NUVI 30( but also applies to the NUVI 40 and 50 )
Good review, but I am confused because you say the nuvi 30 reviewed by you has the latest Garmin mapping (2012.10) which according to gpsreview.net(Garmin Nuvi Forum) was issued (Wed )May 18th 2011. and the latest map update was issued (Thu) Aug 16th 2012 being (2013.20) i.e FIVE issues later.However please correct me if this information is wrong.
Demo sat nav at Halfords--- Nuvi 50 also appears to contain an outdated map
(2012.10) which many buyers will presume is the latest. [/u]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14054
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, that looks like an error on my part. The device came pre-installed with 2012.10. Because it has the latest map guaruntee you would be entitled to the latest version of the map when you register it, however as it is a review device I can't actually do all that!

Sorry, and hope that makes sense?

MaFt
_________________
MaFt®
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deDion
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jun 23, 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Review Garmin nuvi 30 Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt reply.Yes ! That makes sense,but still strange that Garmin would designate a map update issued May 2011 as (2012.10). Many customers would assume that it was indeed a 2012 map and possibly not bother to register and claim their update.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man


Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 9484
Location: Bexhill, East Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Review Garmin nuvi 30 Reply with quote

deDion wrote:
strange that Garmin would designate a map update issued May 2011 as (2012.10). Many customers would assume that it was indeed a 2012 map and possibly not bother to register and claim their update.
That's the cynic in you coming out, but that's what sprung to my mind as well but quite how Garmin would gain by that, I'm not sure if they would.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Mar 18, 2011
Posts: 4026
Location: West Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 30 Reply with quote

TJ63 wrote:
I've been using one of these for a few months now, and it's a very good device - much better than the predecessor 105. The spoken street names feature is very useful, as most of my journeys are short ones on unfamiliar urban roads.

The only real gripe I have with it is that there is no facility to clear the trip log. You can switch it on or off, but can't clear it. Consequently the display near my home/work is full of annoying blue lines. If anyone knows a way to clear it, I'll be very grateful.


TJ


A hard reset will Twisted Evil

But I accept that's not practical on a daily basis. I just keep my trip log switched off, can't see any point in having it on Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops © 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
17.043 (17 Apr 19)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







© Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping