Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Traffic provider database is missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Traffic provider database is missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: FM Traffic provider database is missing Reply with quote

Hello o anyone who can help me. I am new to the forum, but am quite frustrated with my Garmin. I purchased a Garmin Nuvi about 2 mos. ago from Walmart. Last month I used it to travel from KY to IA. While traveling through Missouri, "all of a sudden" the maps disappeared and all I was able to use was the actual road direction, but not get any from point to point direction. What showed up on the GPS screen was "The FM Traffic provider database is missing, Go to www.garmin.com/webupdater. I did this, downloaded the updates, but cannot get that to interface between my modem and Garmin. I am using a USB adapter device and making connection with the GPS. We have wireless capability with our internet server, and our computer is Windows XP.
How can I get my GPS to work?? I haven't even been able to use it very long! Thank you for your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm no Garmin expert, but to me it sounds like you have two separate problems or more likely, whatever the *main* problem is ALSO causing the Nuvi to lose FM reception....

Losing the Traffic FM connection shouldn't lose you the basic mapping functionality.

Is the situation still the same? i.e. no maps showing at all?

Have you tried doing a reset of the Nuvi? I believe that is done by pressing and holding the power button (I'm not sure how long for!).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the maps zoned in the states and presumably Missouri is included in your map set? Just a thought Confused
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say which Garmin you have? If you let me know I'll be able to help Smile

Also confirm what mapset you had loaded?
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Thank you. It is a nuvi 1300. Reply with quote

Hi--it is a nuvi 1300. The mapset is the latest USA--preloaded when I purchased it.
Thanks!

Last edited by candycane on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm afraid I'm no Garmin expert, but to me it sounds like you have two separate problems or more likely, whatever the *main* problem is ALSO causing the Nuvi to lose FM reception....

Losing the Traffic FM connection shouldn't lose you the basic mapping functionality.

Have you tried doing a reset of the Nuvi? I believe that is done by pressing and holding the power button (I'm not sure how long for!).

Thank you. You may be right, because now the GPSis powering off and on, "loading maps", then powering off and on. I can do so manually, as well. It just keeps running through the cycle, and sometimes asks me for my PIN. No screen choice isnow shown past this cycling. Weird, huh? and no---it was not damaged or water logged, either. Yes, I have tried resetting. Sorry--I accidently posted a reply twice....

Last edited by candycane on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

You may be rigt abot two separate problems. Now it is really acting strangely. It only runs continuously through cycles of powering off and on, but I can also perform this manually. Sometimes tasks me for my PIN, but nver goes to another sceen. I think its a lemon. Aso, I charged it fully overight and it will not hold a charge---I have t pluged in. No damage has occured to this GPS.

Thank you, Andy.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a polite request along the lines of "Please can I have my money back mister" to me. Sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you tried to reset it? And what happens when you do?
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay---I was able to fianally go to the main screen and have option of selecting the Tool/Wrench icon. I was able to do this when I went to the security location I had prevously programmed. Before that I could not even get that screen.
Anyway, when I select Map Info, there is only a blank screen. Then I went to the address icon, it read "no map data available".
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lso, for ome reason, I am not able to interface the GPS wth the computer. I have download the webupdater maps, but cannot get them to relay to the nuvi. Maybe I need another USB cable??
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with connection could indeed be the cable. You might though want to perform a hard reset, always a good idea when your nuvi doesn't perform as expected. Details are here:

From Garmin's knowledge base
Quote:
Question:
How do I perform a master reset on my nuvi 200, 205, 465, 500, 600, 700, 705 or 1000 series device?

Answer:
To perform a Master Reset on the nuvi 200, 205, 465, 500, 600, 700, 705, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 or 1600 series device:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or Favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your Favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

• Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power

• Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil

• Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON

• Release the power button when the device powers ON

• You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays

• Touch Yes

The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Having done so tap Tools, Settings, Map, Info and see what it says. If you have US maps loaded it will read something like CN NA 2012.10 and there should be a tick mark in the box next to it. If not ticked select it, your maps should now be visible.
candycane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! I have really enjoyed posting with you all and for all words of help and advice. Garmin is sending me a new cable at no cost!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: