Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS won't lock on Samsung Galaxy Portal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS won't lock on Samsung Galaxy Portal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisf_1962
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I must admit I'd never heard of A-GPS before. I'll have to do some more research and in the meantime hope that Lutz can weave some magic and provide a fix for us poor unfortunates.

Cheers

Chris
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-GPS is 'Assisted GPS' i.e. it doesn't just use the satellite signals to get the position. The initial location is estimated using things such as mobile phone cell triangulation, wifi IP location and, sometimes, using tables of data to work out roughly where the satellites should be in order to get their signal faster.

MaFt
MJLONGLEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Portal - Same problem for me too. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

You had totally lost me until the last post 'shed a little light'

Have I got this correct -

Although all the 'smart' devices in question have GPS receivers and the theoretical ability to establish the device location from that alone, some software (Google Maps for instance) first seeks to establish an approximate (is that coarse?) location via the network before 'pin-pointing' the exact location via satellite, whereas Cameralert is attempting to bypass the first step and go directly to satellite location?

If I am correct I still do not understand why the location by satellite alone is failing?

My Mio dedicated SatNav with no network usually picks up 5-8 satellites in my conservatory and the Cameralert on the Dell also works OK there.
Google Maps on both Dell & Samsung works fine there also.

Both the Dell & Samsung are on the '3' network.

Mike Longley.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy Portal - Same problem for me too. Reply with quote

MJLONGLEY wrote:
Although all the 'smart' devices in question have GPS receivers and the theoretical ability to establish the device location from that alone, some software (Google Maps for instance) first seeks to establish an approximate (is that coarse?) location via the network before 'pin-pointing' the exact location via satellite, whereas Cameralert is attempting to bypass the first step and go directly to satellite location?

Partly correct, CamerAlert is not 'attempting' to bypass coarse location data, it is ignoring it completely as it is not accurate enough to be of any use.

This appears to identify a bug on some devices that will only deliver GPS data on top of coarse location. If you ignore coarse location you don't get GPS. This only affects some platforms it would seem.

So GPS is not failing, but is is being blocked on the handset because we choose not to accept coarse location data as it is not suitable for our purposes.
MJLONGLEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Portal - Same problem for me too. Reply with quote

Thanks.

So -

software that accepts initial 'coarse' location is allowed access to GPS location

BUT

software that ignores initial 'coarse' location is denied access to GPS location, and therefore any form of location establishment

on this particular device.

Correct?

Mike Longley.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy Portal - Same problem for me too. Reply with quote

MJLONGLEY wrote:
So -

software that accepts initial 'coarse' location is allowed access to GPS location

BUT

software that ignores initial 'coarse' location is denied access to GPS location, and therefore any form of location establishment

on this particular device.

Correct?

As far as we can figure it, yes. But we're still looking into the finer details. Lots of discussion of this issue on other Android forums.

Once we can be certain of the cause we can look at what options are open to us to circumvent it.
Geologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy Portal - Same problem for me too. Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as we can figure it, yes. But we're still looking into the finer details. Lots of discussion of this issue on other Android forums.

Once we can be certain of the cause we can look at what options are open to us to circumvent it.

Hi

Have you managed to resolve this issue yet as I am having the same problem (No GPS Fix with Samsung Galaxy Portal while Google maps etc works correctly).

Regards
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest app version (on the Android market) has a switch to enable network location fix. That _should_ solve the problem. Please try it out.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
the latest app version (on the Android market) has a switch to enable network location fix. That _should_ solve the problem. Please try it out.

hint: it's under 'Advanced settings'

MaFt
Geologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I've updated and will have a look when I get outside
MJLONGLEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: GPS won't lock on Samsung Galaxy Portal Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I haven't had time to try it 'on the move' in the car yet, but it is certainly working at home now whereas previously it was not!

Thanks for the hint on where to find the setting,without that I doubt that I would have located it.
Geologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - seemed to have worked for me to (only tested on my bike though! Very Happy )
MJLONGLEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: GPS won't lock on Samsung Galaxy Portal Reply with quote

Hi again Guys,

Sorry - I spoke too soon - it is not working!

I spent time yesterday and today out in the car with the Samsung Galaxy Portal and the Dell Streak.
The Dell Streak works perfectly but the Samsung fails to lock on and therefore the icon stays Red. It tracks my progress on the map OK and shows the yellow camera location warning icons OK (which previously it did not do) but the speed indicator remains at 0 and there are no warnings whatsoever.
Occasionally the icon briefly turns Blue, usually when stationary at a junction or traffic lights (also in the house which is why I initially thought all was well) but the moment the car begins to move it goes Red again.

I tried setting the new Network switch on the Dell Streak but it had no adverse effect, it continued to behave perfectly.

Is there anything else that you want me to try to attempt to 'pin down' the problem?

Mike Longley.
chrisf_1962
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me I'm afraid. I downloaded the update, found the switch and turned it on after a few seconds the map corrected itself and the gps indicator went blue. Unfortunately after a couple of seconds more it went red and I've never managed to get a gps lock since.

Cheers

Chris
Geologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out today in the car for the first time and unfortunately it's the same for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: