Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google send to GPS function
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google send to GPS function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blokeinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Google send to GPS function Reply with quote

Hi All

Please can someone advise. I have looked on the various manufacturers web sites and there is little if nothing on this very useful funtion, "Google send to GPS function".

Its really frustrating so I am hoping that someone here can advise.

I am looking for a new GPS that has Europe mapping for a trip to france in a couple of weeks time.

I was thinking of the Garmin Nuvi 1690 as it seems good value for money and I think that it has the send to gps function, plus traffic, plus I think IQ routes.. and advanced lane guidance.. This last part I think I will need around Paris!!

This only thing is that I have read some very average reports from customer feedback on Amazom. Someone said that you cannot use the PC conectivity software on Windows 7 64bit? I have this!! :-(
Does anyone out there know if this is true?
Also some reviews/reports on here indicate that the touch screen is not all that!

Can anyone say what a good GPS would be to buy at the moment?
With my feature set in mind...?
Thank you.,..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, have a look at the TomTom XL IQ Live as that meets your shopping list, the Live services of these "On Line" devices lets you search Google for a destination while you are out and about. IQ Routes is a TomTom feature not Garmin, although Garmin do have something similar.

Not too sure why the PC connection for sending Google data to the device is so important though as I don't understand what you are looking for with this requirement - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i know the function you mean but it can only be used for business addresses if i recall correctly...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to read my review of the nuvi 1690 here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmin-nuvi1690-review-jm815.php

there is a section on the send to gps under the 'nulink' services part.

the 'pc connectivity software' is not required for the google send to gps - if you register the nuvi 1690 with garmin (myGarmin) then you can send it via the inbuilt SIM card. to be honest, it's not actually that useful...

the 'pc connectivity software' will likely be the Garmin Updater (firmware/software updates etc) and POILoader (required for adding 3rd party POIs such as our speed camera data or our points of interest files. both these work fine on win7 32 bit but i've not installed win7 64bit (i should have done but i hadn't realised my CPU was 64bit until way after getting everything set up again!!)

the best thing to do would be to download the software (for free) from garmin: http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/ and http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

hope this helps?

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These seem to be the manufacturers who's products work with the "Google send to GPS" feature

TomTom and Garmin are the market leaders, so I would look at their offerings first.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: