Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom XL Uk version, exact postcode problem...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom XL Uk version, exact postcode problem...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom XL Uk version, exact postcode problem... Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am looking for some help please.
I have had a G0300 for years, but for Christmas I bought a XL UK only machine.
I love the larger screen etc, and I have updated the maps to the latest version, but this is something different I believe.

I have a big issue to the effect that the old 300 seems so much better than my new machine. That is typing an exact post code in, for in this case a mechanics work unit on a long road.
The Postcode is BN16 4ET. When I tap it into the GO300 I can just click Done after the postcode as the mechanics does not have a house number, just the postcode. I click Done again, and the Go300 sorts the route out correctly.

With the XL I click on Postcode, and tap in the code - BN16 4ET, but at this point I have to click on Arundel Road, as there isnt a Done button. As I have had to do that it asks for a House number, but the mechanics doesnt have a house number or any other number!! I just want to put the postcode in like I used to on the Go300!!

Because of this, I just could not find this address at all , and had to come home and use my Go300, which still works :-)

Is there a way around this as if i am doing it correctly, this seems like a backwards step :-(

I hope that you understand my question, as this will also apply to addresses that just have a house name, rather than a house number.
Please tell me there is a workaround for this?
Thanks
Ben
[/i]
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its is a known issue. Some devices have the 'anywhere' button on the postcode entry screen like on my GO 950. Some devices, like yours, seem to not have this option in the current version of the software.

It is a backwards step by Tomtom, and I believe they should correct this for all models.

I don't know of any workaround currently other that ringing Tomtom support and venting your anger in the hope they add this functionality to all models!

Steven

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do ring them/email them to complain, do note (as Falkirk says) that it is a problem with the latest software versions rather than a problem with the map.
TomTom will probably reply that it is a new "feature" so you have to be pretty firm explaining what a pain in the behind it is.
Give your example above with as much detail as possible so they can recreate it.
benus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

Wow, I cant believe that they cant understand the confusion this causes. Such a backward step in my opinion.

I was hoping I was being a nOOb, but alas I wasnt for a change!

Thanks
Ben
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, you may be interested in reading this thread where this new "feature" was discussed. As you will see, some of us complained to TomTom, who said they may change it back in a future application. Don't hold your breath though!
Samsung Galaxy S21
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On my XL IQ Routes when you enter a postcode it comes up with the street name,you tap on street name and it comes up with house number ,on the bottom row of key pad it gives the options of back-anywhere-done.

Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

washman wrote:
Hi

On my XL IQ Routes....... it gives the options of back-anywhere-done.

As Falkirk says....
falkirk81 wrote:
Some devices have the 'anywhere' button on the postcode entry screen like on my GO 950.

Strangely enough, it seems the "XL" and the "XL IQ Routes" are sufficiently different machines to have different software versions (although quite possibly with the same version number).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
washman wrote:
Hi

On my XL IQ Routes....... it gives the options of back-anywhere-done.

As Falkirk says....
falkirk81 wrote:
Some devices have the 'anywhere' button on the postcode entry screen like on my GO 950.

Strangely enough, it seems the "XL" and the "XL IQ Routes" are sufficiently different machines to have different software versions (although quite possibly with the same version number).

Both of them and you have Navcore 9 of one variation or another. My XL Live IQ doesn't offer "anywhere", with Navcore 8.417 and I haven't been offered Navcore 9 by Home (probably because I refused 8.something later than .417 because it didn't have TTS). If it's a "legal" update via Home to Navcore 9 I'd consider it if/when the other Andy gets TTS working on it, (nudge, nudge).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy of my mail to tom tom customer services.

Some while ago you updated the navcore for my model too V8.351. Since then I discovered a problem with navigating to a post code without knowing the house/building number.

I recently had to travel to Peterborough, a garden centre in the middle of nowhere, entered the given number 1, as I had no idea what number any nearby houses may have had, and since having found the centre there where no houses anywhere in sight, and after going up and down for a couple of miles with no joy, I bit the bullet and followed my nose(as I used to pre satnav ). Then found the place some 6 miles from where my Go sent me.

Previously I could have navigated to the post code without entering a house number, and as in past journey's usually got me pretty near where I needed to be.

Whilst I agree post codes can cover a large area, I have no doubt that it would still have saved me the 1/2 hour or so it took and without the frustration.

Upon reading a some forum posts on this subject, I found that, following advice from yourselves, the problem is resolved by installing a previous version of the navcore (8.302).

Whilst this has returned a particularly useful functionality I am know losing out on any improved features of later versions.

Can you please advise when this feature will be added back again?

And their reply, draw your own conclusions.

The option for the house number was introduced to get you to the exact destination you were looking for. However, in some cases when you don't know the house number it can cause a problem.

In some cases you may be able to bypass with out entering a house number, and this in turn will take you to a central point within the postcode.

There is no immediate solution for this but I have passed on your feedback to our 2nd line team who will take on this on board for the next application update.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

With Kind Regards
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
RogerGW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you do ring them/email them to complain, do note (as Falkirk says) that it is a problem with the latest software versions rather than a problem with the map.

This has just happened to me on my XL. I bought and installed the Western Europe map yesterday and noticed the truncation of postcodes when I next used it. Uninstalling that map and reinstalling the UK one has made no difference, alas.

The device software version is 8.014. Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version to cure this problem? Or should I give the XL to my son and buy another make?

TIA,

Roger
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerGW wrote:
I bought and installed the Western Europe map yesterday and noticed the truncation of postcodes when I next used it.

Are you sure that this is the same problem as being described in the rest of the thread? Are you only seeing 3/4 digit postcodes instead of the full 7 digit ones? If so, it's a different problem, and easily solved by installing the postcodes file separately (we can describe this when your exact problem is identified).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, connect the device to your PC and switch it on, use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the TomTom can you now see a folder named "zip" (without the "") if so open the zip folder, are there any files in it? - Mike
RogerGW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that this is the same problem as being described in the rest of the thread?

Ah. I see that it's not (but it is *an* exact postcode problem. BG). Sorry.

...easily solved by installing the postcodes file separately

I saw that thread but wasn't sure it applied to my device. Thanks.

Roger
RogerGW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Roger, connect the device to your PC and switch it on, use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the TomTom can you now see a folder named "zip" (without the "") if so open the zip folder, are there any files in it? - Mike

There's no such folder on the device, although there is one in the backup I ran this morning. It's empty.

Roger

[A few minutes later] Further rooting around shows that there is something in that directory in the previous backup. They're labelled Great_Britain.postal and Great_Britain.postal.ver. The larger of the two is 9288KB in size.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the 2 files you need in the zip Folder. As you have the Western Europe Map you may want to have the Netherlands Files also.

The latest versions of both can be found Here.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: