Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dartford Bridge SPECS cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dartford Bridge SPECS cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds wise spook51

I only regged up here to help rather than just moan about the idiot warnings the InfoRad gives from this site's database.

So far I'm thinking why did I bother. I've submitted two corrections of cameras and I get an auto response saying "thanks for the addition". There is seemingly no mechanism to correct cameras, there is seemingly a policy to enter error 0mph values for Variables and now we have an argument about whether those inactive QE2 bridge cams are inactive or not.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a matter of much debate, but I would much rather have the occasional false warning (mobile warnings anyone?) for a dummy camera than to suddenly come across what looks like an enforcement camera where I wasn't expecting one.

Sorry guys, but I'm NOT going to take your word for it that a particular camera is on test or not in use. I want to be warned for ANY camera that could be used for enforcement and I'll make up my own mind thank you very much. Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure if anyone comes up with some practical ways of synchronising the camera database with the real world in real time, Darren and the staff would be delighted. For instance, now variables get dragged in - if they are not set to 0mph how can you set them - have someone standing in the middle of the M25 phoning Darren everytime the advisory limit changes because of traffic conditions Rolling Eyes Laughing ?

Please, Let's Stay Real.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
there is seemingly a policy to enter error 0mph values for Variables .......
BigPerk wrote:
For instance, now variables get dragged in - if they are not set to 0mph how can you set them

Perhaps it would be better to have the variables set to 70MPH to warn the driver of the presence of a cam, but not to give a possible continuous overspeed warning on some systems, after all, the variable speed limit signs are a littile difficult to miss.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
There is seemingly no mechanism to correct cameras,.
Shocked Yes there is. It's on the submission page in the 'Action' drop down box and is called 'Change Existing Camera' Very Happy
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, didn't spot that Embarassed
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SteveMPS.
Please don't let the bickering of the more long in the tooth members put you off. Shocked We really do appreciate ALL submissions, (even though sometimes it does not look like it)Very Happy and remember that you can pick up a lifetime membership by submitting a new cam (subject to conditions) Very Happy Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I haven't noticed any bickering TBH. This is quite important because of quite strong views of both those who don't want 'superfluous' warnings and those who would rather be 'safe than sorry'. What's put in or left out is a crucial point of the database and PGPSW has to do its best to get the balance right, as it does try to do (IMHO). I too hope SteveMPS finds the cameras useful enough at least generally.

M8TJT - I take it from what you say that people who I presume may not necessarily subscribe (financially) directly to the site but have the database through a 3rd party (Inforad in this case) also qualify for free membership? How does that work?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I have to say I haven't noticed any bickering TBH. This is quite important because of quite strong views of both those who don't want 'superfluous' warnings and those who would rather be 'safe than sorry'. I too hope SteveMPS finds the cameras useful enough at least generally.
Perhaps "quite strong views" is a better expression.
BigPerk wrote:
M8TJT - I take it from what you say that people who I presume may not necessarily subscribe (financially) directly to the site but have the database through a 3rd party (Inforad in this case) also qualify for free membership? How does that work?
I don't know Embarassed I hadn't thought of that Embarassed What I understand of the Inforad is that it continually beeps on an overspeed, so, if this is the case, I can understand SteveMPS's concerns.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the bickering (if that's what it was) is OK. I'm no shrinking violet.

Can I suggest someone with the posting rights starts two polls:

- What should the database default be for known long term inactive cameras?
and
- What should be the database default entries for variables?

FWIW I'd go for "set as mobile" and "set as default speed limit" respectively as they seem to be the most logically correct entries. However there are thousands of users out there with established expectations of the database.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Perhaps it would be better to have the variables set to 70MPH to warn the driver of the presence of a cam

but then cameras in school zones (20mph thru day and 30mph after etc) would be flagged as 70mph... which is just silly.

BigPerk wrote:
I take it from what you say that people who I presume may not necessarily subscribe (financially) directly to the site but have the database through a 3rd party (Inforad in this case) also qualify for free membership?

no. to qualify you need to be a paid subscriber to pgpsw at the time of submission.

SteveMPS wrote:
FWIW I'd go for "set as mobile" and "set as default speed limit"

but it doesn't move, so it's not mobile! and what do you mean the 'default speed limit'?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Perhaps it would be better to have the variables set to 70MPH to warn the driver of the presence of a cam
but then cameras in school zones (20mph thru day and 30mph after etc) would be flagged as 70mph... which is just silly.

Yes I agree. A setting 70MPH in the school etc. scenario would be rediculous. I was considering only motorway variables. What I perhaps should have said, like SteveMPS said, set them to the default speed limit, i.e. the normal limit when no other restrictions apply. In your example of the school zone, 30MPH and in my example of a motorway, 70MPH.

Edit. And I think that SteveMPS's point is that sometimes they will get you and sometimes they won't, just like mobiles.
Edit2. Don't forget that the management's decision is final. Very Happy
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
What I understand of the Inforad is that it continually beeps on an overspeed, so, if this is the case, I can understand SteveMPS's concerns.

That sounds like a design deficiency in the speed camera warning unit rather than a problem with the database... Confused
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SteveMPS and M8TJT do provide a starting point at least to how to deal with these awkward points.

For specs MaFt says
Quote:
but it doesn't move, so it's not mobile!
True literally, but that's surely just what you decide to call the category - sets have been merged before, quite recently in fact. And what I suggested earlier was that they be handled in a similar way to mobiles, which amounts to the same sort of idea. They are very similar in being 'now they work, now they don't' types of cameras.

For variables
Quote:
the 'default speed limit'?
would be as M8TJT suggests, the road-class-maximum (or, if you can tell them apart, leave those in sub-40 areas alone and just set the higher ones to the default speed limit). As suggested, approach warnings would still be given but not the continuous overspeed ones, which seem to be the irritants.

If the 'management' see any merit in the points being made, they will no doubt come up with a better solution. If they decide it's not an issue worth bothering about, then I can't say it's going to phase me at all. We are just talking ideas here after all, not criticisms.

Skippy - I thought Garmin gave overspeed warnings as well??
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
. . .
That sounds like a design deficiency in the speed camera warning unit rather than a problem with the database... Confused

If I was Mr/Ms InfoRad I'd say it was t'other way round. From their point of view they have bought a licence to the database in good faith and implemented a valid algorithm that sounds the alert if the actual speed exceeds the reference speed. Why should they have to do different?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: