Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Couple of pointers on 950
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of pointers on 950

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Couple of pointers on 950 Reply with quote

I got my Tom tom 950 a few days ago and just thought would put a few points and a few questions here, I have noticed that the speedcamera database from tom tom on the 950 shows the wrong speeds, for 30 mph it shows 19 mph miles an hour, 40 i think its 27 mph and for 50 its 37mph when these cameras come up, when I connect it to the home docks for updates it says I should download the tom tom speedcamera database and also the premium whats the difference. The pocket gps database shows the correct speeds. And from Crewe to bristol via m6 and m5 its telling me there are 64 speedcamers.

Also I have about 41 pois on the unit, but it seems to slow the smoothness of the running of 950 when looking at the maps looks a bit jerky

Is the sim card in the unit 3g enabled now to provide faster data?

I have also noticed that the iq routes shows a lot more info to the unit , ie adding 3 mins on to my drive as the tomtom puts it due to busy roads at that time of day.

Also when the unit switches from day to nightime mode, it now seems to hang onto the daytime mode a lot longer and it has to get a lot darker for the unit to switch over.

I do notice that the unit does take a little longer to find a gps signal in my front room, even with the quick gps fix dowloaded, also when using the unit it sometimes loooses the hd traffic on a journey.

Also one thing tomtom have told me is that the only computer voice for the 950 at the moment is kate as for somereaon it does not allow to download the uk male computer voice, anyone else had this.

And for some reason I keep getting a wind symbol on my tomtom best way to desribe it is a red triangle with a stripey sock or another way would be a barbers sign at an angle.

Hope you guys can help me here thanx
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speeds you are getting wrong are some conversion of mph and Km/hr, but just why I don't know. And I don't know how you display the number of (TomTom) cameras en route, so can't repeat this demonstration myself. I would believe they get that many if they are showing "en route" for nearby cameras (but last time I did that route, there were quite a lot of Specs cameras about, maybe half a dozen sites with at least four cameras per site, both ways would bump the total to 50 easily and once TT cotton onto a site, they tend to keep them there long after they've gone). Only TT seem to know the difference between cameras and Premium cameras, unless the non-premium ones are mobile "possible" sites. I do know the TT warnings are different for possible mobile and (supposedly) active mobile sites. And you won't be offered them if/when your Live Services expire. You already have the solution to all these speed camera issues - don't worry about it, dump TT ones and use PGPSW ones. Incidentally, steer clear of M5 Junction 17 today - it'll be a driving nightmare with (probably) queues to get off for Cribbs Causeway shopping mall.

If POI displays are causing the unti to slow down, disable the display of the POIs - no need to delete them, just don't show them, you'll still be able to search and navigate to them.

QuickGPSFix is considered by some of us to be of little or no use if you use the device regularly, as connecting to the satellites downloads from them sufficient fix data to keep you going. I use my devices almost every day, 7 days a week and have not downloaded QuickGPSFix for nearly two years!

The wind symbol is precisely that, a wind sock and it's displayed when TT think there's a traffic strong wing problem. It's part of HD traffic service. The locations of the wind socks don't seem to have any bearing on places where there are side wind problems though!

I haven't got a 950 myself and I'm rather thinking most of your other issues are comparison with previous models so I can't help there

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Couple of pointers on 950 Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
I got my Tom tom 950 a few days ago and just thought would put a few points and a few questions here, I have noticed that the speedcamera database from tom tom on the 950 shows the wrong speeds, for 30 mph it shows 19 mph miles an hour, 40 i think its 27 mph and for 50 its 37mph when these cameras come up, when I connect it to the home docks for updates it says I should download the tom tom speedcamera database and also the premium whats the difference. The pocket gps database shows the correct speeds. And from Crewe to bristol via m6 and m5 its telling me there are 64 speedcamers.

This is a known bug that will require a new release of Navcore software for your device, this affects all x50 devices and some of the other units now running Navcore 9.

mjdj1689 wrote:
Also I have about 41 pois on the unit, but it seems to slow the smoothness of the running of 950 when looking at the maps looks a bit jerky

Go to Change Preferences/ Show POI on map and de-select all the POI ticked, your display refresh rate will go back to normal.

mjdj1689 wrote:
Is the sim card in the unit 3g enabled now to provide faster data?

No, the only mention of the x50 being 3G was part of an April fool joke from earlier this year, the modem fitted to the device is GPRS and certainly not 3G.

mjdj1689 wrote:
I have also noticed that the iq routes shows a lot more info to the unit , ie adding 3 mins on to my drive as the tomtom puts it due to busy roads at that time of day.

Navcore 9 splits the delay to your journey and shows two parts, the delay due to normal traffic flow (from the IQ Routes data) and any other time delay due to actual traffic conditions from the Live HD Traffic.

mjdj1689 wrote:
I do notice that the unit does take a little longer to find a gps signal in my front room, even with the quick gps fix dowloaded, also when using the unit it sometimes loooses the hd traffic on a journey.

The unit isn't designed to be used inside a house but as you have seen it does work, as for HD Traffic lossthis could be a lack of Vodafone cell coverage for the modem or a server outage at TomTom, difficult to work out which.

mjdj1689 wrote:
Also one thing tomtom have told me is that the only computer voice for the 950 at the moment is kate as for somereaon it does not allow to download the uk male computer voice, anyone else had this.

This is a known bug which is currently being looked in to, if you want the Simon TTS voice simply manually download it from Here then use WinRar to install the files to your device, if you need more specific instructions just ask as its not difficult to do.

mjdj1689 wrote:
And for some reason I keep getting a wind symbol on my tomtom best way to desribe it is a red triangle with a stripey sock or another way would be a barbers sign at an angle.

Yes acording to the TomTom system it is currently high winds across huge areas of Europe including the UK, the sign is incorrect as it should be warning of Ice/ Snow and the unit should be displaying a snow flake, its another one thats being looked in to at the moment - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did get a snowflake earlier this week.

Is the windsock an overlay Mike?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is the windsock an overlay Mike?

Its an area weather warning but the symbol should be for Ice/ Snow not high winds! - Mike
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your replys it has helped me a lot, happy new year to everyone .
8enjamin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Go 950 safety camera alerts Reply with quote

Anyone know how to turn off the Tom Tom safety camera alerts - I use PGW ones ( as they are better) but currently I get both.

I can't seem to get to the advanced safety camera screen shown in the tutorials - Please help the TT camera are so out of date!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Go 950 safety camera alerts Reply with quote

8enjamin wrote:
I can't seem to get to the advanced safety camera screen shown in the tutorials
Are you using This tutorial? Confused

At which point are you stuck?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I didn't remember writing that!

As an alternative, if you just want to turn off the TT-supplied warnings, rather then uninstall them completely:

1. Tap "LIVE Services" or "TomTom Services"in the main menu
2. Tap "TomTom Safety cameras"
3. Tap "Disable alerts"
8enjamin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P and Oldboy - have actually done both of these now - hope it works. Will test this out tomorrow. Don't know why I didn't find that menu before - I've spent hours looking through for this.

The menus in my TT Home page were different - only two pages - but still found it it the end.

Any ideas on another issue I have - I keep getting an error on my TT - TT server error - 1502 - any ideas? Is this linked to safety camera positons I may have recorded while I have been trying to turn off alerts?

Sorry for the extra question!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: