Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - External Battery Pack for Go 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

External Battery Pack for Go 500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: External Battery Pack for Go 500 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if such a thing exists, as occasionally I have to drive a vehicle that does not have a working cigarette lighter.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a lot of external battery packs, but some of them only come with a USB connector, meaning they are good for later models of TomTom, but not for the 500 unless you replace the plug yourself.

However, I think you might be interested in the review of the "PowerMonkey" system, which was reviewed on this very site HERE and has a selection of "tips" to suit many different charging connections.

------------------------------------------

But as an alternative for those times when you find you've got a duff cigarette lighter in the vehicle, how about a simple cable with two car battery crocodile clips to a cigarette lighter socket? Then you can use the normal TomTom charger as usual.

I used to have one for camping (charging phones, LED lanterns etc.) before I had a car with a tow-bar socket with a constantly live battery feed.

I either used it with the cable running straight from the battery posts under the bonnet out into the tent, or if we wanted to charge something while out walking, I just ran it neatly back into the car through the door rubber by the windscreen pillar and locked the doors on it.

I haven't got a picture of it, but it only cost a couple of quid and it's basically a pair of these:

Maplins part number FS86T (red) and FS87U (black)

.....and a length of two core cable, plus one of these:

Maplins part number FE42V.

or you can use a ready-made extension lead and replace the plug with the croc clips:

for example this one (part number BV47B):

or this one (part number A51HA):

Be aware that although the TomTom charger has it's own safety fuse, if you use the cable for anything else, it should have a fuse fitted in-line, or be wired via a fused circuit in the car.
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At £65.00 inc VAT, the Powertraveller costs more than I want to pay for something I'll only use occasionally and I don't want a long lead trailing from the battery.

What do you think of this ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TomTom-Garmin-SatNav-GPS-External-Battery-Extender-Pack_W0QQitemZ320449599826QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=8b2c1fe11250a0aad2644f44ffc8cb8c
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these external packs for my TomTom, and it does exactly as it says on the tin/box. It also comes with separate adaptors to suit my phone and MP3 player. Excellent value for money and portablepowersupplies are good people to deal with.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young-goat wrote:
At £65.00 inc VAT, the Powertraveller costs more than I want to pay for something I'll only use occasionally and I don't want a long lead trailing from the battery.

That's me shot down in flames then! Smile

young-goat wrote:
What do you think of this ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TomTom-Garmin-SatNav-GPS-External-Battery-Extender-Pack_W0QQitemZ320449599826QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=8b2c1fe11250a0aad2644f44ffc8cb8c

Looks good!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: