Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld Newsletter - Formatting Issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld Newsletter - Formatting Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC HTML is restricted to Admin Log-Ins, it's not some power crazed choice of ours but I'll check. Daft that you can't paste it in code tags though!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Looking at the stats, the majority of readers are using Hotmail and Outlook Express which works ok.

Not for me it doesn't! I'm using Outlook Express 6 (I think this is the latest available for XP but please let me know if I'm wrong) and it's behaving just as SpikeyMikey describes. Previous newsletters also displayed perfectly for me.

I know how much work you've put into this, Darren, and can understand how frustrating it must be for you. I'm not complaining, just trying to keep you informed!
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a simple newsletter email:

Quote:

[LOGO]
Our latest newsletter is now available online. Click the link below to view it:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/newsletters/newsletter-latest.htm

Thanks,

The PocketGPSWorld.com Team

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
If I validate the newsletter HTML in my HTML validator application, or using validator.w3.org, there are dozens of errors the your HTML (admittedly, most would not affect the rendering though) but
the main error message flagged is the the missing DOCTYPE declaration so the validator wasnt even able to tell if it was HTML or XHTML - let alone the desired rendering mode.

online version (newsletter-latest.htm) now validates correctly for both html and css.

MaFt
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
IIRC HTML is restricted to Admin Log-Ins, it's not some power crazed choice of ours but I'll check. Daft that you can't paste it in code tags though!

IIRC we pulled this facility some time ago as spammers abused the forums with redirect codes and pop-ups.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
IIRC we pulled this facility some time ago as spammers abused the forums with redirect codes and pop-ups.

Ah yes that does ring a vague bell, thanks Rob! And damn how bad is my memory these days?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Hmm, that site shows Outlook 2003 rendering it properly and Gmail not. So it's only 'some' versions of Outlook.

Yep, thats what mine looks like in Gmail as well.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Yep, thats what mine looks like in Gmail as well.

Yup, Gmail ignores almost all CSS. Very poor.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: PocketGPSWorld Newsletter - Formatting Issues Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
CSS is the defacto code for layout of web pages and has been in force for years.
Indeed, so why you expect it to work in an email message beats me. HTML is designed for web pages, it is not designed for emails.

Am I the only one here who only ever reads email in plain ASCII, and has therefore never read the PocketGPSWorld newsletter?

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: PocketGPSWorld Newsletter - Formatting Issues Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
Am I the only one here who only ever reads email in plain ASCII, and has therefore never read the PocketGPSWorld newsletter

You're certainly one of the a diminishing number yes!

The Newsletter is designed to raise the profile of and increase traffic to our site. As such it needs to grab the readers attention and stand out. A text only email would not serve that purpose in any shape or form.

Look at any emails from a myriad of companies, they are ALL in HTML for a good reason. The only argument for text was the slow speed of dial-up modems, that is no longer an issue for most users.

But perhaps you're right and BA, Harrods, Apple, Microsoft, Ford and all the others whose emails are HTML are all wrong.

You could argue that we don't need a graphical internet either, let's go back to text based bulletin boards instead Rolling Eyes

And the Newsletter can be received as text if you prefer, it's an option when you sign up. But in our case you then get a short message with a link to the web page version.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: PocketGPSWorld Newsletter - Formatting Issues Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And I'll end with saying the Newsletter can be received as text if you prefer, it's an option when you sign up. But in our case you then get a short message with a link to the web page version.
Are you using MIME for that? If so, then why not make the full text of the newsletter available?

As for the marketeers that you mentioned - no, I never read their emails. If they can't give me the information they want to push to me in ASCII, then they don't reach me. If I want to pull information that has a graphical content, then I will visit their web site to obtain it.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

HTML is restricted to Admins in posts so that malicious hackers cannot gain access to the server. Unfortunately if the software was to allow users to post HTML tags it is very easy to compromise the integrity of the server. This is the reason that the Software Developers came up with BB code. This has some similar functions to HTML but is much more secure.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Windows Mail version 6.06000.16386 (vista_rtm061101-2205) and its all in one column.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: PocketGPSWorld Newsletter - Formatting Issues Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
As for the marketeers that you mentioned - no, I never read their emails. If they can't give me the information they want to push to me in ASCII, then they don't reach me. If I want to pull information that has a graphical content, then I will visit their web site to obtain it.

This is an interesting argument. If you take it to the extreme then one would assume that you also object to images on the Internet.

In the early days the Internet was designed to transfer ASCII documents around the academic world as part of the CERN project for studying nuclear physics. This has evolved to support standards for images and videos and varying types of layout and interactive elements. This is of course natural progression.

Email communications are based pretty much on similar standards that have also evolved at the same time. So I have difficulty understanding your stance on multimedia (Standards Based) email communications. Times move on...
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, is there any way to include a screen shot of Outook 203 on Windows XP Home, Sp3?

I have pasted two parts of the view of the message in to a Word document, but I think it's too big to embed here.

Can I e-mail the page?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: