Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map Release Date After V815 Confirmed By TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map Release Date After V815 Confirmed By TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Matt865
Regular Visitor


Joined: Dec 30, 2006
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of big changes that need to happen around where I live thanks to the widening of the M25/A2. A large section of the A2 has been realigned to follow the Channel Tunnel rail link more closely in Kent. It's annoying to have my TT telling me to turn left/right every time I pass near a minor bridge on that road. I do hope they've at least incorporated the new position of that road in the latest Teleatlas release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jan 04, 2007
Posts: 2789
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
TomTom released maps in mid November, the next maps on a quarterly basis should be approx mid Feb. If they are a few days later what does it matter, there will only be a few minor changes and additions?

Yeah but no but yeah but no...the map update subscription was introduced on 26th September, so the 12th November update wasn't a quarter later.

In theory, the second release should be two quarters (6 months) after the initial subscription, which should be around 26th March.

So, in TT's defence, we really shouldn't be moaning that we're now 3 months on from November because that update was "early".
_________________
Andy
PocketGPSWorld.com supports Help for Heroes - Read here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrT
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 14, 2003
Posts: 2143
Location: Surrounded by A1, M1 & M25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the date the subscription was introduced and it is down to individual when they want to subscribe to it and they can subscribe any day in the map release cycle and get an update once a quarter.

So if you subscribe in September you will get your promised 4 quarterly map updates in November, February, May and August on their release dates. The quarter starts from the release date of the last map, not the date of subscription to the service.

If your map is more than a quarter old, you will have to pay to bring it up to date before you can take out the subscription.
_________________
Drivelux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member


Joined: 16/06/2003 05:22:14
Posts: 412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps the discussion; I know exactly when I downloaded my map updates.
It was 10th October 2008, and I know this because I posted that I had lost my favourites as a result of downloading the map update.
Thanks for the help I received, I now know what to do the next time!
_________________
Regards

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Mar 15, 2006
Posts: 3219
Location: Windlesham, Surrey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
So if you subscribe in September you will get your promised 4 quarterly map updates in November, February, May and August on their release dates.

Not necessarily!

Your subscription entitles you to (and I quote from the TomTom website) "four new maps a year". This is not the same as "four quarterly maps". If new maps were released in April, May, June and July TomTom would be fulfilling their commitment.
_________________
Anita
TomTom VIA 135 - App 12.075,
UK map 1090.11467
Samsung Galaxy S8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tigerfan
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jul 04, 2005
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
If it helps the discussion; I know exactly when I downloaded my map updates.
It was 10th October 2008, and I know this because I posted that I had lost my favourites as a result of downloading the map update.
Thanks for the help I received, I now know what to do the next time!


Hoe do you go about saving your favourites, when it comes to map upgrade time please?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LesP2008
Lifetime Member


Joined: Apr 05, 2006
Posts: 524
Location: Herts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita do you by any chance work for a government body or Lewes council. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tigerfan. Look for the file mapsettings. cfg save that and you will be on the right tram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 14869
Location: Keynsham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerfan wrote:
Hoe do you go about saving your favourites, when it comes to map upgrade time please?
If you change them to POIs instead, they'll be transferred to the new map during the installation, same as all other POIs, including the pocketgpsworld.com speed cameras.

How to convert favourites to POIs in 3 easy steps - author Andy_P
_________________
Dennis

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Posts: 581
Location: Medway Towns, Kent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:
There are lots of big changes that need to happen around where I live thanks to the widening of the M25/A2. A large section of the A2 has been realigned to follow the Channel Tunnel rail link more closely in Kent. It's annoying to have my TT telling me to turn left/right every time I pass near a minor bridge on that road. I do hope they've at least incorporated the new position of that road in the latest Teleatlas release.


Don't hold your breath, if you look at the new google maps copyright teleatlas 2009 the A228 road to the Isle of Grain still is not on there, but it has only been open for about 4 years Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrT
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 14, 2003
Posts: 2143
Location: Surrounded by A1, M1 & M25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Your subscription entitles you to (and I quote from the TomTom website) "four new maps a year". This is not the same as "four quarterly maps". If new maps were released in April, May, June and July TomTom would be fulfilling their commitment.


The site actually says "Anyone with a TomTom device can take advantage of our smart TomTom Map Update Service. This service gives you every single release of your map over a 12-month period, from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter. Thatís four new maps a year!"

Every single release of your map over a 12 month period, so there could be more, unlikely I admit unless they create a problem map that needs a fix.
_________________
Drivelux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richard345
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 09, 2008
Posts: 463
Location: Rainhill, Lancashire Not Merseyside!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I do not know the date the subscription was introduced and it is down to individual when they want to subscribe to it and they can subscribe any day in the map release cycle and get an update once a quarter.

So if you subscribe in September you will get your promised 4 quarterly map updates in November, February, May and August on their release dates. The quarter starts from the release date of the last map, not the date of subscription to the service.

If your map is more than a quarter old, you will have to pay to bring it up to date before you can take out the subscription.


That was exactly my point. I paid for the upgrade to the latest map and subscribed to the Update Service in September and downloaded that upgrade on 11/11/08 when Home made it available to me. Therefore by logic, the first Update offering of my 12 month subscription should be 11/02/09.

I have not been offered it yet, nor do TT Support appear to have any idea whatsoever when it might be ready.

I know it's only two days past the 'due' date, but First Line are being kept in the dark by the upper levels of management, who should know that the non arrival of their offerings are a sore point with a very large number of customers.
_________________
Ric - TomTom 520 DEAD - Passed to the great traffic jam in the sky. Now using Maps & Waze on Samsung Galaxy S4 + CamerAlert of course!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member


Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Posts: 1500
Location: Rossendale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Anita wrote:
Your subscription entitles you to (and I quote from the TomTom website) "four new maps a year". This is not the same as "four quarterly maps". If new maps were released in April, May, June and July TomTom would be fulfilling their commitment.


The site actually says "Anyone with a TomTom device can take advantage of our smart TomTom Map Update Service. This service gives you every single release of your map over a 12-month period, from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter. Thatís four new maps a year!"

Every single release of your map over a 12 month period, so there could be more, unlikely I admit unless they create a problem map that needs a fix.


I think this is getting out of hand - new maps are around the corner and will be released when they are released. I know I was one of the instigators, it is only because of the 8.3 Navcore problem that I am counting the days!

Anyway - "from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter. Thatís four new maps a year!" implies one map every quarter. They shouldn't advertise a quarterly equivalent price and indicate that equals 4 maps if they don't want people to expect a new map every 3 months.

But then again they advertised the 920T as being able to do hands free calls (which it does for a while and then crashes), RDS-TMC (which took them 6 months to notice the delay information was rubbish) and TTS voices (which no longer work) amongst many other features which do not perform as advertised, so I shouldn't be surprised really.

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Posts: 581
Location: Medway Towns, Kent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the press release actually said that the raw data was released to users on 11/2 therefore it could take a few weeks to come through as TomTom maps which puts the timeframe to what I was told by Customer Services that they were not expecting any new maps till march.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Typhoon
Occasional Visitor


Joined: May 13, 2006
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just plugged my GO 500 into the PC to download the latest Speed Camera DB and TT Home told me there was a map update available.

So I downloaded it but the installation was aborted as it detected a file that shouldn't have been there.

Don't know whether this was a file left in by the map developers by mistake or whether I have a file from the last update which is now causing the latest update to fall over.

An auto generated report has been despatched to TT.

So now waitng to see what happens next time I connect to TT Home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tigerfan
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jul 04, 2005
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I'll give that a go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops © 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
20.053 (18 May 22)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







© Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping