Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map Release Date After V815 Confirmed By TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map Release Date After V815 Confirmed By TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of big changes that need to happen around where I live thanks to the widening of the M25/A2. A large section of the A2 has been realigned to follow the Channel Tunnel rail link more closely in Kent. It's annoying to have my TT telling me to turn left/right every time I pass near a minor bridge on that road. I do hope they've at least incorporated the new position of that road in the latest Teleatlas release.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
TomTom released maps in mid November, the next maps on a quarterly basis should be approx mid Feb. If they are a few days later what does it matter, there will only be a few minor changes and additions?

Yeah but no but yeah but no...the map update subscription was introduced on 26th September, so the 12th November update wasn't a quarter later.

In theory, the second release should be two quarters (6 months) after the initial subscription, which should be around 26th March.

So, in TT's defence, we really shouldn't be moaning that we're now 3 months on from November because that update was "early".
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the date the subscription was introduced and it is down to individual when they want to subscribe to it and they can subscribe any day in the map release cycle and get an update once a quarter.

So if you subscribe in September you will get your promised 4 quarterly map updates in November, February, May and August on their release dates. The quarter starts from the release date of the last map, not the date of subscription to the service.

If your map is more than a quarter old, you will have to pay to bring it up to date before you can take out the subscription.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps the discussion; I know exactly when I downloaded my map updates.
It was 10th October 2008, and I know this because I posted that I had lost my favourites as a result of downloading the map update.
Thanks for the help I received, I now know what to do the next time!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
So if you subscribe in September you will get your promised 4 quarterly map updates in November, February, May and August on their release dates.

Not necessarily!

Your subscription entitles you to (and I quote from the TomTom website) "four new maps a year". This is not the same as "four quarterly maps". If new maps were released in April, May, June and July TomTom would be fulfilling their commitment.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Tigerfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
If it helps the discussion; I know exactly when I downloaded my map updates.
It was 10th October 2008, and I know this because I posted that I had lost my favourites as a result of downloading the map update.
Thanks for the help I received, I now know what to do the next time!

Hoe do you go about saving your favourites, when it comes to map upgrade time please?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita do you by any chance work for a government body or Lewes council. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tigerfan. Look for the file mapsettings. cfg save that and you will be on the right tram.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerfan wrote:
Hoe do you go about saving your favourites, when it comes to map upgrade time please?
If you change them to POIs instead, they'll be transferred to the new map during the installation, same as all other POIs, including the pocketgpsworld.com speed cameras.

How to convert favourites to POIs in 3 easy steps - author Andy_P

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:
There are lots of big changes that need to happen around where I live thanks to the widening of the M25/A2. A large section of the A2 has been realigned to follow the Channel Tunnel rail link more closely in Kent. It's annoying to have my TT telling me to turn left/right every time I pass near a minor bridge on that road. I do hope they've at least incorporated the new position of that road in the latest Teleatlas release.

Don't hold your breath, if you look at the new google maps copyright teleatlas 2009 the A228 road to the Isle of Grain still is not on there, but it has only been open for about 4 years Laughing
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Your subscription entitles you to (and I quote from the TomTom website) "four new maps a year". This is not the same as "four quarterly maps". If new maps were released in April, May, June and July TomTom would be fulfilling their commitment.

The site actually says "Anyone with a TomTom device can take advantage of our smart TomTom Map Update Service. This service gives you every single release of your map over a 12-month period, from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter. That’s four new maps a year!"

Every single release of your map over a 12 month period, so there could be more, unlikely I admit unless they create a problem map that needs a fix.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I do not know the date the subscription was introduced and it is down to individual when they want to subscribe to it and they can subscribe any day in the map release cycle and get an update once a quarter.

So if you subscribe in September you will get your promised 4 quarterly map updates in November, February, May and August on their release dates. The quarter starts from the release date of the last map, not the date of subscription to the service.

If your map is more than a quarter old, you will have to pay to bring it up to date before you can take out the subscription.

That was exactly my point. I paid for the upgrade to the latest map and subscribed to the Update Service in September and downloaded that upgrade on 11/11/08 when Home made it available to me. Therefore by logic, the first Update offering of my 12 month subscription should be 11/02/09.

I have not been offered it yet, nor do TT Support appear to have any idea whatsoever when it might be ready.

I know it's only two days past the 'due' date, but First Line are being kept in the dark by the upper levels of management, who should know that the non arrival of their offerings are a sore point with a very large number of customers.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Anita wrote:

The site actually says "Anyone with a TomTom device can take advantage of our smart TomTom Map Update Service. This service gives you every single release of your map over a 12-month period, from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter. That’s four new maps a year!"

Every single release of your map over a 12 month period, so there could be more, unlikely I admit unless they create a problem map that needs a fix.

I think this is getting out of hand - new maps are around the corner and will be released when they are released. I know I was one of the instigators, it is only because of the 8.3 Navcore problem that I am counting the days!

Anyway - "from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter. That’s four new maps a year!" implies one map every quarter. They shouldn't advertise a quarterly equivalent price and indicate that equals 4 maps if they don't want people to expect a new map every 3 months.

But then again they advertised the 920T as being able to do hands free calls (which it does for a while and then crashes), RDS-TMC (which took them 6 months to notice the delay information was rubbish) and TTS voices (which no longer work) amongst many other features which do not perform as advertised, so I shouldn't be surprised really.

Andy
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the press release actually said that the raw data was released to users on 11/2 therefore it could take a few weeks to come through as TomTom maps which puts the timeframe to what I was told by Customer Services that they were not expecting any new maps till march.
Typhoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just plugged my GO 500 into the PC to download the latest Speed Camera DB and TT Home told me there was a map update available.

So I downloaded it but the installation was aborted as it detected a file that shouldn't have been there.

Don't know whether this was a file left in by the map developers by mistake or whether I have a file from the last update which is now causing the latest update to fall over.

An auto generated report has been despatched to TT.

So now waitng to see what happens next time I connect to TT Home.
Tigerfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I'll give that a go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: