Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - *** how new are new maps ***
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

*** how new are new maps ***
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: *** how new are new maps *** Reply with quote

tomtom one w europe v2
feel a bit cheated.
bit the bullet and bought updated map from v6.75 to v7.20. today, drove thru dartford tunnel onto the a2 near gravesend and 'new map' still shows me in the middle of a field for about 5 miles. just like the old map. this road layout has been here for a good 18 months and planned for years previous.
seems like i should have saved my money and stuck with older maps???
so.... how up to date are these so called new maps??
my advice, save your money.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common complaint from people who have bought new maps. I'm sure you could search the forum for dozens of similar queries.

It can take around two years between TeleAtlas mapping the data and TomTom releasing a map. See this article for some more info.

I never understand why some people seem to update their maps so regularly - did they used to buy a paper atlas every year?

If you have any specific requests for information about data that may have been updated on a new map, just ask here, and someone is bound to be able to tell you whether it has changed or not!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tonygold
I know that it can be a exasperating when you are driving along a motorway yet Tomtom shows you that you are in the middle of a field but the problem is quite rare and you will still get to your destination. I know the stretch of road that you mention and my Tomtom shown the same errors did yours. On the other hand I have just done two thousand miles in France (Map 720) and all went perfectly.

However, I agree that its about time that the stretch of road in question appeared on the map.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand your comments. i held off and held off before buying the maps. from v6.75 to v7.20 i felt was quite a jump. maybe expected more (too much). also interested to see any differences when i drive in spain, costa blanca south.
on my old maps many rounabouts were not shown, am now wondering if they'll appear on the 'new' maps.
anyway, still a fantastic bit of kit that i couldn't live / work without!!!
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just changed from v 6.5 to 7.2 for UK and whilst I did not expect the inclusion of a new roundabout nearby that has been there for about 5 months, I would have expected a change in speed limits from 70mph down to 60 and 50 upon two separate sections of dual carriageway about 5 miles from me that have been in force for more than two years but don't yet show the speeds correctly. The speed cameras upon the same road are correct and they have been in place for only about 1 year, but they of course were shown on the old maps so no change there.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EricWB
Some people buy each map update that comes along with very little benefit. It can become an expensive pastime too.
A friend of mine is a courier and has a PDA still running Tomtom Navigator 3, and that is going back a bit. However, he still gets to his delivery addresses and suffers no adverse effects.
He says that although new stretches of motorways have been added etc and are not shown on his PDA a bit of common sense soon overcomes. And more importantly, 6 Bridge Row and 21 Church Lane will still be in the same places as they were 20 years ago
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
alrobbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very frustrating the length of time that it takes to put in "new" roads etc and I too enjoyed the fun on that stretch of road a month ago.

However, if any of you have v7.20 or v8.05 (i think that's the equiv), and are able to take a drive up the A1 past Stamford, marvel at the map which has completed the road works! Actually, it had them completed almost before they physically started!!! Laughing Now I can't wait for the work to catch up with my map!!

The phrase involving a brewery is springing to mind. Rolling Eyes

Al
andyjdhurley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
I never understand why some people seem to update their maps so regularly - did they used to buy a paper atlas every year?

I still do buy a paper atlas at least once a year but not to get a more up to date map, the old one tends to be torn to shreds by then.

I do get annoyed that a new roundabout near me (full size, not a mini) is still not on map 720 having been there for over 5 years now. Needless to say I have put in on mapshare as soon as I got my TT one ( a couple of months ago) but it hasn't shown up there yet either. No big deal but it doesn't give me much faith in map updates.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the map makers can never be exactly up-to-date with their finished product but to have a five year old roundabout still missing is rather poor show. However, when I consider the amount of miles I drive the discrepancies I come across are few. And never, ever, have the discrepancies caused me to get lost or stopped me getting to my final destination.
And remember, the Tomtom is a navigation aid to be used with a degree of common sense and its accuracy requirement differs greatly from the software used on the flight deck of a large Airliner crossing Antarctica.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
And remember, the Tomtom is a navigation aid to be used with a degree of common sense and its accuracy requirement differs greatly from the software used on the flight deck of a large Airliner crossing Antarctica.

Agreed, the roads on the Tomtom need to be a lot more accurately mapped than the ones on the airliner. Smile
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience of TomTom maps in my area, they updated some minor residential estate side roads, but they have not updated the main road which has been re-built as a dual carriageway at least 3 years ago.

This is all despite emailing Tele_atlas using their website, and using the TomTom map corrections.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyjdhurley wrote:

I do get annoyed that a new roundabout near me (full size, not a mini) is still not on map 720 having been there for over 5 years now. Needless to say I have put in on mapshare as soon as I got my TT one ( a couple of months ago) but it hasn't shown up there yet either. No big deal but it doesn't give me much faith in map updates.

It never will....
MapShare in its present form cannot make any changes to the actual road layout at all, you are only REPORTING them for possible inclusion in LATER map versions (which they will kindly let you BUY!).

And it is only since the purchase of TeleAtlas that TT has begun to pass on the MapShre info from users to TA anyway.

technik wrote:
...but they have not updated the main road which has been re-built as a dual carriageway at least 3 years ago.

This is all despite emailing Tele_atlas using their website, and using the TomTom map corrections.

Same thing... this will require actual re-drawing of the map, something that MapShare cannot do.
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re : Map & speed errors Reply with quote

I too updated my map recently and was dissapointed to find new (2 years old) roads were still not included. Even more annoying though is the speed limits shown for certain roads. There are a huge number wrong, for example a road near me (Built 1974 ish) is and always has been a 70mph dual carriageway. TomTom though, shows it as a 30mph limit!

Can anyone advise as I assume TomTom calculates your expected journey time using known speed limits and some assumptions? With so many speed inaccuracies, my arrival time is never going to be accurate.

I don't expect miracles but it seems they are quick to get money out of you promising updates etc but you don't get what you expect. Mad
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are roads and roundabouts near me that have been here before I lived here, which is 4.5 years and they still do not show up on tomtom's newest map!!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Re : Map & speed errors Reply with quote

Playhard wrote:

Can anyone advise as I assume TomTom calculates your expected journey time using known speed limits and some assumptions? With so many speed inaccuracies, my arrival time is never going to be accurate.

I believe TomTom don't actually use the speed limit for calculating journey time (bear in mind that they don't know the speed limit at all for many roads). What they do use is an average time to travel along a particular stretch of road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: