Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Video Tutorial: Installing the PGPS Speed Cameras on TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Tutorial: Installing the PGPS Speed Cameras on TomTom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Video Tutorial: Installing the PGPS Speed Cameras on TomTom Reply with quote

For some time now we have been trying to find ways to explain how to install and configure SatNavs in an easy to understand manner suitable for users of all skill levels. The written guides have evolved over the years and are very good, but sometimes just seeing how it is done is much easier.

We have been trialing methods to present a video tutorial, and after many itterations we have arrived at our first effort for TomTom devices. Hopefully this will help by taking you through the installation in a step by step process explaining each step as we go.

Video tutorial: Installing the speed cameras on a TomTom
Video Tutorials #1
Installing Speed Cameras on a TomTom
Click here for a quicktime movie, or click here for a Windows Media video.

Last edited by MikeB on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Traditional written guide to install the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera database can be viewed by clicking here.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Video Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Have a fab new year....This is great stuff...many beginners have quite often posed this question and now they can see how easy it is to use pkgs database...

Maybe a clip or two on how to *update* the database, once you have already installed it, would have been still more useful. As I understand, it is the same method, although it does not mention the words update...and each time you download the update file, it gives you a new name, which might confuse some and lead them into thinking if they are downloading the udate or something new. Or maybe, the release date could be added at the end of the file to make things crystle clear.

But still this is a wonderful stuff and will benefit many a user.

best

RATOM
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be subscribing shortly and downloading the Speed Camera Database. I heartily endorse the views of RATOM about this video, what a good tutorial for aged beginners like me. Can't wait for the Voice download tutorial as I would much prefer a voice warning, rather than the beeps. Great Stuff.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved the posts discussing the Newsletter Video links here as they are OT for this thread.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mike,
I cannot install your database because my on-screen keyboard has qwertyuiop along the top, not abcde...
Can I have my money back?

Wink
TheOddjobMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Nice video! Concur about updating mention by Ratom. look forward to the next video. You might include something about any differences between x10, x20 and x30 etc.
bazzabm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Video on downloading Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I have recently subscribed and managed to download the new UK consolidated by type database and update my TomTom GO One Europe.
I am still not sure how to update the rest of Europe as there is only a Western_Europe directory that has the pocketgps_uk files in it but presumably I need the EUR-consolidated by type files as well to cover trips to the continent.

The new video is excellent, and I look forward to further ones showing how to update EUR files and POI's as well.

In the meantime where can I get help on these matters please?

Smile
covelord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Video on downloading Reply with quote

bazzabm wrote:
Hi Mike

. . . .
I am still not sure how to update the rest of Europe as there is only a Western_Europe directory that has the pocketgps_uk files in it but presumably I need the EUR-consolidated by type files as well to cover trips to the continent . . . .

Smile

I would appreciate info re: euro files

Thanks

covelord
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Video on downloading Reply with quote

bazzabm wrote:
I am still not sure how to update the rest of Europe as there is only a Western_Europe directory that has the pocketgps_uk files in it but presumably I need the EUR-consolidated by type files as well to cover trips to the continent.

The new video is excellent, and I look forward to further ones showing how to update EUR files and POI's as well.
To install the EUR Files the process is the same. The Files have different names so will not overwrite each other.

You can use EUR Consolidated or Speed Zoned. It makes no difference, as long as you don't exceed the maximum number of POI Categories (OV2 Files) that are allowed in the Folder.

POIs, that are not Camera related, are handled in the same way, but there is no need to set up the Warn When Near function.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JThrussell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: video tutorial Reply with quote

great video - only missing the vital first step to state you need to login to PocketGPSworld first ! (Although you do mention it much later on).
bazzabm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Video on downloading Reply with quote

Quote:
You can use EUR Consolidated or Speed Zoned. It makes no difference, as long as you don't exceed the maximum number of POI Categories (OV2 Files) that are allowed in the Folder.

POIs, that are not Camera related, are handled in the same way, but there is no need to set up the Warn When Near function.

Hi Oldboy

Thanks for your reply, but I am still confused. I used my Tom Tom in France last year and therefore expected to see either a separate directory for the EUR files, or to see the existing ones in the Western_Europe one.

Are you saying that I can copy the EUR files (and the POI's) into the Western_Europe directory? If so, where are the original EUR files located?

Lastly, when you say the maximum number of files allowed, is this determined by the size of the memory card? and if so, can I replace the card with a larger capacity card?,

Very Happy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Video on downloading Reply with quote

bazzabm wrote:
Are you saying that I can copy the EUR files (and the POI's) into the Western_Europe directory?
If you have Western Europe, then ALL the UK and EUR POI Files (cameras are only POI Files) go into that Folder.

bazzabm wrote:
If so, where are the original EUR files located?
They should be there also. I presume you are talking about PGPSW Files. If not I'm confused by your question.

bazzabm wrote:
Lastly, when you say the maximum number of files allowed, is this determined by the size of the memory card? and if so, can I replace the card with a larger capacity card?
This is the number of OV2 Files that the software will recognise. In V8 software it is some 200, and in V7 160. Earlier versions are a lot less.

Generally, card memory doesn't become a factor because POI Files are relatively small.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tutorial. I've been worried about doing anything upgrade wise to my TOM TOM since I had a major wipeout with my last one. Followed the instructions and it all went fine. Many thanks. Looking forward to more such items especially the voice prompts.

Could I ask for some clarification though please? In the video it prompts the user to disconnect/turn off the unit and then re-boot. Is it not the case that you should use the "safely remove hardware" process first? Not doing this is what I think caused my last collapse. A bit of advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Nascar98
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nascar98 wrote:
Is it not the case that you should use the "safely remove hardware" process first? Not doing this is what I think caused my last collapse.

good point! I've not watched the video yet, but if that essential step got missed off then it's a great pity, as I think not following the "safely remove hardware" procedure is one of the most common ways people get into difficulties.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: