Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Points of interest for Tomtom2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Points of interest for Tomtom2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: European Points of interest for Tomtom2 Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Ive found this good website which has quite a lot of useful poi`s for tomtom for a number of countries & thought id share with the forum folks..

http://www.tomtomoverlay.de/seiten/english/index1.htm

can anyone advise if these will work on TTNV2 .? as im no expert Smile , and dont want to load all these into a map folder, only to get there and they dont show :-)

Only the ov2 & bmp files are needed yes.? and not the asc.?

Cheers
Nick[/url]
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Thanks for the link. Yes you can use the POIs with TTNav2. You only need the .BMP and .OV2 files.

Dave and Darren, if you look at the GB section, a lot look familiar. All of my POIs that I submitted to Pocket GPS World are there. However, Pocket GPS World is the only site that I’ve ever submitted POIs to. Now I and I’m sure others gave their time for free and placed the POIs into the Public Domain, but the POIs should at least acknowledge the creators – if only to let them know of required updates etc. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

The files are .RAR (WINRAR 3.0 packed). I’d be very interested in seeing if my work has been changed. I don’t have WINRAR does anybody? If so could they download a few and report on the contents of the zipped (?) file? Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just looked at this site and all of my POI files are there too. Like Privateer, Pocket GPS World is the only website I have submitted my files to.

I downloaded a trial copy of WinRAR off the internet which unpacks these files and was able to view the .ov2, .bmp, .asc and .txt files of the main POI file. These are all as I created them and the text file even has my name and details listed under the creator, so this confirms that these are my files.

Privateer, I did the same for your POI's and none of the information in the .txt file has been changed.

Bo Peep. Angel
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really annoys me when other sites rip of other peoples work, at the very least they ought to acknowledge the source. I recently found parts of a review I had written including photographs on a Dutch site that sold PPC's and GPS. There was no reference to us or our site and when I emailed to complain the website owner wrote back ina high and mighty attitude saying that he could see no reason why I was complaining!

We have all gone to a lot of trouble and hard work to get this site to where it is today and a lot of thanks goes to our readers who contribute help in the forums and other applications, POI files and more. If anyone wants me to write to the owner of TomTomoverlay.de to complain about their posting of your POI's let me know as I'm just in the mood Evil or Very Mad
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, Darren! Thumbs Up

None of us want to be selfish with our POIs or we wouldn't have made them public on the Pocket GPS website in the first place, but you're right - if someone has gone to a lot of hard work to create a POI file, the site that takes it should ask permission first, or at the very least give some recognition of who the original creator/website was.

Bo Peep. Angel
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranging shot fired across his/her bows. I shall let you all know the outcome. I have asked that he acknowledges the author and the source or removes them forthwith. In future should he/she wish to host such files I have 'advised' that he/she should obtain the permission of the author beforehand.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
i seem to have open a can of worms Confused

I appreciate all of the works that forum & website owners and member offer on this site, and since i have received my pda and gps it has been an excellent reference tool, which i hope to use from now on.

I didnt know that this other site had pinched the good works of the creators as above (at least they could have acknowledged this forum as the source etc)

in a way im glad i did, but can you hold off any copyright e mails until i get them downloaded.? Thumbs Up or they might all disapear Smile

Cheers
Nick
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall email the website owners and credit you with the heads-up, wouldn't want your work to go unnoticed Clap Best download those POI's quick before he bans you Pistol Shoot Out
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo here comes the hate e mails to me.Laughing Out Loud

I think if he/she just acknowledged the source, i.e here, then all should be ok.

A good find for POI`s, but a shame they were from you guys here.

Hope all gets sorted, and i feel ashamed for being "The Grass" etc Laughing Out Loud but hey, i just thought users would like the content they had :D

Cheers
Nick
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I think I speak for everyone who has posted POIs on this site when I say that we are glad you happened to mention this other website! Wink

It's a shame that many people's hard work goes unrecognised when sites like this pinch files, but hopefully Darren's email will make them see the error of their ways! Out of here

Bo Peep. Angel
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Don’t worry about being the “grass” as you’re not! ;-) You took time to show us a new site, which had a lot of decent POIs for other countries. We are grateful for that as new resources are always welcomed. It’s just a shame that that website has turned out to be one that unashamedly lifted the decent POIs from PocketGPS World in the first place. I’m sure that it will all turn out for the best. Please don’t hesitate to let us know of any more that you find! ;-)

I hope that you manage to download your required POIs, but if they’re for the UK then you should be able to find them here!

I agree with Bo Peep, as we are all glad that you found it in the first place. It is nice to know that our POIs are doing the rounds.

Darren,

Many thanks for firing the shot across the bows. If you can come up with a decent phrase that I can put in the text file of the next POIs that am going to submit to PocketGPS World then I’ll paste it in the text file. 8-)

It’s all too easy on the web to steal somebody’s ideas after they’ve done all of the hard work!

[/rant] ;-)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I See they have added some text to their main page:

"The side for TomTom navigator OVI of places of interest or also POI (POINT OF INTRESTS)
the data is maintained and updated in another place.
Everyone that send me one or more changes to a POI gets a Mail, in which is communicated when the updated on-line is placed, so that it can download itself the changes."

pity they didnt mention where the other place was Smile

Cheers
Nick
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Couldn't you have just retaliated by stealing their pois? Twisted Evil

I would like to download some of their files but have no idea what to do with a .rar file.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
a rar file is just like a zip file, you will need winrar to unzip the rar files contents Thumbs Up as winzip unzips zip files.

Cheers
Nick
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Nick, but unfortunately I'm a hardened, dyed-in-the-wool Mac user.

The good news is that I downloaded one of their pois and it just opened up with Stuffit. I'm well pleased now that I can have a few more pois for the continent.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: