Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare Corrections Working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare Corrections Working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

930 got mapshare updates this morning, till now had been reporting maps as over 30 weeks out of date, today downloded 10700 updates.

Updated to 11067 on second connection.
ianfreeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get Mapshare to work. The updates download but can't be installed. TTCS say they will take the problem to the second level, but no word so far.

It started when I updated to the latest software. I have since reverted to the old one, but it hasn't helped.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:

We have forwarded to the appropriate parties your suggestion with regards to adding a service status marker to TomTom Home.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

What do you reckon on the likelihood?

We live in hope! Laughing
(To be honest, I think I'd prefer it on their main website, so when the Home servers are down, the whole world can see!
bigvernster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually got mapshare updates this morning after fifteen days of nothing. Download size was "tiny" but mapshare corrections sot up from 38899 to 66872.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me three goes, but I got 30000 ish last night. Surprised

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else seen these?

1. When I downloaded corrections just now, it simply flew - never been so fast before.

2. When it all started working again, my corrections shot up from 70+K to 99999 (GO920, W&CE v710). After another three downloads, it's still at 99999. Is this the glass ceiling? Did they never expect to have six figures of corrections?

3. The TT publicity says you receive corrections from 10 million users. You'd think there'd be more than 99,999 submissions by now.

4. Is it really true that corrections are map specific? - that corrections to one map won't be passed to another? In other words, corrections to WE v710 won't be passed to W&CE v710 or to GB v710, or France v710?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

1. When I downloaded corrections just now, it simply flew - never been so fast before.

Yes it is quick now. I've looked at the data that it downloads and it is similar to the data downloaded previously so that doesn't account for an increase in speed. The files are very small so they should download quickly. Perhaps tomtom have upgraded something at their end to make the system work at a sensible speed.

Sorry, can't answer the other points.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

4. Is it really true that corrections are map specific? - that corrections to one map won't be passed to another? In other words, corrections to WE v710 won't be passed to W&CE v710 or to GB v710, or France v710?

That is my understanding.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
. . . . when it all started working again, my corrections shot up from 70+K to 99999 (GO920, W&CE v710). After another three downloads, it's still at 99999. Is this the glass ceiling? Did they never expect to have six figures of corrections?

I also have the W&CE v710 map and mine has been stuck on 99999 for a few days now despite it still downloading and sucessfully installing tiny updates whenever I connect.

D'ya think it's still updating it and the counter is stuck or it's just mocking me Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the counter is stuck, OR they don't quite have 5,000 people (with fingers and toes) logging them OR 100000 in binary is something special. Confused

Maybe we shall find out soon - my 720 with WE v710 has this morning updated from 93473 to over 97,000. I'm expecting it to hit the ceiling soon at 99999!

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Here's what I was told....

TomTom Support 25/01/08 wrote:

Dear Mr P...,

We are actually not sure if you are able to transfer the Map Corrections you made for one map onto another map. We need to test this.

TomTom Support 28/01/08 wrote:
Concerning the map corrections being transferrable, this still needs to be tested. We will e-mail you again once it has been tested. Considering you are seeing less corrections for the Western and Central Europe map it would suggest that the files are dependent on map and version. This would then in turn mean you cannot transfer the corrections from one map to the other. We will confirm this to you once it has been tested.

TomTom Support 07/02/08 wrote:
Concerning the transfer of map corrections, this is not possiblt as the corrections are actually encrypted to the specific map on which the corrections are made.

As for the counter being stuck... mine droped back down to 60,000-odd after a few more times of connecting and downloading AND changing map.
For me, the counter stays on the same number even after you change map, until you do a new download for the new map, THEN it changes. If you haven't got another map to change to, I don't know how you can force it to recalculate.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This line:

installedPatches = Math.min(Math.round(installedPatches), 99999);

in the file

C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul\extensions\MapShare-status@tomtom.com\chrome\content\indicator.xml

will limit the display to 99999. I dont have a map that has 99999 installed patches so I can't test what happens if you add another 9 to the number.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give that man a coconut. You've sussed it out correctly.

I added an extra '9' to both lines and my map showed 107554. I checked for updates, downloaded another tiny mapshare file and it now shows 107613.

It would appear that they thought 99999 was a pretty safe number and no one would ever go past it?

So, it would appear to have been working OK, it was just a display problem.

What caught my eye was a line at the top of the file name you have to edit which says :-

"TomTom is hiring experienced mozilla developers! - contact us at xul-jobs@tomtom.com"

Thanks again Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:

What caught my eye was a line at the top of the file name you have to edit which says :-

"TomTom is hiring experienced mozilla developers! - contact us at xul-jobs@tomtom.com"

Thanks again Laughing

Ha! What a brilliant bit of sideways advertising. You're only going to need to go into that file because it was badly coded so they are really admitting they need help! Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
Give that man a coconut. You've sussed it out correctly.

pcaouolte wrote:
Blah...

Well done fellas. PLEASE don't go getting a job with TomTom - we need you here. OK, they need you there, but they've managed this long without brains, won't hurt them to keep at it for a while longer!

I suppose I could go get a job there - I know zilch about anything!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: