Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V715 maps available!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V715 maps available!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agolder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been trying to update my TT920 to map 7.15 using the latest map guarantee, but it said my map (v7.10) was up to date!!!! Tom Tom support were not very supportive and just sent me baisc insructions on how to select the 'latest map guarantee' option from within Home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noticed the Home update from v2.2.0.33 to v2.2.1.58 (thanks Neural), and the latest map guarantee now works, so I'm now using the new v7.15 map.

The only issue I've found is that the vast majority of map share updates (including some local ones which had been TomTom verifiied) have been lost. I don't think it's because they're included in the new maps as they're temporary changes like roads blocked due to long-term roadworks now showing as open. Looks like everyone's gonna be resubmitting their map shares again....
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agolder wrote:

Noticed the Home update from v2.2.0.33 to v2.2.1.58 (thanks Neural), and the latest map guarantee now works, so I'm now using the new v7.15 map.

Yes, the LMG might work better with v2.2.1.58 but the MapShare subscription for POIs have stopped working. I would therefore like to go back to v2.2.0.33 if I knew where to find it.

agolder wrote:

The only issue I've found is that the vast majority of map share updates (including some local ones which had been TomTom verifiied) have been lost. I don't think it's because they're included in the new maps as they're temporary changes like roads blocked due to long-term roadworks now showing as open. Looks like everyone's gonna be resubmitting their map shares again....

That's the same discovery I've made. A number of MapShare corrections submitted for the v710 map and were verified by TomTom are missing in v715. This is a major flaw in the MapShare concept. Forcing the users to resubmit all errors again for every new map update is far from encouraging. To me this is an indication that our MapShare updates have not been escalated to Tele Atlas but stayed with TomTom, who have no clue what changes Tele Atlas are including in the next Multinet delivery. Let's hope this works better once (when?) TomTom have acquired Tele Atlas.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have finally been able to download the new map using the Latest Map Guarantee!!!!! Via TT Home version 2.2.1.58 the first time after 3 hrs it just hung, the second time I attempted it I set it going at 9pm and at midnight it still was saying an hour to go, which it had been saying for the previous 2 hrs!! Anyway I got fed up and went to bed. I got up this morning and it had downloaded the latest map (7.15) so in total it took a long time, and I have an 8MB connection.

What I have noticed though is that it has lost my Home position, and all my PGPSW Speedcams are no longer set to warn when near? Is this normal?

All replies welcome,

SDM197.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:

...it has lost my Home position, and all my PGPSW Speedcams are no longer set to warn when near? Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal (in fact it's only recently it has been clever enough to transfer any of your POI files across at all!

To get your favourites and camera settings back just copy the old MapSettings.cfg file into the new map folder, overwriting the new one that is there.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to digress a bit, but you have been talking about Mapshare corrections.

Can somebody please explain (and justify) to me why you are submitting closures of roads for temporary roadworks? One of the processes is to state whether this is a permanent change for cars and it is NOT permanent. I don't accept the argument that it is long term.

Surely this is the way in which TomTom managed to close the A40? It seems obvious that their verification process is not as robust as ours, so even if they take up a temporary closure, how quickly will they then remove it? I've got TT cameras on one of my devices for roadworks (M4 Motorway, not some obscure back street which nobody ever visits) which were finished over a year ago.

Personally, I think this type of closure should either NOT be recorded, or should NOT be shared. By all means, put it into your own map, but never let it get uploaded for others.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, as I see it, it's a MapShare implementation problem, and one which I raised with TomTom some time ago. I don't know if others do the same but I have set MapShare to 'always share my updates' or whatever the parlance is.

Now, call me simple (many do) but I'd have expected this setting to be used if I marked the change as permanent. If I answered 'No' to the change being permanent, I'd have expected a sub-menu to kick in, saying "Are you sure you want to share this change?", to which I could then answer 'No'. Unfortunately this doesn't happen, so even temporary changes are automatically submitted. The only way around this currently is to set to "Ask me if I want to share".
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely and completely spot on, Tim.

Hence, I have mine set to share my updates, but only receive corrections from myself and verified by TomTom. Trouble is, they don't seem very good at verifying, do they? If everybody submits roadworks temporary closures, TT will be getting more than one submission for some roadworks and no doubt will be tempted to put them out as confirmed. Personally, I'll never submit temporary (albeit long term) closures, quite simply because they are temporary, not permanent.

If you set "Ask me if I want to share", does it query to share each individual correction at the time you make it, or each one of all corrections when you connect to Home for uploading?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

If you set "Ask me if I want to share", does it query to share each individual correction at the time you make it, or each one of all corrections when you connect to Home for uploading?

It queries each and every change at the point of change, hence my reluctance to use it.
snarf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re question "Can you check these coordinates on the new map?
N 53.49326, W 2.95075 (Switch Island near Aintree)."

[/img]
snarf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
. . . could you please check some locations for me where roundabouts are missing in the 710 map? Are they still missing in the 715 map? The coordinates are:

N57.72712 , E11.96936
N57.72736 , E11.97100
N57.73142 , E11.97537
N57.75355 , E11.94779
N57.75788 , E11.98692

If roundabouts have been added, that could be an indication that "non visible" MapShare updates actually make it into the next map release.

Thanks, Ulf

I think this far east puts you in Sweden
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarf wrote:

I don't suppose you checked Ulf's location setting, did you?
snarf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
snarf wrote:

I don't suppose you checked Ulf's location setting, did you?
Embarassed No obviously not - sorry. I was under the misapprehension that the 715 version was just UK/NI
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarf wrote:

Yepp, you're right about that! I have checked these locations on the v715 WE map myself now and could see that none of the roundabouts had been added.

One wondering I have is whether TomTom in the v715 map has made any changes at all of the road layouts based on MapShare submissions or not. Changing map properties like road name and restrictions is one thing, but adding roundabouts requires a more detailed measurement at the location. This is what Tele Atlas uses their map vans for. Do TomTom have this type of equipment too? If not, it seems pointless to report map errors concerning road layout changes via MapShare, since the information is currently not escalated to Tele Atlas.
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarf wrote:
Re question "Can you check these coordinates on the new map?
N 53.49326, W 2.95075 (Switch Island near Aintree)."

[/img]

It has already been establieshed that Switch Island has NOT been updated.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="uffe73"]
snarf wrote:

One wondering I have is whether TomTom in the v715 map has made any changes at all of the road layouts based on MapShare submissions or not. Changing map properties like road name and restrictions is one thing, but adding roundabouts requires a more detailed measurement at the location. This is what Tele Atlas uses their map vans for. Do TomTom have this type of equipment too? If not, it seems pointless to report map errors concerning road layout changes via MapShare, since the information is currently not escalated to Tele Atlas.

Well I would like to add one minor or major point to this. Even if TomTom escalated all MapShare changes made in 7.10 back to TeleAtlas and TeleAtlas corrected everything the latest map update we got (7.15) is to early to see those changes in real life. YOu must take into notice the timeframe between map release is done by TeleAtlas and map being pushed to users by TomTom.

I guess most folks dont understand how long it takes for a map release
to appear on our devices.

Consider the latest map. The 7.15 map published 5 Feb 2008 is actually based on TeleAtlas 2007.10 material, which means that the map is a snapshot of TeleAtlas data from September/October 2007. Now think
when MapShare really showed on market. The first devices showed up
around summertime, but considering initial problems, firmware updates
the realistic time before MapShare things was figured out is around September/October if not later.

So on 5th of Februrary 2008 we received the map that was published by TeleAtlas even before MapShare was really working on TomTom devices.

So considering just the dates it is almost impossible to have any MapShare updates being applied to the 7.15 map, unless TeleAtlas staff can travel in time Smile

So considering the TT escalated all changes to TeleAtlas and they applied them I think the earliest release we - as TomTOm users - might see those changes beeing applied to TA maps is their 2008.1 release (that will be published by TT in 3 months, or 2008.4 that should show up as TT map
in 6 months).

We got this map today, but this map is really 6 months old. And TomTom does not change the maps, they just repackage thing into appropriate format to use in our devices.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: