Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What TMC unit have you got pandamedic? The final fix charger for the GTM 12 ends 6025 - and they (in US) aren't working on a new fix.
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
What TMC unit have you got pandamedic? The final fix charger for the GTM 12 ends 6025 - and they (in US) aren't working on a new fix.

I've got the GTM 12 for my 310D....
the 6025 lead was the lead that came with my unit when i brought it several months ago...

The number on the new cable is: 022455 and comes with a suppressor on it

this was there email

I will send out a 12v cable with a fitted suppressor for you.

Please fit and take a drive around to see if you get any better reception.
The R&D guys in the US are working on a more permanent solution.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe

Edward Webber
Product Support AssociateGarmin (Europe) Ltd

and this there email after i asked what was planned.
We are still looking for a good supplier of the new power leads.

The best thing to do is to give us a call in the new year when we should have sourced the new power leads.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe

Edward Webber
Product Support AssociateGarmin (Europe) Ltd
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Garmin would make their mind up - they keep telling people different things!!
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the above message Swing - do you know what the charger 022455 is? and the comment about bringing out another charger from the US in the New Year. (I saw on another forum 022455 was an old one).

Does it have a red/green LED or just a red one Pandamedic and does it have another code on it?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandamedic wrote:
the 6025 lead was the lead that came with my unit when i brought it several months ago...

The number on the new cable is: 022455 and comes with a suppressor on it
Can you confirm the two part numbers on the black label - one will be in the form of P/N: 320-00239-21 and the other is 10R-02 6025. Equally if you can confirm what colour the LED light on the charger is when turned off it would be useful (as mwfox says).

I have to say both the original 6017 and the newer 6025 that I've seen have all had suppressors on them.

I have to say I think you've been given old information on the subject, but I will check.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest I've just been told by Garmin after complaining the 6025 wasn't that much better :

Quote "I'm sorry but the GTM12 will only work on Some of the Major Roads and Cities within the UK due to the weak FM Signal!

WTF!

£140 for Patch Traffic is a complete Rip-off.

Mabsey
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it may not have been well worded, I can understand Garmin saying that. Certainly the signals are stronger near large cities, which often means the more countrified roads have weaker signals, and hence the bit about main roads - certainly hilly country roads will naturally have a lower signal level (partly being further from the transmitters and partly due to the hills!) and hence it will work less places.

I think Garmin's biggest problem is twofold:

1. It works in every other country
2. They never mentioned any of this until after the units were on sale (*)

(*) I appreciate Garmin do say something like "where traffic coverage is available", and I can understand their Marketing isn't going to say "Although don't bother buying it in the UK as the signal is so poor, it'll hardly work".

What would be nice is some changes to the software coding within the Garmin - maybe holding onto the traffic data for longer when reception is lost (or becomes patchy) so that the unit doesn't think the traffic has cleared up everywhere magically.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you live in a poor reception area I do - (Blackpool isn't to clever for any of the TMC units to be honest). Prompted by the thread on the -21 receiver I have today tried a couple of external aerials hooked up to my GTM-12 receiver.

First off the unit was tried without an external feed i.e. as supplied when I checked the signal strength it was only 3 for the local station (channel 179 works best around here).

I then stripped about 3MM of insulation from the end of the Garmin "shoe string" aerial and soldered this to a 3,5MM mono jack socket.

This socket was first connected to the Maplins mag mount I have (part number QT30H ) the signal level increased to a 6 and TMC data started to flow, disconnection of the external feed caused the receiver to resume scanning and not receiving any data. This aerial is not ideal as it is designed for use at frequencies above 100MHz, but it does improve the situation.

Next was to connect it to the Hirschman GPS 9 18 V Flex, ok the write up I did was for use with Classic FM and iTIS TMC data, but it works in the same frequency band as the TrafficMaster transmisions. I coupled the GTM-12 to the FM part of the aerial, the signal strength increased to a 9 again TMC data started to be received, disconnection and the reception stopped with the signal strength dropping back to a 2 or 3 - no data.

Hardly the ideal situation having to use an external aerial, but it does make a considerable difference in poor signal strength areas, through out this short test the car was not moved - engine was running to provide the electrical noise you would normally encounter when driving.

At weekend I will try and bury the Garmin cable under the dash, still connected to the Hirschman and see what happens, if this works I will be happy as it will reduce the number of cables across the dashboard - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I then stripped about 3MM of insulation from the end of the Garmin "shoe string" aerial and soldered this to a 3,5MM mono jack socket.

This socket was first connected to the Maplins mag mount I have (part number QT30H ) the signal level increased to a 6 and TMC data started to flow, disconnection of the external feed caused the receiver to resume scanning and not receiving any data. This aerial is not ideal as it is designed for use at frequencies above 100MHz, but it does improve the situation.
A couple of questions if I may.

Given you soldered a 3.5mm mono jack (be interested to know which way round to wire this (or doesn't it matter?)), and the Maplins mag mounts all seem to have a BNC connector - how did you connect them together?

I see what you mean about the frequency range - my local Trafficmaster station, for example, is around 97MHz, just outside it's ideal range. Something like the N29AC might be a better option, although a fiver more, but on the other hand, your choice has a proper base...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing, the reason I typed 3,5MM is because I have one in front of me, the one in the car (on the aerial) is actually 2,5MM Embarassed it is a mono plug that I fitted to the aerial as this connects to a different TMC receiver.
Centre core of the coax goes to the centre pin of jack plug, screen of the coax goes to the outer connection of the plug.

I modified the aerial when I got it, I don't like using addapters as they add losses to the signal path, given a true install I would solder the joint, but I need the flexibility the jack plug offers, at the same time I changed the plug I also shortened the supplied coax lead at 10M its a tad too long.

With the plug fitted and in use I decided the easy option was to fit a 2,5MM socket to the end of the Garmin "Shoe String" thus I can easily disconnect the device, and still use it with the other receiver when required.

Any decent quality car aerial should work as they are desinged for opperation using the FM frequency band, the one you link to will work, but I am not too sure about a mount for the vehicle, I use the Hirschman feed in my own car, and the Maplins aerial for use in hire cars, at £15 for the mag mount aerial its worth a try, BUT please bear in mind cutting the plastic tab off the end of the Garmin shoe string aerial and soldering a conector to the end will invalidate the waranty - Mike
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

If you had a Y cable from the back of your car radio could you connect the GTM 12/21 wire aerial to the centre pin? Do you think this would work?

You then wouldn't have to buy a separate aeriel.

Thanks

Josh
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
If you had a Y cable from the back of your car radio could you connect the GTM 12/21 wire aerial to the centre pin? Do you think this would work?
It might improve the situation, but I don't like splitters, addaptors etc as they reduce the already weak signal level available to the device, a dedicated aerial is my prefered solution.
I think the best reception would be achieved with the GTM-10 device which is designed for external aerial connection, the downside is you cannot transplant the system between cars easily. Mike
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the shoe string GTM 12 aerial wire - just got a single wire ie no outer covering wire?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single wire, multi-stranded copper, there is no screen to connect - without breaking open the actual module, which I have not tried as it looks very well sealed up - Mike
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable that came with my nuvi in the box back in april time is this one

P/N: 320-00239-21 .............10R-02 6025
The LED is RED when off, and RED when on. Never seen it go green even when the battery is full. Pic below

The new cable Garmin sent me a couple of weeks ago is this one. with an extra thing on the cable is

P/N: 320-00239-21 .............022455
The LED is RED when off, and RED when on. Never seen it go green even when the battery is full. Pic below

All i know is that the 6025 is crap with my traffic and is hit and miss. didn't get traffic once from heathrow to birmingham.

The 022455 cable gives me traffic from the time it's switched everytime and i get pages of it updated all the time, except for when i'm around the stafford area for some reason....i contacted trafficmaster and they said this in an email

Unfortunately we here at Trafficmaster only supply Garmin with the Traffic Information for them to be able to supply the service. We do not take part in any upkeep of technical issues or subscriptions. For this reason I must direct you back to Garmin Customer Services on 01794 519 944 who will be happy to help.

Either way i'm happy now with the replacement cable and my traffic. I hope the pictures help you regarding which cable is which[/img]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 37 of 44

Jump to: