Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating Ipaq System and TTN3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Ipaq System and TTN3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Updating Ipaq System and TTN3 Reply with quote

Hi

I have had my system for about a year now and have been very happy with it, I have not really had any serious problems as such, just some teething troubles at the start and a slight challenge when I first attempted a TTN3 upgrade and found that of all PDA's out there mine was the model which had problems with this change (Typical huh?)

Anyway to the point of my question - I feel that, for various reasons, I need to now do a hard reset of my system and re install everything, so whilst I am at it I feel I should also update the ROM on my Ipaq 2210 and update TTN3 to whatever is the latest version - what I would like to know, if some kind person can help me out here, is how to go about all this?

1) How do you do a hard re set? & and does this restore the unit to it's "out of the box condition"

2) I presume I should then apply the Rom update, or should I just do this and a hard reset takes place by default?

3) Once I have re installed TTN3 (I presume I should have no trouble re activating this should I?) should I then apply the update 3.07? and should I then apply the file gpsupg 3.03? - will this all be OK with my Ipaq 2210 or will I suffer the problem will intermittent bluetooth connection I did before when I tried? (hence my leaving well alone for a year!).

4) I understand from reading these pages that there have been some challenges with the TT bluetooth drivers - which ones should I use and how do I do this?

5) any other thoughts and suggestions gratefully recieved!! :-)

I know I should really know all this, but to be honest am a little unsure of myself, and when there is such a tremendously useful resource as these forums it would be silly not to make use of it. Besides there may very well be other users out there who could use the same "idiots guide to updating your PDA" - knowledge shared is never wasted and all that

Many Thanks in anticipation

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still using Navigator 3.00, there's lots of good reasons to upgrade - not least that TomTom made major changes to the address lookup in 3.03 and onwards.

So far as the ROM upgrade goes, if you elect to carry out the ROM upgrade, the upgrade procedure will walk you through a hard reset, which is mandatory. I choose to hard reset before starting a ROM upgrade, though - it's cleaner.

If the iPAQ h2210 is similar to other iPAQs, you hard reset by holding down the calendar and iTask buttons, then pressing and holding the reset button with your stylus. If you've got it right, the screen will come on (if it wasn't on already), then fade out. Release all the buttons, wake five seconds, then poke the reset button again. The iPAQ will come back on in a 'factory fresh' condition, except that the iPAQ File Store is not wiped.

It's important to point out that you're using the combination that many have found unreliable - iPAQ h2210, TomTom Navigator 3, maps on an SD card and Bluetooth GPS. Darren's conclusion is that if you change any one of those things, the setup is reliable - but you may struggle if you change anything.

There's an argument to try Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07 without changing anything else, so long as you have the versions you have installed now backed up somewhere (if it's really Navigator 3.00, I presume they're on your CD). The ROM update may cause your system to exhibit the problems that others find, and ROM updates vary between awkward and impossible to reverse.

Once the TomTom Navigator 5 program is available, that may be the point to update everything to the latest versions.

David
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK............

Thanks for your answer David, it is much appreciated - not at all sure I should go ahead now, as my navigator system works fine and does what it should, I have the (now unavailable) postcode lookup programme from Niels (sp?) and don't really use address lookup hardly at all.

As I said my system all works fine, even though others have had problems I havn't, even when I recently changed SD cards - all went well

I just don't feel entirely comfortable that my system has not been updated (drilled into us that AV and Windows software should always be updated I suppose).

The reason I need to hard reset is that I have recently bought a Wireless Lan CF Card and when I installed the software, it has somehow corrupted one of it's files and I cannot uninstall as one of the files seems to have added itself to the ROM - I have tried reinstalling but to no avail, so I thought a clean re start may be the best move and get all working again - I figured if that is what I am going to do then this would be as good a time as any to do the upgrades too.

Any thoughts?

Oh and btw which are the calendar and itask buttons - I have configured the bottom left button to bring up the postcode software and the bottom right button to bring up Checkpoint (and therefore TTN) - so this may be a tad tricky

Thanks once again for your answer

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - I have now re-read your reply and see what you mean (I shouldn't jump in a write without considering first I suppose) Embarassed

I see you suggest I go ahead and hard reset, but then only apply the TomTom upgrades and not the ROM upgrade - that seems a smart move as if things go wrong I can always go back to my original TTN3.00 (you are correct - that is what is on my install CD)

I think - if I read you carrectly that this would be the way to go

Do I recall reading in these forums that there is some problem with the TT upgrade as far as the bluetooth driver is concerned??

Thanks again (I really am grateful for your help - honest!)

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed what I was suggesting - hard reset (the two hardware buttons you need are the outermost pair), install the latest versions of Navigator and GPS (3.07 in both cases), but leave the ROM update for now on the basis that that lets you go back to precisely where you are now. ROM updates are pretty much impossible to reverse, and may be better left until Navigator 5 is available.

Later 3.x versions of TomTom GPS usually cause less Bluetooth problems than earlier 3.x versions, not the other way round.

You can install the TomTom Navigator 3.07 package directly from the TomTom web site, which includes both Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07. You will be asked to activate manually if you do this - the necessary activation code can be obtained if you put your Navigator 3 Product Code into the My Products area of the TomTom web site (which is a good idea anyway).

Make sure you have copies of any files you want to keep that are now unavailable.

To date there have been no security fixes for Pocket PC other than updates to both Microsoft Reader (to bring the DRM to the latest level) and MSN Messenger (to bring the protocol to the required latest version). There have also only been "proof of concept" viruses to date - unless I've missed something.

David
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent David - that's what I'll do then this weekend - will come back to this thread and let you know how I got on.

Many thanks for you help once again

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David (or anyone for that matter) :-)

I tried yesterday evening to remove the offending file which is stopping me removing the wireless lan application so that I can re install it - the file (as best I can remember) is called wlanloc (or something like that).

Anyway it says that this file is either in use or in ROM (I doubt the latter) and suggests I close it down from the Memory/running programs section in settings, but it isn't there! (!)

So my next thought is to take it out of the registry as I am well used to using this in Windows, but I cannot find out how to do this on my Ipaq - surely it is possible to edit the registry?

Can someone help me with this one at all?

Cheers

Steve
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this.. http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:gqg-Bs0i_O0J:www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/+phm+regedit&hl=en
dave
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

You are a gentleman and a scholar! - 10/10 a Gold Star and a Red Biro Tick - go to the top of the class!!

Just what I need - thanks very much for the help

will download and play with this tonight

Cheers

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm - downloaded this software but cannot get it to install to the Ipaq (shame it looked useful) - however, have gone ahead and hard reset my PPC and restored everything and all is well again (now have the latest TTN3 version and GPS as recommended) and it all works.

However - I now have a new "Challenge" - one of the rubber sides to my PPC is starting to peel off - I am sure I have seen some comments about this on these forums before, but cannot remember the suggestion/outcome and cannot find anything when searching

Anyone got any ideas? or is it a superglue job?

Cheers

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there really is no alternative to a hard reset for clearing up nasty problems.

There must be something about hard resets today. I was forced into one earlier. Using Pocket IE, I ran out of RAM, and when I soft reset, the PIM mirroring in my hx4700 decided to go crazy. The resulting mess was so awful that a hard reset was forced - I'm restoring using Sprite Backup as I write this.

The h2210 side grips - you may be able to get a new set out of HP under warranty, as it's a known problem. An alternative if you can't be bothered to fight HP is to buy them from here.

A final alternative are the metal alternatives that Pocket PC Techs make - I can't remember where you can get those in the UK.

David
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that David - My Ipaq is just about a year old now, so maybe they would not honour the warranty if it has run out (or is it a 2 year warranty? Must check tomorrow) - Thanks for the other options however.

I too restored with Sprite - I saw it recommended here and bought the premium edition and have not regretted it one bit - can thoroughly recommend it.

David - I note from your list of hardware and software a product called GPS assist - not come accross this one and can find nothing out about it other than a review on this site, but that was a couple of years ago - is there a current version or a site to check it out anywhere that you know of?

Thanks and best wishes

Steve
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSAssist is available from this site, it is free to use for 40 uses then needs registering for a few £ 's to get the activation key. It is basically a more advanced version of CheckPOInt v2.0.2.0 which is free.
It might be worth waiting a while before spending money as the new release/upgrade of TomTom V5 may not support the use of 3rd party Add-ons.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info for David W (and anyone else reading)

The aircraft grade aluminium side covers for the Ipaq 2210 are available in the Uk from Expansys see http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=111341 they are £24.95 and available in 4 colours plus Chrome (Chrome is £8 more) - these covers will not come off accidentally as they are fixed in with screws (supplied).

Rather like the look of the blue ones myself - just have to persuade the "financial controller" now.... :-)

Cheers

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm - OK here I am back with this one again - I finally got to use the system "in anger" for the first time last night since doing the previously mentioned upgrades to 3.07.

All seemed to be going well until about 5 minutes into the journey - navigation stopped and the bluetooth manager screen came on screen (blue light on Fortuna stopped flashing) I clicked with my finger on the clip-on icon and everything started again -"Ah, a glitch thinks I" Not so! it seemed that every 5 minutes or so - sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less - it would do the same thing. The most annoying part was when I was just a few streets from my destination and the darned thing did it again and this time would not come back without a re boot Grrr.

Ok I got there, but this is not what was going on before, where it all worked with no problems at all - so unless someone has some wonderful piece of magic to suggest I think it looks like a hard reset and reloading everything back to TT 3.0 as it was.

Would this be the problem David was alluding to previously about the 2210/Bluetooth and maps on an SD card?

Any help gatefully received (as usual)

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: