Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems using & when naming POI types
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems using & when naming POI types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Problems using & when naming POI types Reply with quote

It may be a coincidence but I was having a lot of problems relating to POIs and they all went away when I removed the "&" character from the name of a POI file called "Family & Friends.ov2"

The problems I was having were:

1. A "fatal application error" (no. oxc0000005 at address 000adf5c) when running TTN2.02.

2. The POIs in some categories disappeared in the sense that (a) none were displayed on the map even when selected under Properties and (b) none were listed when those Types were selected in the "Find..." screen.

3. When selecting the "Add as point of interest" option for a Recent Location only about half of my POI Types were listed. There was therefore no way to allocate the new POI to one of the missing POI Types.

4. In the list of POI Types displayed in the Find... screen some of the Type names were replaced with hieroglyphics.

5. In the same list some Type names were duplicated.

6. TTN2 created a spurious file called "Friends____Family.ov2" in the map folder along with "Friends___Family.bmp" containing the default POI icon.

Does anyone know what restrictions there are concerning the names of POI Types?

Has anyone experienced any of the above problems? Is there perhaps some other explanation?

I have wondered whether the problems might have been caused by me inserting too many POIs, but since I have replaced "Friends & Family.ov2" by "FamilyAndFriends.ov2" I have added quite a lot more POIs with no recurrence of the problems (fingers crossed!)

Does anyone know what limits there are on the number of POI files, or the file sizes, or the number of POIs?

Hugh
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Problems using & when naming POI types Reply with quote

This has been touched on before, mainly that TomTom Navigator didn't like spaces in the file name. I can quite easily see why an ampersand would have problmes, as it's part of the extended character set, and from a filename perspective I don't think you can use an ampersand, so this is probably more of a problem with TomTom allowing you to do this.

Does the Pocket PC allow you to have a file stored something & something.ov2 ?
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Quote: "Does the Pocket PC allow you to have a file stored something & something.ov2 ?"

Yes, it seems to. During the time I was experiencing the problems described above I had Friends & Family.ov2 in the Maps directory. It showed up normally in File Explorer. The accompanying bitmap file Friends & Family.bmp didn't seem to cause any problems. I've just recreated a file with this name and the Ipaq Image Viewer has no problems with it.

As an experiment I have just created a new note and typed "Something & something" on the first line. The Pocket PC gave it the filename "Something" (dropping everything from the & onwards.) However, when I used File Explorer to rename it "Something & something" it still seemed to work OK.

So far as Desktop versions of Windows are concerned, I think ampersands have been allowed in Windows file names since long file names were introduced in Windows 95. A quick Google search seems to confirm this.

However, I shall avoid & in ov2 files from now on.

So far as I can tell, spaces in ov2 file names have not been causing problems in TTN 2.02

Thanks again for your help.

Hugh

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: