Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Flawed congestion charge ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Flawed congestion charge ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Flawed congestion charge ??? Reply with quote

I tried to plan a route through London on Saturday to be told by Navigator that I would be going through the "congestion charge" zone. 'This is cool' I thought, only to realise that there is no congestion charge on a Saturday. (DOH!) On further experimentation I found out that if you plan a route through the congestion charge zone, navigator will always warn you, even on weekends and before 7.00 AM and after 6.30 PM weekdays when it also does not come into effect!!!

Lets hope that in a future update TomTom will write into the software warnings that come on only when needed! I'm no programmer, but could'nt navigator read the handhelds internal clock for the time, and base it's congestion charge assumptions on that?

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill"
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Flawed congestion charge ??? Reply with quote

The charge zone feature is great but like everything I think TTN2 still expects some input (and sense) from the user (my ipaq can't turn my cars wheel yet so I have to do this). Suppose you plan to be through the zone by 7am (and therefore don't get a warning) then because of a holdup you get stuffed for a £5 charge because you were in the zone during the charge period you would be pretty pi**ed at TTN, better to warn you that you were in the zone (it doesn't say you will get charged so technically it is correct).

Sorry to sound bitter but there are enough problems with TTN2 without introducing items such as this - this should be a wish list item not a flaw (IMO).

oisky
Regular Visitor

I feel the need to nit-pick.

Don't quite agree with everything you wrote in your reply... Hmmm, let me see...

I see what you're saying regarding the "Suppose you plan to be through the zone by 7am (and therefore don't get a warning) then because of a holdup you get stuffed for a £5 charge because you were in the zone" I agree with you there BUT this still wouldn't effect you on the weekends (when the charge doesn't come into effect!)

Also you said "better to warn you that you were in the zone (it doesn't say you will get charged so technically it is correct)." Firstly It's only technically correct on weekdays before 6.30 PM and 100% incorrect at weekends and secondly I don't think it is "better to warn you that you were in the zone" - I'd rather it didn't warn me at all if the charge isn't relevant (again at weekends and after 6.30 PM)

And quite frankly the comment about your iPAQ driving the car. Apart from being completely irrelevant to the argument was (I guess) written just after you'd jumped out of the wrong side of the bed ? (hee hee)

Remember, I wasn't having a go at TomTom, (I think that, for the most part, Navigator is great) - merely suggesting (and guessing) that, with a little more thought, the congestion charging feature could have been better implemented. It's small things like this that turn a great product into a brilliant product!

Honestly dude, you should chill out next time you read the forums - It's not like it's life and death.

If it's any consolation - I completely agree with you that this post should have gone in the wish list forum, this was my mistake! (There you go - you won in the end!)
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Yeah have to agree dude ( ) that I was being a little nit picking myself but one further problem I noticed today was the time I see on the gps screen is gmt not bst - ie an hour out.

Forgetting the charge zone completely - is this correct or should the gps driver recognise where we are and quote the local time - I'm not bothered just interested.

Re the charge zone - I now always take the the train - gives me ample excuse to be late!

& finally wasn't the Ronaldo hatrick tonight fantastic -hope (and trust) your not a Southern Man U Fan).

Ian

ps I also think that on reflection (& on an ipaq 3850) TTN2 is the best available.
oisky
Regular Visitor

Never noticed the gps time discrepancy you're talking about, but I would have presumed that it SHOULD show BST?

No, I'm not a Man U fan, I actually don't really follow soccer too much, I prefer American Football (you can stop laughing now)!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: