Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - From ’quickest’ to ’shortest’?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

From ’quickest’ to ’shortest’?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: From ’quickest’ to ’shortest’? Reply with quote

How do you guys, 'mid drive' change from quickest to shortest? (or 'shortest' to 'quickest')

I like to do this on quite a lot of journeys, but there's just no easy way to do it that I can find?! I have to stop the car, select the 'map' screen. Re-plot my route from where ever I currently am to the place that I originally wanted to go to. Then select 'shortest' (or 'quickest' - obviously the opposite to what the original route plan was) then go back to the navigator screen and start my journey again. If there is an easier way please tell me

Also, how (if like me you start navigator up in 'navigator' mode) do you know when you press 'navigate to...' what mode it will plan in (ie quickest or shortest) does it default to the one that is in the 'map/AtoB/type' screen, and what if I want it to start navigating in the other mode - how do I do this?

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill"
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: From ’quickest’ to ’shortest’? Reply with quote

I really wish someone would reply to this !?! This is about the only thing in Navigator 2 that I don't like!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Oisky, I think why nobody has replied so far is that they probably don't do what you're trying to do.

Why do you like to do this mid journey ? Surely this will adversley affect the original route that was planned because it will then try to route you down different roads than originally planned.

The Navigate To screen will use your default settings. There is no way of planning a route in this screen using a different setting.
Mark G
Occasional Visitor

I have my road speeds set so that I always get a route somewhere between the shortest and the quickest. Just close the gap between each of the road speeds. If you like motorways then keep the speed set high for this type of road. This wont help you change mid stream but you may find you don't have to.

It would however be nice if TTN(2) ran two or more routes (eg Shortest, Senic, Quickest, Rush hour)and gave the option via a button screen
RobMob
Regular Visitor

I do most of my routes from navigator screen - how can I set the system up to default to Shortest - it seems to default to Quickest at the moment even when I have set the last route via the from/to screen to Shortest? I have been through all the properties options but can't see a setting change available.

RobMob
Mark G
Occasional Visitor

If you set all the speeds in the (map page, file)properties section to the same speed you will always get the shortest route, as TTN will think its the quickest. Downside is you wont ever get the quickest route. It easy enough to return to the default settings if you find it does suit your driving.
oisky
Regular Visitor

Dave, you said "Surely this will adversley affect the original route that was planned because it will then try to route you down different roads than originally planned" but sometimes I want to change mid drive exactly because I don't like the route that it is taking me on! And also, driving in london, I sometimes find that Navigators shortest route is actually the quickest!! I also like to flick between both settings depending on where it's taking me! Also you say that "The Navigate To screen will use your default settings." - what do you mean by my default settings? I can't see a default for quickest or shortest?

PS wouldn't it be good if somewhere on the navigator page (maybe in one of the corners) there was a small Q or S to depict that you are on quickest or shortest mode? - just a thought

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: