Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - problems to activate SmartST
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

problems to activate SmartST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bledina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: problems to activate SmartST Reply with quote

Hello,

I just got a 3450 jacket and i installed the software on the computer. But when it comes to the activation, it says i am not connected to the internet, which is not true. I tried with firewall, anti-virus disabled (I actually tried with almost all resident programs off), with my cable internet, with a dial up, but it still says that there is no internet connection detected, and i can't get to activate the software. any idea? i have Windows XP pro (and ipaq 5550) and activesync 3.7

Nicolas
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you configured the ActiveSync on your Desktop to allow IP passthrough? With your iPAQ in the cradle, can you browse the web from Pocket IE?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bledina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. i can connect to the net on the pda and on the computer. i sent an email to navman about it. i hope they get back to me soon. I looked a bit around and found several comments on the tech forums of expansys with people that had the same problem. I tried on another computer running win98se and activesync 3.6 and no difference, it also gives the error message. I'll just patiently wait an answer from Navman, i guess.
Thanks for your answer ;)

Nicolas
Bledina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is highly frustrating. I still haven't got an answer from Navman, and i just spent the entire day (or almost) in making clean installs of WinXP with various versions of ActiveSync (to see if the problem could come from there). But still nothing... When the activation program checks for an internet connection, it doesn't find it. I drive to Italy this friday, I kinda hoped to test the unit on that trip. I guess it's gonna be for later... Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed not satisfactory. Well, if all rational attempts fail, let's go for the irrational. There is one weird thing I would like you to try. With the PDA outside it's cradle, go to the \windows directory (with the file manager) and execute the "welcome.exe" . This takes you through the initialization again. (Don't worry, it won't break anything). After that, reconnect the PDA to the cradle and try again.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bledina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.
still no luck... Sad i sent another email to navman-europe. I'll just wait for an answer from them now. Thanks for your time and help!

Nicolas
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it can just be there server is down at the other end. This in the early days happened a lot, not sure whether it's still a frequent occasion.
Bledina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that too, but now it has been three days. I would guess that if the server was down, Navman would try to put it back online as soon as possible. I am now on a windows 98se machine with a dsl connection and activesync 3.7 and still no luck (and i got rid of all resident programs so this is bare bone win98). maybe i should try a hard reset on the ipaq...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, in the early days I had to call then on a number of occasions to let them know the activation server was down. It's in theory a server that wouldn't get used much so it's probably not something they check on a regular basis.
Bledina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally succeeded. how? i don't know... I just tried on a laptop running XP home, first with a dsl, and it didn't work, then with a dial up connection, and there, it worked. Now why it works with dial up but not dsl or lan connection.... that's a mystery to me... Anyway, thanks to both of you for listening to my complains and your insights Smile

Nicolas
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This smells like your router/firewall did block some of the ports that are required for the registration - obviously they are not using pure HTTP ... which is a shame.

The Dialup connection is normally wide open, with no ports blocked.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
birder56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Activation failure with SmartST version 3 Reply with quote

I'm cruising this forum because I have exactly the same problem in activating my upgrasde to version 3 of SmartST.
I've been using the 4400 bluetooth gps with an iPAQ5550 plus 1Gb SD card & 4Gb Microdrive for all the version 2 maps of Europe.
Upgrading to V3, installing it in main memory allows SmartST v3 to run with its new features but the desktop part keeps going in an endless circle of trying to achieve Activation and then failing.
The Navman support web pages acknowledge there is a problem but I am awaiting a solution to my submitted email request.
It is interesting to note that I also use an ADSL Broadband connection as does Bledina. I will try ther raw dial-up approach ans see if there is any difference.
This is a real shame on what has been a good bit of software.
birder56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: I forgot abouit the maps Reply with quote

I should have added that the main problem is that the lack of activation does not allow me to upgrade to the new European maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: