Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsonic vs Navman
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsonic vs Navman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Mapsonic vs Navman Reply with quote

Are Mapsonic and Navman 4460/4470 comparable? If any Mapsonic users have used both I would be really interested in your thoughts on why you chose Mapsonic over Navman. I am trying to decide between the two. I posted the following in
Palm Hardware but got no response Crying or Very sad
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate .

i am still wating for an answer to the same question. the delay to the release of the 4470 is frustrating. i wouldnt bother with the 4460 as the maps would be out of date. but in my opinion, having used mapsonic 1.32 for about 1 year, if both mapping systems have the same date maps then i would be heading for navman purely for features. if mapsonic were to offer postcode support, the ability to avoid areas and proper route calculation then i might consider it but the new version, 2.5, still doesnt seem to have addressed these issues. although i have only seen the demo of v2.5 available on their website.

hopefully 4470 will be out soon and a demo available on the website although i am not holding my breath Smile
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matty, good to hear that I am not Robinson Crusoe on this one. From what I can gather they are comparable products. It seems the Navman might have better routing capabilities, the ability to avoid areas and to route across borders. Mapsonic cant do these things but does have the ability to import viaMichelin POIs.

So on this basis, I too am tending toward the Navman 4470. Just frustrated I cannot get some sort of trial version to play with to see how it works. BTW It is in stock and available for purchase here in Australia already. Even with the Full Europe maps. AUD$530=GBP220. When I spoke with my local retailer today he said, we generally get the Navman products here in OZ and NZ first, because Navman is based across the pond in Auckland. In any case I interested in the Europe maps for a upcoming holiday abroad. so I dont actually need them for six weeks or so.

Anyone else used both Navman and Mapsonic stuff?
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is available for pre order for about £150 which gives full maps of the uk but only base maps for europe (major routes etc). the package does include a gps unit, mounts and a card reader as well.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that does sound like a pretty good deal. Can't see the All Europe, map only package over your way though. Perhaps they only make that available to the US and Antipodes.
I notice on the Navman website they say Max SD card size is 256mb and some fast 512mb cards may work. Has anyone tried a 1GB card? The reason I ask is that I have a good quality (fast) 1GB SD card and I was hoping it might work...
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could do with just the maps as i have everything else. i have emailed navman but got no response. do you think i am suprised?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: