Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Opinion of TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinion of TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Opinion of TomTom Reply with quote

Over the last few weeks I got the impression from these forums that TomTom was the way to go, and lots of people were raving about the new version, so I ordered TTN2 last night (and an Emtac Bluetooth receiver).

How opinion has changed overnight Surely the new version isn't worse than the old? I understand that 'you' may be disappointed the new version doesn't match up to expectations, but it doesn't make it a bad product. Does it?

Tell me it's still good, please!!!!!

Aero
musicreative
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Opinion of TomTom Reply with quote

My advice - for what it's worth - is to stick with your decision. The Emtac BTGPS is a great little device and the TomTom software is an excellent choice. Clearly, it isn't perfect - but neither was TTN1 - and neither is any other GPS application. I am sure that there will be updates provided to mop up any problems. Of all the PocketPC GPS companies out there, TomTom does seem to put out updates more often than most.

I understand that others may feel somewhat disappointed with the upgrade. We all want a perfect GPS application with no mapping errors and loads of features. IMHO this new version is a good step on the way.

Tim
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

I'm on TTN1.50 (waiting for the upgrade) and an Emtac machine, and I'm still over the moon with it. Anything that can get me from my door in East Anglia to a car park in Shepherd's Bush without any hassles whatsoever gets my vote.

Have been using it on and off now for four months, and I must be lucky, since I haven't come across any problems at all.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Aero,

I dont imagine that opinion has changed overnight. More that a couple of people who are not exactly Tom Tom fans are posting adverse comments.

Not a problem as this is a free country etc. But check closely on who is critisising and who is praising. As with all products there will be teething problems as people try to find their way around.

From what I have seen so far (not having a copy myself) it seems to be a good upgrade, to a very good product. So keep you eye on these forums and post your comments good or bad.
aero
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your comments. It's reassuring that you haven't had any troubles Cessquil, but I'll take on board what Tim and Mike have said.

Perhaps I should consider this a bit of a reality-check!

But I am again looking forward to getting my hands on the stuff
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Aero

As someone who has been critcal of TTN2 - I think that I just thought it was going to be the absolute dogs b and as it's not I am a little dissapointed.

One thing has not changed is the way it runs flawlessly on my ipaq - easy install, easy activation (I barely noticed it), and accurate positioning on the maps. I think within a couple of days I'll be pretty happy with it - like windows once you get used to the odd problems and understand how to ignore them/make them work, you cease to notice the problems.

I had the chance tonight to try the alternative route option (to avoid the M11) and ended up finding a rather nice pub on a road I would never have used without TT - result! So I ended up being home half an hour later than planned - which I could blame on TTN2 but only because of the half pint that I had whilst making a couple of phone calls.

Ian
aero
Regular Visitor

Soooo, TTN2 has cost me about £800 (ipaq, BTGPS, TTN2, SD card) and will make me late home after nipping to the pub for a swift half. Recipe for divorce!

Thanks Ian, I feel much better now

NikosF
Occasional Visitor

Aero,

I also just dropped over £800 for the 3970, BTGPS, TTN2, SD card (in one go - ouch). I've been using a Garmin emap for the last two years.

I guess based on the comments on this site on TTN2 I was expecting something more advanced the the product really is. It's not that it's bad - it's just technology that's still early in the adoption curve. So - your iPAQ will crash, you won't get a good fix on satellites if you are in London, the routing will sometimes be a bit questionable. In a few years people will laugh at how primitive the solution was.

So - I think the iPAQ / BTGPS / TTN2 is the best choice from WHAT'S OUT THERE, but I suspect some of the people writing these rave reviews are enthusiasts that got used to the previous generation of GPS solutions - and this now seems fantastic in comparison.

Is it a seamless, effort-less solution yet - no. Would I recommend this to my non-technology friendly people (like my elderly parents) - no. Am I glad I bought it - YES. (But then I'm a techie and have had a PDA since 1994 - a HP200LX).

Once you get over the disappointment of the slightly over-hyped TTN2, you'll realise your iPAQ is also a MP3 player (with very good quality sound through headphones), can play back DivX movies (a compressed DVD is only 100-150MB), is a virtual library (there is an ebooks reader included), plays a mean game of backgammon, and can even be used as an address book.

Enjoy.
aero
Regular Visitor

I hadn't thought about using the ipaq for watching movies. That'll keep the kids entertained for a while.

I may well be a bit disappointed with the TTN2, my previous Sat Nav system was on a Lexus, and that was mint. I'll enjoy it as long as I'm realistic.

Interestingly you mention not recommending it to you aging parents - mine are very interested in the set-up, but aren't that technologically minded. Useful advice, thank you.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Great

now I've got a picture in my mind of OAP's in austin allegro's prodding the screen of an ipaq whilst doing 25mph on the way to Scarboro on a bank holiday!

Suggestions for POI - bingo halls, Supermarkets (only to appear when I'm in a hurry to get served) and post offices (but only to appear on pension day) !

Think I'm off for another swift half!

Ian

alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I just bought TTN2 and Socket (Emtac) for my 3850 with TDK Bluetooth Sleeve. This is my first GPS and I cannot say how pleased I am :-D. Probably because I had no preconceptions. For driving around Scotland I am very impressed ! The rerouting is fantastic and I find the 3D View really useful. The interface is a little un-intuitive for me, and 1 or 2 things a bit odd ie the Show on Map from contacts :-S, but I will get used to it. Other than that just getting used to its features.

Regards,

B
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

My 95 year old mother was fascinated in our new GPS toy yesterday; of course she no longer drives. She also loved mobile phones/digital camera/pics onto the laptop when that was all new. I am surprised that I feel safer when driving using the GPS as it takes the initial route finding decision making away from the driver and the driver can just concentrate on deciding if the information given is good or duff. . . . . as you would if a friend was map reading for you.

Buffy :0)
aero
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by iancjc on 04 April 2003

Suggestions for POI - bingo halls, Supermarkets (only to appear when I'm in a hurry to get served) and post offices (but only to appear on pension day) !

Laughing Out Loud. Reminds me of a joke. What's 6 miles long and stinks of p155?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: