Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 Wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 Wishlist
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Wishlist Reply with quote

Please post any wishlists here that weren't included in TomTOm Navigator 2 and you'd like to see in the next release or update.
jayshry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Wishlist Reply with quote

PROPER POST CODE SEARCH

GIVEN THAT TOMTOM POST CODE SEARCH IS SH*T ONE WOULD PROBABLY BE BETTER OFF BUYIN COPILOT OR EVEN NAVMAN (NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT)
musicreative
Regular Visitor

Each of the systems has its positive and negative points. I have not seen any system which implements UK post code search in any meaningful way. IMHO one should be able to enter the FULL postcode plus the house number (optional) and the street, city and county should be located automatically. Clearly, TomTom and others can only do this if the base data has the full postcode mapping available. This may or may not be available in the TeleAtlas and NavTech data - I don't know...

Certainly, TomTom's implementation of the postcode search is not as useful as it could have been. Maybe it works better with european addresses?

Tim
TonyP
Regular Visitor

It certainly wont work any better with Belgian or French postcodes. They only denote an area covered by a main post office, rather like the 1st 3 chars of the UK postcode. It ought to be possible to find an address using the postcode, streetname and house number however.

It might work for the Netherlands, there the postcodes denote a street segment. eg the TomTom postcode 1012 VA corresponds to Spuistraat 102 to 122 in Amsterdam.

A big problem in the UK is that many houses in the country only have names, and often the lane they are in has no name, so the address is something like "Dunroamin", Little Pitherington, Near Great Pitherington, North Devon.

For these addresses the postcode is probably the only way to find them (other than the GPS coords)
TonyP
Regular Visitor

Living in Belgium, I would like to see pan European routing, even it was implemented using a separate major roads map.
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

My wishlist (and some of these may be there, but I didn't find them).

1. If you select a 'suburb' of London as a city - Ealing for example - I would expect the following drop down list of street names to only be in Ealing or Richmond - as it is it gives places quite far away as well

2. More efficient algorithm when selecting city names - can take longer to select the drop down than it does to do the routing.

3. Trip computer - as implemented in the Garmin GPSs - top speed, average speed, average moving speed, distance covered, etc.

4. Tracks - lay down 'cookie crumbs' - especially useful when hiking.

5. Ability to show street names when on Navigator view

6. Ability to maintain 'North Up' in Navigator view

7. Ability to select at which zoom levels POI symbols become visible.

8. More robust Bluetooth integration. It seems every time I try to disconnect my GPS the iPAQ needs a reset. (this could well be an Emtac or HP issue)

9. Navigate via waypoints (I want to go to Cambridge via this address)

10. Store routes beforehand that can quickly be called up when navigating. (ie plan a trip beforehand and download/ save in iPAQ)

11. Use the most up to date mapping data (obviously)
mshah
Regular Visitor

Well here is my wish list. Some of these maybe repeated from other's but it is 'My Wish list'

1. Full postcode search (Only have to enter a postcode and house number to get a match in most cases)
  2. Add way points which your route must go through (Options for way points which are just to pass through and ones where you want to stop)
  3. Faster city/address searching (Maybe sorted by postcode searching but still a nice feature if you don't have the postcode)
  4. Size of 3D cursor is in proportion to the zoom level (Some times the curson is way too big)
  5. Voice navigation by street names similar to copilot 3.5 (But would also like a toggle between this and the current generic voice navigation)
  6. Mini roundabouts are not registered, would be nice to hear 'straight across roundabout' or 'left at roundabout'
  7. 2D is good for junctions, 3D is good for everything but junctions. Therefore a nice feature would be to switch to 2D at junctions and 3D everywhere else (But also have options to have this turned off so it can be manually controlled)
  8. Adding traffic lights to the map data. This can be taken intou account when planning a route to take the least traffic like route. Also can be used withiin voice instructions 'take left at traffic lights'
  9. Ability to avoid motorway from junction x to junction y

In order to keep as many people happy as possible when implementing new ideas, I think it is very important that there is always the option of doing things the old way as well as the new way.
gman
Occasional Visitor

I live in the States, and as someone said above, I think TomTom will be in shock soon when they see how dissatisfied their customers are with the software and they start jumping ship to use better, cheaper software from other companies.

I have only been using TomTom USA for a few days, but I can tell you that its routing engine is quite bad compared to other US nav software that I have used. TomTom has the 'prettiest' and 'slickest' GUI that I've seen, but thats about it. That being said, here's my wishlist:

1. TomTom MUST work w/TeleAtlas to attach speed limit information to each individual street/highway. This is most definitely the key to have the routing work properly (this is what other programs do and their routing is MUCH more accurate).

2. Street names shown on the maps in Navigator views.

3. Ability to choose Shortest route or Quickest route while in Navigator mode.

4. More street names shown in Map mode w/out having to zoom all the way in.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'm inclined to agree with number 4 in that I think the default tends to display fewer names than is desirable. However, you can adjust the display (though I found this unintuitive and stumbled across it only by accident).

If you press the right most of the icons at the bottom of the screen in map mode, which looks like a pair of sliders, you'll get two sliders (and in version 2.22 and above, a check box) at the bottom of the screen.

The Roads slider sets the road detail shown.

The Places slider allows you to choose the number of names shown - particularly road names. This is particularly sensitive at the top end of the slider.

The POI check box allows you to turn display of POIs on and off.

The two sliders will move when you adjust the zoom level - so their effect is only temporary. You can pan around the map and they won't move, so long as you don't change the zoom. They can be extremely useful!

David
Fuego
Regular Visitor

Cessquill, I believe the assignment of hardware buttons to an application is a limitation of the Pocket PC operating system.

Once an application has assigned a function to a button, that assignment cannot be over-ridden, until the application terminates, or releases the assignment.

Therefore, if TTN2 were to release a button assignment, when it is running in background, it might not be guaranteed in being able to re-assign it back, once TTN2 returned to the foreground, if another program grabbed it in the interim.

If we accepted this, then it might be workable, but I can imagine people complaining about the buttons not getting re-assigned, when switching back to the TTN2 application.

However, at the least, TT could make a button do two different things, depending whether in Map mode, or Navigator mode. That in itself would be useful.

obarnes
Occasional Visitor

1. Street, town, road names / numbers in Navigator view as an option. I like to see what is around me!

2. Faster city name search - too long to pull up places.

3. GPS inforamtion such as avg. speed, distance covered, top speed etc. Integrate something like GPSDash (http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~splattne/gpsdash/)

4. Ability to select level of roads shown regardless of zoom level in Navigator view.

5. Complete post code search using XY12 1AB only for example.
obarnes
Occasional Visitor

6. Control speed of "Demo Route" playback - It drives far too slowly!!
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I would like some way of marking roads which I would prefer the software to use due to local knowledge, ie theoretically faster routing wise, but it has far too many traffic lights on it etc. I know I can use the avoid area feature (which I use to crudely implement this feature) but if you use this and then I have to roadblock my preferred route it will not re-route through the avoid area, giving in certain cases no alternatives. It would be cool if the avoided/downgraded road could be marked in such a way that it could still be used in a last resort route.

Regards,

B
obarnes
Occasional Visitor

7. Ability to change size and colour of cursor arrow, independant of zoom level.
oisky
Regular Visitor

Ability to recalculate a new route using either shortest or quickest whilst driving.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: