Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Losing ICN 630 GPS signal...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing ICN 630 GPS signal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Losing ICN 630 GPS signal... Reply with quote

I have a strange problem. My ICN 630 loses cannot get a GPS fix in my car when I have it in the centre of the windscreen practically sitting on the dashboard. If I move it upwards towards the rear view mirror or along the windscreen towards the right (drivers side) the GPS signal returns until I practically get a full signal when it's almost at the door/windscreen pillar. Anyone know why this is happening? What could be interfering with the signal? I don't have a heated front windscreen.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car do you have? Sounds very much like you have one with an athermic coating on the windscreen to block heat but this also has a side effect of degrading the GPS signal.

Most PSA vehicles (Citroen, Peugeot, Renault) have these coatings as do some Italian vehicles e.g. Alfa Romeo.

The coatings often do not extend the the far edges of the screen and they normally leave a clear section behind the rear view mirror to alolow the use of Toll Tag devices etc.

Your only options are to mount where you can get a signal or use an external antenna or re-radiating antenna, see here.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well I do have an Alfa 156. How does athermic coating work then? I only have to move the GPS a few cms from the centre to get a signal. It's almost full strengh if I put it in front my the driver's cockpit, but it's distracting there, so I leave it at the far right hand side of the driver by the door/windscreen pillar and it's fine there.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athermic coatings are an anti-glare layer, how they work I have no idea but I do know that they as they block solar radiation they have the unwanted side effect of degrading the already pretty weak signal from the GPSV's 25,000 miles above.

The simplest solution would be to buy the accessory external antenna for the iCN630, this has a magnetic base and mounts outside. You can then position the unit on the dash whereever you wish.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The athermic windscreen most likely has a metallic based coating or layer in the glass. Not only will that reflect infra-red radiation (the whole point of it), it also affects the RF permeability of the screen.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, they do have a metallic coating inside the screen, a very thin layer not visible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: