Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to connect
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to connect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Unable to connect Reply with quote

I've just got a new phone, connected to Vodafone, and tried to connect my iPAQ 2201 to the tomtom test URL before subscribing to traffic.

I created a bluetooth pairing between the phone and the iPAQ, and created a connection (using the phone number, uid and password given to me by Vodafone).

I tried to connect...

I get...

The connection failed and could not be reestablished.

...and...

Waiting for device...
Connection Established.
Unable to establish a connection. Please make sure the device is enabled and in range. Also verify that the requested service is available.

...and...

Dialed: *99#
Cannot connect for an unknown reason. To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap Settings. If the problem continues, reset your mobile device according to your manufacturer's documentation and try again.

Help!

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several settings required in both the phone and 2210. Try checking out the Vodafone site again for instructions - I use O2,and must admit their helpdesk was hopeless. Test the connection by accessing Internet Explorer on your 2210. Try looking for Google.com on it. Once you get that working then move onto Traffic.

Steve
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited the Vodafone, HP, Sony Ericsson and TomTom websites, and I'm pretty sure that I've got the settings right. Yet I still can't connect Sad Looks like I'll have abandon any ideas I have of getting Traffic :x - unless there's someone out there who knows how to help me... :D

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this lot neatly packaged - but, assuming a Nokia phone and Vodafone:

Dial *99***1#
Extra dial-string settings should be +CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
User name and password are web
Dialing rules should be off.

Amongst the settings, check that the serial port speed for the Bluetooth dial up modem is 115200, just in case it actually makes any difference.

David
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you need to get GPRS set up on the phone first with Vodafone before you can use it - ring free on 191. Also you need IP addresses for both your phone and PDA, the phone one is 212.183.137.012, homepage should be set to http://live.vodafone.com

Guidance and instuctions are here
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Bit of a problem I'm afraid...

The URL http://live.vodafone.com doesn't work. I get a load of stuff about Apache web server.

Also, the link to guidance and instructions doesn't work. I get:
Quote:
Sorry, your internet browsing session has expired.

Any ideas?

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crap. I think my 2110 is knackered. Start->Settings->Connections->Connections now gives me a blank page that only contains the following text...
Quote:
To set up or change connection information information, tap one of the following links.

There's nothing else on the page.

I guess I should have known better. It's my experience that using Microsoft products nearly always ends in heartache and disappointment Evil or Very Mad

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they're there - I can see them when it asks me which connection to use. However, when I view connections, they're not there!

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's information relates to WAP, not GPRS Internet access. The information I gave is correct for Vodafone UK - APN name of "internet", user name and password are both "web".

Geraint - try a soft reset and see what you've got then. The Connection Manager is probably one of the flakiest bits of Pocket PC (it was even worse in Pocket PC 2002 - it's rather better in 2003 and has been tidied up a little more in 2003SE).

It's easiest to create the connection using the Bluetooth Manager on the Pocket PC first, then edit it to look like this.

Here's my Vodafone GPRS connection:

Enter a name for the connection:
Vodafone GPRS

Select a modem:
Bluetooth Dialup Modem

next page

Enter the number exactly as it should be dialed. Include any extra numbers, such as an outside line or credit card.

*99***1#

next page

User name:
web

Password:
web

Domain:*
left blank

Press the Advanced... button

General tab:

Baud rate:

Wait for dial tone before dialing:
checked

Wait for credit card
0 sec

Extra dial string modem commands:
+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"

Cancel if not connected in
checked
120 sec

If you get problems in operation, go into the Advanced..., TCP/IP tab and turn off the options relating to compression.

These instructions are written for a Nokia phone which only uses context ID 1. SonyEricsson handsets are best with a context ID of 3 - so change the 1 before the # in the "number" (so you have *99***3#) and after the = in the "extra" dial string to the context ID you wish to use (+CGDCONT=3,"IP",...).

For T-Mobile, change "internet" to "general.t-mobile.uk" - the user name and password can be, I believe, anything.

For Orange contract, change "internet" to "orangeinternet" - I believe the user name and password should be left blank.

For Orange pre-pay, change "internet" to "payginternet" - again, I believe the user name and password should be left blank.

For O2, change "internet" to "mobile.o2.co.uk", user name is web and password is password

David

(Edited to provide information for other UK networks and to clarify the instructions for SonyEricsson handset users)

Last edited by DavidW on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Steve's information relates to WAP, not GPRS...

OK, the information I gave relates to getting internet access on your GPRS enabled phone - there are instructions on the Vodafone site for many different phones. If you are paying for GPRS, surely you want to access WAP via your phone, and it is a good way of checking the GPRS is activated.

Regarding the PDA, the link I gave obviously expired. So go to www.Vodafone.co.uk, type <pda> in the search field, then click on <internet Access Guide>, <set up your PDA>.<step by step guide> the 2210 is not one of their recommended PDAs, but the route to getting access is virtually the same.
one point where it differs from Dave's instructions is the phone number - this shows *99#

Steve
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. the link http://live.vodafone.com is the homepage which should be entered into your phone to get WAP access via GPRS Laughing
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fixed :D

It seems that my PPC had become totally screwed, so I restored it to a previous state from a backup I'd taken (using Sprite backup/restore). After the restore, connections page worked once more, so I set about the task of setting up GPRS internet access via my phone again.

I couldn't get it to work right away. I tried various telephone numbers, but no luck. I finally found the solution - from info in this forum, and also at http://www.tekguru.co.uk/.

- the telephone number should be *99**3#
- the extra dial-string should be "z" Confused

Using these settings I can now connect to the internet through my phone.

The story doesn't end here though.

I downloaded and installed the Traffic plugin. I couldn't get it to connect though. If I connected outside of TTN, and then started TTN, Traffic could download traffic reports. However, if I did not connect first, Traffic couldn't make its own connection Evil or Very Mad

Help was at hand though. A quick visit to the TomTom website revealed that this was a known problem. Apparently Traffic won't work if it can't "see" the bluetooth GPS receiver Confused The options are to switch on the BT receiver or to uncheck the checkbox on the GPS tab of the GPS status window.

Everything now works fine. All I need to do now is test it on the road.

Thanks for the help everyone.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geraint wrote:
Apparently Traffic won't work if it can't "see" the bluetooth GPS receiver Confused The options are to switch on the BT receiver or to uncheck the checkbox on the GPS tab of the GPS status window.

Glad you got it working in the end. :D

I tried unchecking the one box there - the main one which allows you to change the settings and it just came up with GPS Disabled when I went back to Navigator view.

I usually just switch the BT on and off as necessary.

I will have to take a look at the TT site.

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geraint wrote:
- the telephone number should be *99**3#
- the extra dial-string should be "z" Confused

Is the first line a typo for *99***3# - that is, one more * than you've shown?

Having the extra dial string as Z is relying on the GPRS context being already configured correctly on the phone. If you wanted to configure context ID 3 explicitly for Vodafone, the extra dial string should be

+CGDCONT=3,"IP","internet"

If it's working, by all means leave it alone, though be aware that setting things up your way means that the Internet APN has to be set correctly in the phone.

David
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right. The correct "telephone number" should have been *99***3#.

As to what you said about the "z", I have absolutely no idea what you meant Wink but I have no doubt at all that you're right. I'll try it out and see what happens.

Thanks.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: