Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do you let TOM TOM know you know best?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you let TOM TOM know you know best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garycole
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: How do you let TOM TOM know you know best? Reply with quote

I am trying to get from poole to mansfield (Notts) It is a route I have travelled before. I would go from the m40 to the a43 onto m1, but tt3 wants me to go another route at this point. I know I could just drive my route and tt3 would correct itself to my route, however it would be nice if I could get it to do my route before I set out for milage/time etc, i have tried using alternative route but only one option comes up...original! I am runing an iapag 2210 with tt3
thanks
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do you let TOM TOM know you know best? Reply with quote

garycole wrote:
I am trying to get from poole to mansfield (Notts) It is a route I have travelled before. I would go from the m40 to the a43 onto m1, but tt3 wants me to go another route at this point. I know I could just drive my route and tt3 would correct itself to my route, however it would be nice if I could get it to do my route before I set out for milage/time etc, i have tried using alternative route but only one option comes up...original! I am runing an iapag 2210 with tt3
thanks

On the Palm version of TT (I've not used the PPC one) you can do this by selecting "Travel via" an appropriate point. Not sure if it's the same on the PPC.

Glenn.
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

I think you will find that the new A43 (Silverstone by pass) does not exist in TT3 (nor M6 Toll) and that maybe is one reason why it does not route you that way. I presume it is telling you to go further up the M40 to M42/A42 to M1, which is around the same distance according to my Autoroute.

You could also try playing around with the average speed settings for each type of road to bias it one way or the other to suit your preferences. e.g if you reduce the motorway speed by 5mph it will tend to bias you a little more to ordinary roads

Brian
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A43 (M40 to M1) road does exist in TTNav3, however it exists as a single carriageway not as a dual carriageway. TomTom will route you via the A43 although at times you’ll be flying over fields.

Have you tried using the Itinerary function and “drive bys” to force TTNav to drive by a particular place?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all has been said, please keep in mind what this program is supposed to do. You are expecting too much.

If you still can't contain yourself, use a permanent avoid area .

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
garycole
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say I am expecting too much of this programme!! I will give you another example of where I want to tell TT3 where I want to go and it works out a different route. I live in poole dorset. If I want to go from my house to studland TT3 works out a route which it claims is the quickest of 19.3 miles. If I go by the ferry, which TT3 knows is there and tells me I am at a ferry crossing, it is 4.2 miles. MY point is I know this area so I can ignore TT3 and go the quicker route, it will then calculate to my new route, but what if I am in a unfamilair area? I am starting to think TT3 is taking me a tour of the countryside, when in fact there is perhaps a much quicker route. I was wondering is there some settings I can tweak to ensure TT3 gives me the quickest route
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary

It is giving you what it thinks is the quickest route. I've just tried Poole to Studland, and depending on whereabouts in Poole you start from, it either uses the ferry or goes around by land. It must be either adding a waiting time, or using a very slow speed, for calculating the ferry crossing part of the journey - and the crossover point where it decides it's faster to go around by land must fall somewhere in Poole.

Try planning the route in Map view rather than Navigator view. After pressing the A-B button you can select either Quickest or Shortest route in the Type tab. Shortest will take you via the ferry from anywhere in Poole.
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry Thanks for this info about shortest/quickest route,didn't realise you could do that. I'm trying to optimise for motorhome routes , playing with local road speed settings.
Cheers Bill
garycole
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry
Thanks didn't know that feature which has made things better. It will now give me what I want dependent what I enter here....easy when you know how.
Regards
Gary
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the technical "nice-to-know" thing in this.

But why use TomTom to navigate you when you already know the way.
garycole
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reason is to test the kit in an area I know well then I know how effective it can be or its limitations when I am in areas I don't know. Also I tend to forget where speed cameras are......not that I speed of course, but why have it if you an't using it as my missus would say
Boldzak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a similar issue last week when TomTom 3 took me off the M8 at Junct. 15 resulting in a long-winded route through Glasgow City Centre. Had I gone on to junction 16, then turned off, I would have been there 15 minutes earlier. Being quite new to this myself, it seems TT3 will default to taking you the shortest route, but not allowing for city centre traffic.

Having said that, it is a fantastic piece of software, and although it might not always get you there in the shortest time every time, in my experience, it always gets you there Smile

One other thing which someone may be able to answer: -

I have a road near my house which is over 2 years old but isn't in TT3 - how often are the updates released, and is it worth feeding things like this back to someone/somewhere in order to get it added in to the next update? I could understand if the road was <1 yr old, but for it to approaching 3 yrs and still not be on the map seems a bit odd. Does the data come from OS or something?

Cheers
Boldzak
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live myself in a road that is about 3 years old. The name of the roads is not there (Unamed road)...

Nobody will fix this if they dont know. But by logging on to TomTom.com you can report map errors etc...
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom uses data supplied by TeleAtlas. You can feed back map errors to them here:
http://www.teleatlas.com/template_content.jsp?ctype=support_pda&contentpage=supportpda.jsp
If you want to know more about what's involved, see this article about Navteq, the other main map data supplier:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navteq.php
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that TT is very precise over what it tells you is the quickest route.

In driving in the new forest I came up to a fork in the road, but the main road went to the left, and a smaller minor road went to the right. Both ended on the same main road which you could see from the fork.

TT sent me left because a main road is faster than a smaller class road, even over such a small distance of 50yards.

What I feel TT ought to add to their software is a city/built up area aversion factor, so that at rush hour a time penalty is added to these routes to keep you out of city centres etc at rush hour, even though a main A road may run through the centre.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: