Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Express and Windows 8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Express and Windows 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Garmin Express and Windows 8 Reply with quote

OK - I may have an out of date OS but today I discovered that I cannot use Express on my W8 desktop which is where I store my maps to save downloading again.
When I start Express it tells me that it is ready to install the Crtitical update 7.11.1.0. Thre is no option to not "Install Now".
However, when I install the install aborts, allegedly because I do not have administrative rights on my Administrator account.
Because there is no refusal button fo rthe update I am stuck in the Update Required screen and can do nothing to override that to get back to the updates needed for my Garmin.
Any ideas? I have no idea what version of Express is currently installed but it worked OK when I last updated maps in July 2020. Haven't used the device much because of lockdown as it is only used for my motorhome.

PS - I ahve updated maps top 2023.10 using a Win10 laptop!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP included a complete new set of libraries that most modern software needs.

Anything older doesn't surprise me.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8 was AFTER XP and Windows 7 so that's a red herring. My real point was that I can accept that then latest software may not be supported by Win 8 but I cannot use th esoftware that I used in 2020 because it demands to be updated and won't let me use th eold Express. In any event I was only offered 7.11.1.0 and NOT 7.13.1 which was offered on my win 10 laptop. So it was aware that I was using Win 8 BUT it told me I did not have Admin rights when I am THE administrator!!
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
Windows 8 was AFTER XP and Windows 7 so that's a red herring. My real point was that I can accept that then latest software may not be supported by Win 8 !

Not sure why you have that problem. I'm running Win 7 and it runs 7.11.1 quite happily (he said with reservations !)

For about the past 3 map updates, not only did it run dog-slowly but it failed to install the maps into Basecamp on the PC. I tried various older versions and eventually found that 7.2.1 worked ! However, I'd updated to7.13.1 recently.

Ran the install to "Device and Computer " during the night and it hit the error again. During the night, something clicked in my brain and I realised that I've got an old NetGear switch between the router and my PC. (Legacy from my contracting days when I ran a laptop and desktop.). This morning I took the switch out and got a 10x speed increase ! That helps. Uninstalled 7.13.1 and reinstalled 7.2.1. However, as soon as I ran it I got the "Critical Update" message, with no way out.. I retried the install of the maps and it again failed. It then offered me the option to "Reinstall" or "Upload maps to computer " (not sure about the exact wording!). I selected the latter and got, for the first time, the " .. needs to update your computer " message. Said OK and it successfully installed the maps to Basecamp! I suspect it's a permissions thing and that previously, it didn't display the "needs to update" dialog, so failed on that score. Next time there's a map update, I will try installing to the computer as a separate operation and see if that gives me the dialog and perhaps works.

Sorry, that doesn't help your problem but …

Garmin Express should work on Win 8, as it works on the earlier Win 7
Can you tell GE to "run in Administrator mode" (not sure whether this exists in Win 8)

Good luck !

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, got my Windows versions out of order.

If it works in Win7 then try compatibility mode.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: