Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom iOS app vs dedicated device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom iOS app vs dedicated device
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filbert42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Tomtom iOS app vs dedicated device Reply with quote

I'm wondering how good the iPhone app is when compared to a 'real' Tomtom hardware device? The screen shots I've seen look similar.

I have to confess that I don't get on that well with the iPhone version and am wondering if it's worth splashing out on a dedicated device...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi filbert42,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Firstly, I've not used any current TomTom PND, the latest I have is a TomTom 950 Live, which is over 10 years old now! I am using the latest TomTom iOS GO app on an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 12.4.1.

I believe that the latest TomTom PNDs and TomTom iOS app are reasonably similar in functionality although the iOS won't import POIs into MyDrive - you can only save your favourites in iOS MyDrive and you can't search your favourites in MyDrive.

Maps, traffic, and routing are good if not excellent for solo vehicles. Unfortunately, you don't have the ability to specify the vehicle attributes such as a camper van or that you're towing a caravan or trailer.

Neither the current range of TomTom PNDs nor TomTom iOS app support custom POIs, so you can't show PGPSW camera database on the device.

If you use or depend on custom POIs then TomTom iOS app doesn't support custom POIs. However, you can use POIViewer which is a standalone iOS POI manager app that can send destinations to the TomTom iOS app. The benefit of POIViewer is that you can keep your custom POIs separate but invoke any of your iOS navigation apps. I recommend POIViewer and although it's £3.99 it is worth it!

filbert42 wrote:
I have to confess that I don't get on that well with the iPhone version and am wondering if it's worth splashing out on a dedicated device...

I can't answer for you, but I won't buy another TomTom PND again until TomTom bring back all of the features that their PNDs from 10+ years ago used to have - especially fully custom POI support that showed the POIs on both the map and navigation screens.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
filbert42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I won't buy another TomTom PND again until TomTom bring back all of the features that their PNDs from 10+ years ago used to have - especially fully custom POI support that showed the POIs on both the map and navigation screens.

From looking around, that seems to be what others have concluded as well. Maybe I'll eke out my old Go Live 1000 until it finally dies a death.

Thanks for the helpful answer
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi filbert42,

You're welcome.

I tried a Garmin PND back in 2017, I even got a Camper version so that I could get custom routing for large vehicles and for towing. Unfortunately, whilst the Garmin allows POIs to show in the screen I don't like its routing. When I run TomTom and Garmin side-by-side I found the TomTom traffic to be much better in the UK and in Jersey (Channel Islands) where Garmin traffic doesn't work at all. I think that most people who have used TomTom and then try Garmin find that they prefer TomTom for routing and traffic.

However, please don't think that I am a TomTom fanboy! The latest GO is Fisher-Price when compared with the old NAV2 and NAV3 PNDs and the legacy TomTom iOS app. The GO app was released in Feb 2016 (currently that's 3⅔ years ago) and despite emails and posts in the TomTom forum, TomTom have not added the necessary functionality to GO, apart from adding CarPlay and that is apparently a partial success!

I'm not familiar with the Go Live 1000 but if you can get traffic then certainly keep running it until it dies.

I don't know if the GO v2 still allows you a free 50 mile per month trail. IF it does then give it another try. If you need POIs then you will need POIViewer.

What things (e.g. routing, traffic, custom POIs, towing, etc) are important to you in a SatNav?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the original iOS GO for my iPhone and they awarded all of us some free running when they changed to the new rubbish improved subscription version. That free running ended not long ago and they now want subscriptions without which the app simply won't load. Not that I use it, because I think it's horrible. I only bought it in the first place when I wanted to navigate abroad and I don't need it now because Google Maps will suffice for my small needs on a Greek island. But I fired it up and was outraged to find it wouldn't even load never mind wouldn't navigate.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Update #2: TomTom iOS GO is now working again with POIViewer
TomTom iOS GO v2.0.2 was released on 20th September 2019 and worked OK with iOS 12 but iOS 13 caused iOS GO 2.0.2 to have trouble with POIViewer. TomTom iOS GO v2.0.3 was released on 7th October 2019 which appears to have fixed the problem. I've left the following post in case this happens again and you can use the following method to manually use coordinates from your custom POIs in POIViewer to navigate to in TomTom iOS GO.

Hi filbert42,

On Sunday 6th October 2019, I upgraded iOS on my iPhone 6s Plus from iOS 12 to iOS 13.1.2. Unfortunately, this has broken the trick that POIViewer uses to launch and send the coordinates to TomTom iOS GO v2.0.2. As a result, I cannot easily use my custom POIs (from POIViewer) with TomTom Go - effectively making TomTom GO as useful as a chocolate Teapot! Evil or Very Mad

I've sent an email to the author of POIViewer and I hope that he can find a way to get POIViewer to open and send coordinates to TomTom GO when using iOS 13.

In the meanwhile, I've got a workaround, albeit a long-winded way and you do need to use the Mapcode app:
  1. Open POIViewer app
  2. Find the POI and copy its coordinates (tap and hold on the coordinates to do this)
  3. Open Mapcode app
  4. Clear the address and then paste coordinates into the address box
  5. Tap on the Mapcode box to copy the Mapcode
  6. Open TomTom GO app
  7. Paste the Mapcode into the address search box
  8. Tell TomTom GO to drive to that address.

As I've already mentioned, the above method is a real PITA and unless you've invested a lot of time getting your custom POIs into POIViewer then I can't see many people using it. However, it is a workaround. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't the IOS app use MyDrive or use the cloud services?

I know the Android lets you use MyDrive and send to the Go App

I have both the hardware PND and software on my mobile, but currently using Google Maps for certain trips as it works with Android Auto on my phone screen.

Ideally you need to weigh up how much you are going to use the product and determine if you would be fine with software or hardware models.

Software you looking at £15 a year (unless they bring out another 3 year offer) and can be ported to new devices, while hardware you looking at £150 and it can be switched to new device

I agree the routing is a lot better than Garmins and you don't lose half the screen for the notifications. Overall the interface on the TomTom is better.

If you want TomTom and want to keep notifications of cameras, then get the software version and install CamerAlert.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
Why can't the IOS app use MyDrive or use the cloud services?

I know the Android lets you use MyDrive and send to the Go App.

Unfortunately whilst Android TomTom GO can do this, the iOS TomTom GO app cannot. You can save favourites via the website that transfer to the iOS app via MyDrive but you cannot import POIs into MyDrive and transfer them to iOS app. Nor can you search the favourites in iOS app.

Whilst the current PNDs, Android app, and iOS app all have the common NavKit engine and so look similar, their functionality is not the same with the iOS app being the least developed of all.

Don't forget that the iOS app was released over 3 years ago and still has the functionality of a beta release when compared to its predecessor the legacy TomTom app!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh just noticed when looked at products on their website that it's got a different name and doesn't look to have all features of the android app.

Another option for users to try is Sygic, it's not perfect but better than Garmin and you can pay a one-off fee to get everything (updates, traffic, cameras) and it uses the tomtom maps, traffic, cameras

Again you can pull in poi for Sygic but not the cameras Sad
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iOS Sygic doesn't accept POIs. The Sygic website says that the iOS version does accept POIs but when I tried I found it impossible, I then asked Sygic Support and they confirmed that it didn't.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
iOS Sygic doesn't accept POIs. The Sygic website says that the iOS version does accept POIs but when I tried I found it impossible, I then asked Sygic Support and they confirmed that it didn't.

I've just noticed they advise currently can't import your own - i previously had some installed (downloaded them and then used rupi manager) - i'll check to see if they still there or can still use rupi manager

I've just got some poi in ov2 format and converted to rupi using rupi manager, then got a bmp image and put them in the import folder in sygic and they were imported
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
I've just got some poi in ov2 format and converted to rupi using rupi manager, then got a bmp image and put them in the import folder in sygic and they were imported

I really hate it when a SatNav PND or app has its own proprietary files for POIs. Most POIs are now .csv or .ov2 (I know that .ov2 is a TomTom format but a number of different brands seem to be able to use it so it's almost an industry standard).

If you want to create POIs for Sygic then you need to use their rupi manager, which is OK if you use Windows but as a Mac user, I have found that Sygi has not created a Mac version of their rupi manager. Why not just use .csv UTF-8 so anybody can create the POI using any number of programs?

Back to TomTom, they have now released iOS GO v2.0.3 which once again allows POIViewer to launch TomTom iOS GO with destination coordinates.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U can use rupimanager on mobile that will do the conversion

on tomtom, a new version is on its way, not sure when it will be released but it has different format for maps and also different subscriptions
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
U can use rupimanager on mobile that will do the conversion

Perhaps on Android, but there is no RupiManager iOS app. Anyway, Sygic told me a long time ago that their Sygic iOS SatNav app doesn't take POIs.

walkerx wrote:
on tomtom, a new version is on its way, not sure when it will be released but it has different format for maps and also different subscriptions

TomTom GO Navigation v2.1 iOS was released on 31 October 2019. It allows regional and full country map updates (i.e. just changes not full reloads). There are different subscription periods as well now, I think.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Sygic have changed it recently, you can load user POIs BUT you cannot set a proximity alert for them.
This is not a rumour, it's fact as I have Sygic running on my phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: