Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hand held GPS for marking waypoints when fishing .
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand held GPS for marking waypoints when fishing .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul600
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Hand held GPS for marking waypoints when fishing . Reply with quote

Hi , I'm a total novice in the world of gps and all that goes with it and hope I've.posted in the correct forum .
I'm a fresh water fisherman that fishes very large gravel pits , I use a boat to place my baits in very specific areas of a couple of square meters up to 200 yards out in the lake , I use these areas throughout the year . I am thinking of getting a gps to mark the areas , which would be so much easier at night .
So my question is simply which unit would you recommend . I know I'm not going to be pin point accurate but with 3 or 4 meters would be perfect .
Many thanks for your advice in advance .
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's all you need, no mapping, then a simple GPS like the Etrex 10 would do. Alternatively you could download a mapping program like ViewRanger to your smartphone and use that.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'd say use a cheap smartphone and app. However, as you're wanting to use it on the water I'd go for a GPS Receiver.

However, I'd check whether the Etrex 10 is: waterproof; can float; can be tied to a lanyard; preferably can be backed up to a computer. So if you were unfortunate to lose it you could get another one and reprogram it with your fishing locations.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Paul600
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
If that's all you need, no mapping, then a simple GPS like the Etrex 10 would do. Alternatively you could download a mapping program like ViewRanger to your smartphone and use that.

Thank you for your reply , from what I can gather 3 or 4 m is as good as I can expect unless I go for a very expensive one ?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, consumer grade devices can't get much better than that.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Normally I'd say use a cheap smartphone and app. However, as you're wanting to use it on the water I'd go for a GPS Receiver.

However, I'd check whether the Etrex 10 is: waterproof; can float; can be tied to a lanyard; preferably can be backed up to a computer. So if you were unfortunate to lose it you could get another one and reprogram it with your fishing locations.

Regards,

Both can be placed in waterproof pouches if necessary, although the Etrex is waterproof to IPX7. Both can have their data transferred to PC etc.
Paul600
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Privateer wrote:

Regards,

Both can be placed in waterproof pouches if necessary, although the Etrex is waterproof to IPX7. Both can have their data transferred to PC etc.

Great thank you very much for your help .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: