Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.

The speed camera updates are only when they get around to it - a long way from their quoted every 2 weeks. It warns me of non-existent cameras in local locations that I know have never had any sort of speed camera?

The OS is clunky, the auto save event mostly does not work, the manual lock file is totally useless (does not save enough pre-event) but the video quality is above average I would say BUT their viewer program is absolutely atrocious - I have yet to find a decent viewer for the files that allows you to see location on Google maps alongside the video playback - the programs either don't like the video format and/or the location information.

Customer support can be good or bad - the main problems seem to be that they don't always have in depth knowledge of their own products or the files that are on the web page?

I consider this purchase an expensive mistake and I am putting up with it until it gets to frustrating and/or starts to fail whereupon it will go straight in the bin and I will look elsewhere. The next purchase will be far less influenced by reviews in certain publications where it seems likely the reviewer probably only navigated around their desk to evaluate the product (present company excepted)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever dashcam you look at or decide to buy, I would recommend that you get a dashcam with HDR.

I have a number of RoadHawk HD units (don't have HDR) which took me a longtime to optimise the settings - mainly because you have to go through the videos and make a single change on the computer (no ability to change settings via the device itself) and keep trying. Once I had a setting optimised for the driving I do (mainly daytime) then I was happy.

I have recently bought a couple of RoadHawk HD-2 units (have HDR) and initially used the same settings from the HD but I had to increase the bitrate to improve the video quality.

When I activated the HD-2's HDR facility (which when active ignores and overrides a lot of the settings) the video quality at night was impressive as was other times when the sun was low in the sky.

Whilst I like the RoadHawk HD and HD-2, I do appreciate that other people may not like them - but HDR is a very useful function to have.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodbar wrote:
BUT their viewer program is absolutely atrocious - I have yet to find a decent viewer for the files that allows you to see location on Google maps alongside the video playback - the programs either don't like the video format and/or the location information.

The standard dashcam viewer software supplied with the RAC dashcam is a version of Dashcam Viewer, which is restricted to only use RAC dashcam data. However as a Mac user, I'm happily using a fully licensed (and hence unrestricted) and up-to-date version of Dashcam Viewer with no problems.

Yes, Dashcam Viewer is not free ($25.00 USD) but I've found it to be a good viewer. The author takes requests for new features on board. The software is regularly updated and is available for both Windows and Mac computers.

If you're a Windows user, then I found Registrator Viewer to be a good alternative, certainly for RoadHawk HD units.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, the RAC05 does have HDR - the only proviso is that it will only work upto Full HD quality - which is actually fine with me because I don't see the point of using the higher resolutions - takes more space on the card and not so easy to transfer and/or view on other devices.

I do actually leave mine in HDR all the time which is probably not the best way but I just can't be a***d to think about changing modes everytime I get in the car. Of course it would have been releatively simple for the manufacturer to have a setting to automatically enable this in low light conditions - but they have not, so it is what it is.

This is one of my major concerns with the device - my previous camera, once you got it set how you wanted it was just a fit and forget device - untill you wanted some footage. This one needs your interaction on lots of things - if you want to lock the file you press the button once if the screen is on BUT twice if the screen was off. It probably did not include the incident you thought you were capturing so as soon as possible you have to connect to a PC and using the locked file as a time reference you then locate the other normal files either side of it to get what you want!

Obviously if you don't do this soon enough those required files will have been overwritten as they were not locked.

To be honest I don't bother much to even check for any updates because, generally, the intentions expressed by the supplier - to incorporate user feedback and suggestions in firmware updates, as well as the new exciting models to be be released in September 2016 - have not materialised.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the updates I mentioned were for the computer Dashcam Viewer software and not the RAC dashcam unit firmware. I understand that RAC has a licence agreement with Earthshine Software who write the Mac and Windows viewing software "Dashcam Viewer".

A while ago, I tried the RAC 03 rearview mirror dashcam which allowed me to download a copy of Dashcam Viewer software for my computer. I could use the software to view the video/GPS from the RAC but not the RoadHawk - this was because I was using a restricted copy of Dashcam Viewer. Once I had a fully licensed copy of Dashcam Viewer I could analyse both the RAC and RoadHawk dashcam data.

I run my RoadHawk HD-2 in 1080, 30 fps, highest bitrate (i.e. 20 Mb/s) in HDR all the time to optimise the video. Each full minute of video footage can be 84 Mb, 105 Mb, or 126 Mb. The difference is due to HDR.

Please note that Macs display file size differently, i.e. 84 Mb is about 82 Mb on Windows, 105 Mb is about 102 Mb on Windows, and 126 Mb is about 123 Mb on Windows. I believe the difference is that Apple uses 1000 and Microsoft uses 1024 for GB.

I estimate that on a 64GB SD card that I can get just over 9 hours of recording before the earliest data is overwritten on the card.

I rarely let data on a card be overwritten. I regularly swap cards, I back them up to a hard drive and then keep the video data for at least six months.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll give it a miss then.
Thanks.
slippybricks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

mikeharris did you ever get the file format that Proofcam uses?

Regards
Andy
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I got no response.

The big selling point for me was the speedcam integration.

IMO the camera is not worth having - I'm unable to update the speedcams and the last update on the proofcam site is dated 06-08-2018. Sad

Regards
Mike
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it’s a good dashcam for video quality

I have to agree with Mike about the lack of speed camera updates - I have been emailing them regularly over the last 6 months but it seems to be just excuses.

Mike - please do keep chasing them as will I.

John.
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, just gt an email to say this thread was updated - long gaps!

I have not even bothered checking for speed-cam or firmware updates for more than a year or so - just too many broken promises from proofcam regarding sorting out the frequency and naming of their files as well as features and usability etc.

The RAC 05 is still in use, JUST, in my wife's car but it appears the battery is shot (camera not car) so I am on the lookout for a replacement.

I picked up a Nextbase 412GW from Sainsburys a while back as they were selling them for £79 which seemed a good deal at the time. Must admit it is pretty good especially with the polarizing filter fitted - my previous Mazda 6 had horrendous screen reflections - very bad for the driver let alone the camera! Luckily my current C Class is far better in that respect and I have added my old trusty Mobius camera for a rear device.

I must say the customer service from Nextbase has been brilliant - I had a problem with one of the mounts and replacements were sent out same day - they also seem responsive to suggestions and requests regarding firmware features. Unfortunately their PC viewer software is pretty grim, AGAIN! All these companies seem to spend more effort making sure their "free" software will only read their own files rather than putting some effort it to making it efficient, usable and responsive! It was unusable on my old PC and even on the new i5 + SSD + 24Gb memory PC it is still the slowest program I have ever used.

Overall, I am unable to recommend Proofcam hardware based on my experience so I will not be looking at any of their offerings for a replacement.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still trying to contact Proofcam about the camera updates... Unfortunately they use their own unique format that we don't have access to so we can't even create the files for you.
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt,

There was talk in Jan 2016 (page 10 of this thread) of ProofCam releasing the data format but don't know if Natasha still works there.

John.
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get in touch with her if she's still there..

Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody does contact Proofcam, it might be an idea if you ask them if they'd be willing to give PocketGPSWorld the details on the format of the camera database so that PGPSW can issue the database directly for owners of Proofcam dashcams. Smile

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked for the data format a number of times!

I guess I'll only get an autoreply then...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for getting in touch with Proofcam.

If you are emailing because of a faulty camera part, please visit our website proofcam.com/collections/accessories to purchase all replacement parts.

If you are emailing because of Speed Camera Updates, we are currently working to fix this and an email will be sent to everyone on our mailing list to notify when the updates are ready. If you're not subscribed, please visit proofcam.com and enter your email into the pop-up bar that appears when you enter the site.

If your enquiry is regarding another issue, we will endeavour to respond to your email within 4 working days. Please note that we are currently unable to answer any telephone calls.

We appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Proofcam Limited

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: