Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Leics Cameras Switched Off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Leics Cameras Switched Off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: New Leics Cameras Switched Off Reply with quote

Leicester Mercury Today:
New Leicestershire speed cameras catch thousands - but are then turned off to save money
Average speed cameras switched on in parts of Leicestershire have now been turned off to save money despite catching thousand of drivers breaking the limit.
Leicestershire County Council turned on enforcement cameras on September 15 on Burton Road, Measham, Lutterworth Road in Walcote and the B4144 in Sharnford.
Between than and November 2 they caught 7,141 motorists who each received a £100 fine and three points on their licences.
However, after Leicestershire Live asked for totals about how many people had been caught after that period, it emerged County Hall turned the three cameras off on November 2.
The council has refused to say when they will be turned on again.
How locations for 7 new speed cameras in Leicestershire were chosen
A council spokesman said it was common practice to do this adding: “The cost of the cameras - as well as the enforcement requirements - means that for many authorities this is standard procedure, regardless of the cameras being fixed or average speed cameras.
“The objective of the trial is to act as a deterrent.
“We are facing a landscape of reduced resources, but we are committed to improving safety by tackling these speeding issues on our roads with the investment in this scheme – and it’s success so far emphasises that.”
The money from the fines went to the Government but the council has asked to be able to keep the first £500,000 to pay for the costs of installing a total of seven cameras around Leicestershire.
On November 2 cameras in on the A6 in Oadby and the A50 in Groby were turned on and by December 12 had caught 1,290 drivers.
A further camera in Beacon Road, Woodhouse Eaves, was due to be turned on at the end of December and another on Saxby Road, Freeby, is due to be activated in the coming weeks.
County Council cabinet member for environment and transport councillor Blake Pain said: “We are trialling the average speed enforcement across seven locations to address the concerns of residents and to make the roads as safe as they can be.
“Since the cameras have been switched on just over three million vehicles have passed sites in Sharnford, Walcote, Measham, Oadby and Groby, with 0.26 per cent of those vehicles issued with notices.
“The trial isn’t about catching and fining motorists for speeding – we want people to stick to the speed limits.
"We hope that these cameras, along with those being installed in Freeby and Woodhouse Eaves will stop people from speeding as it endangers the lives of other road users and pedestrians.
“If the trial is a success, we’d want to roll it out further, but it is dependent on HM Treasury changing their policy to allow fines to be retained to pay for the cameras.
“Once the cameras are paid for, further fines could then be directed to HM Treasury.”
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why the fines are not collected and used locally.

If they are costing Leicester to run them with no remuneration then I'm not surprised they are turning them off.

BUT DON'T ADVERTISE THEY ARE OFF.

If just one person now gets injured due to speeding Leicester press office are to blame.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
If just one person now gets injured due to speeding Leicester press office are to blame.
Try using that in a court of law K.
jeff-d
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Leics Cameras Switched Off Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:

On November 2 cameras in on the A6 in Oadby and the A50 in Groby were turned on and by December 12 had caught 1,290 drivers.

And all six of the A50 ones are *still* not on the database!
I submitted all 6 way back in October.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single camera on the A50 was switched off when the new Average speed cameras were switched on, apart from the red light camera at Lena Drive plus the usual Mobiles I cant place any more on the A50 in Leicestershire.
jeff-d
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are six average speed cameras on the A50 through Groby, three each way. The 1st camera on the NB side is missing.

Edit: Specs camera 198320 is clearly labelled as a middle camera on the database, camera 1 is before the bend near the gateway for Scania.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff-d wrote:
There are six average speed cameras on the A50 through Groby, three each way. The 1st camera on the NB side is missing.

Edit: Specs camera 198320 is clearly labelled as a middle camera on the database, camera 1 is before the bend near the gateway for Scania.

There were 3 submissions spread out over 400 or so meters - that's why the first camera wasn't in the database. Basically, nothing concrete enough to get an accurate location.

I have activated the camera now but it may be inaccurate in terms of position.

MaFt
jeff-d
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

I have activated the camera now but it may be inaccurate in terms of position.

My submissions were taken from the co-ordinates from my dash cam. I rather suspect that there was some lag.

The cameras have all been fitted to existing lamp posts.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a dashcam to get an idea of the rough location then use Streetview from Google Earth, not Google Maps, to try and be more accurate as GE has Lat Long of where your mouse pointer is.

I've noticed a fair few Specs submissions as being quite a way out. Normally due to 70mph and CamerAlert instant submissions.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff-d wrote:
.............My submissions were taken from the co-ordinates from my dash cam. I rather suspect that there was some lag.

The cameras have all been fitted to existing lamp posts.

If you do know the exact locations, either from memory or cam footage, it would assist MaFt and the verifiers and probably relieve your frustration also if you clicked on the Big Yellow Pointy Finger in the column on the right of this page, locate your submitted cameras, click on them, edit them to the correct location and put a memo to that effect in the note field.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cameras collected over £700,000 in fines I don't understand how the cost of operating the cameras is more than that?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem, as often reported, is that the operating costs are local but the fines go to central Gov.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood - thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: