Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Road Angel updating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Road Angel updating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: New Road Angel updating Reply with quote

How long does this take, and has anyone successfully updated their unit this weekend?
I bought & registered my New Road Angel last weekend, and have received an email from BlackSpot saying it's registered. I then ran the update software, which seemed to do it's stuff, until it reached 60% "Cleaning Up Locations". It now just sits there. Yesterday when i tried initially, it did that, then came up with a server error, and gave up, although this has stopped it from asking me to register the unit on power up. I am now concerned that this failed update has somehow corrupted the unit, as surely it shouldn't take this long to update? Sad
Is my unit faulty, or have BlackSpot got problems with their server? I have tried 3 different PCs now, broadband and dialup, and complete reinstalls, and all now fail at exactly 60% with the same apparent hang up of the software.
Any clues?
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i refreshed my road angel classic on thursday evening with a full download and had no problems at all.
i suggest you call blackspot direct on 01327 855586 and im sure they will help you....
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* that Blackspot will only register units on weekdays, so its possible they never got around to finishing your unit's registration? Might be worth hanging on until Monday.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my Classic RA was ok just after lunch today.

Not sure if the New RA holds the same database or goes through the same server.
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys - the unit was registered last weekend, and I got the email from Blackspot saying it has been registered on Monday, so I guess that side of it should be OK. Since my original post, i have also tried it on a Win 98 machine, and it still stops at exactly 60%, so I guess a call to Blackspot on Monday morning is in order Iit's now been on for the last 7 hours, still at 60%!).
Steve.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I updated my Classic Road Angel also on Saturday without any problems. I remember I used to have a similar problem with my Road Angel from time to time.

Are you running a serial to USB adapter by any chance ?
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: USB Reply with quote

All 4 machines (1 laptop, 3 desktops) have all got USB on board, and I disconnected all other devices as it mentions on Blackspot's site that occasionally other devices / hubs etc may cause problems. 2 of them are USB 2, the other 2 are USB 1, and I even tried installing the Win 98 software instead of the Win XP, but exactly the same occurred. What seems odd is that I get the same error from the software, regardless of which version I try, when I exit it - Run Time Error 91: Object variable or With block variable not set, and if I disconnect the unit after it has stopped at 60%, the software doesn't detect this, so it must have stopped talking to my Road Angel at this point.

The really bad news is that it now seems to have crashed my unit, as I drove to Heathrow and it missed several fixed cameras that have been there for a long time, then gave a fixed camera warning where there was not one (and hasn't been for many years), but this warning only got to 2 on the proximity bar graph, and stayed there for the next 2 miles on the M4, until I pulled the power plug. This then happened again later further up the M40, so I think my Road Angel's database may have got scrambled in this mess Sad

I tried calling Blackspot as per a previous post, but if course no reply at weekends, and i can;t get access to a PC that I can install software on during the week (I live away studying), so it will be tricky trying anything whilst on the phone, without being able to connect my unit. Oh well, I shall keep you posted!

Does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the New Road Angel - at least thay may give me the original database back!

Steve.
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Error 91. Sounds like an inexperienced VB programmer who hasn't set any error traps in their code.

Perhaps I should give them a ring and offer to update their software :o)

However, that does give a good clue. The program is failing to create an object. This could be bad code, or it could be that a DLL has failed to register.

It would be worth, when you get back, going through the installation CD (CAB file? I don't have an RA so don't know) and extracting every DLL, copying them to the RA update program installation directory, and running regsvr32 against them from the command prompt.
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: They sorted it... Reply with quote

It would appear that something in my original attempt at updating my unit (when i was having problems connecting to the server on Friday night) sent something astray, as today I received this:

> Subject: RE: Technical Support via website
> Can you attempt to update your Road Angel again for me and let us
> know if you have the same problem. We have amended the update type
> this end so it should go through fine.
> Regards
> Technical Support
> Blackspot Interactive Ltd

Once I tried the update again, it worked (well, 2nd time - 1st time it lost the connection to the server again, but at 78%!). As for the VB error etc, after the succesful update it did not appear on exiting the program. Confused

Thanks to all for their ideas, and thanks to Blackspot for sorting it swiftly once they were back at work. Moral: don't try to play with new software / hardware over a weekend when support is closed!

Steve.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, I have just sent my Road Angel II back. It was registered and updated without problem. However, it missed 5 mobile camera sites and 2 Truvelo cameras. I had plod sat in their nice van 100 yards from where I live, in a published location and Road Angel didnt utter a squeak, but it knew the primary school just up the road was there!
It's a well made device but its only as good as its database. I e-mailed Blackspot twice for advice and never received a reply, so back it went.
chrisJA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar chain of events when I first tried to update my unit just after Christmas. Got the e-mail, first update sat there forever, eventually disconnected. Tried the following day and it stopped at 78%, tried later the same day and all was fine. Seems the units ship with a very out of date data load and the first update is a lot of new info (or perhaps it was because I had asked for alerts around schools which was switched to 'No' as a default?!?). Since then it has updated very quickly and easily (although I wish they supported Macs so I could update at home rather than at work) and from my point of view the database seems to be bang upto date.
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RA 2 has a common problem with new units on updates, i work for a supllier of SCD's and we have had several back with updating problems, RA will fix the problem but make sure if you have this problem you TELEPHONE them so they can log how many times you ring them up to complain.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: