Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your .csv files called gat.csv etc. The .bmp must exactly match the csv apart from the extension.
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M8TJT. Yes they match exactly. I’ve been following npr’s process since he published it and it’s worked fine. It’s as if POI Loader now doesn’t recognise the file type for some reason.

I’ve reinstalled POI loader on my MAC and also tried it on a Windows PC. However I copied the extracted bmp files from my MAC to the PC. I might download the consolidated Pocket GPS. files direct to the PC and extract them there to see if that makes a difference. I can’t think why it would though.

Terry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schouten wrote:
I can’t think why it would though.
Nor can I, but who knows?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could This topic be your problem?

The Mac file system is different to Windows, and might be causing some confusion.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard I’ll take a look as per that thread. It has worked though, that’s the bit I can’t fathom. If not I’ll do the whole process on a PC later in the week and see what happens.
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this work but I don't see the connection between what I've done and the outcome.

I use a MAC and recently changed to LibreOffice from OpenOffice for Word. Excel, etc - basically an open -source MS Office lookalike.

What I hadn't noticed was that when opening the unzipped csv files to edit them they were being imported with a default number of decimal places, 2 instead of 5. This obviously explains why a number of cameras were off-location as well!

Having corrected that and recompiled the gpi file the icons now associate correctly displaying the right camera types in the icons. Not sure how that would affect things?

Thanks to those that offered help.

Terry
npr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you've fixed the problem.

For interest, I always convert to 4 decimal places now. Started doing this many months ago in the hope it would put less strain on the poor Merc hardware. Can't say if it's a improvement, but it's certainly not a detriment.

Did you know software version V11 was released at the beginning of this month. Can't see any changes, presumably there's some bug fixes - would be nice if they published a change log.
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@npr

Thanks - no I didn't know the s/w was up to v 11. I checked the SD card with the MB Download Manager only last week but it never offered an update. I think the whole Garmin/Mercedes/Tom Tom traffic is a poor set up. My dealer is clueless and refers me to Garmin for map updates who clearly don't provide them directly and bounce me back to MB.

I'm still on 2015/2016 maps and am reluctant to buy a later one from the well known auction site, even though they seem to work, because I'll lose the traffic "functionality"

Incidentally, using your method do you get the camera type e.g GAT in the red banner? I don't, yet it's in the third column in every line in the csv files in capitals and quotes.

Terry
npr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Schouten

Yes I've had a clueless dealer, I'm far from impressed with Merc's customer service both from their dealers and direct.

IIRC the traffic function only last 3 years so when it expires that may be the time for ebay ;)

I don't have anything in the 3rd column, just use 2 columns. I've seen no evidence that text in the 3rd column is used so I try and keep the POI file size as small as possible.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schouten wrote:
I use a MAC and recently changed to LibreOffice from OpenOffice for Word. Excel, etc - basically an open -source MS Office lookalike.

What I hadn't noticed was that when opening the unzipped csv files to edit them they were being imported with a default number of decimal places, 2 instead of 5. This obviously explains why a number of cameras were off-location as well!

npr wrote:
For interest, I always convert to 4 decimal places now. Started doing this many months ago in the hope it would put less strain on the poor Merc hardware. Can't say if it's a improvement, but it's certainly not a detriment.

Hi,

I use a Mac and Ms Office, I use Mac Excel to create master POI lists which are stored as Excel spreadsheet (.xlsx) files. I use the master lists to create POIs for both Garmin and TomTom formats. I currently have the need to produce only Garmin and TomTom.

When I wish to create .csv files for Garmin, I use Mac Excel to take the .xlsx file, remove the unnecessary columns (i.e. comments, etc) and save the file as a CSV file format, the one Mac Excel labels as "Comma Separated Values (.csv)".

I also store all coordinates with 6 decimal places.

Admittedly I don't use the Mercedes system, I have a Garmin 770 Camper LMT-D and I use Mac POI loader to convert the .csv files into GPI files.

I know nothing about Chinese characters, however I do have a need to use diacritical marks (also referred to as diacritics) and they are the accent marks on alphabetical characters. The most common accents are the acute (é), grave (è), circumflex (â, î or ô), tilde (ñ), umlaut and dieresis (ü or ï – the same symbol is used for two different purposes), and cedilla (ç).

I use the diacritical marks in the master list. Garmin can't use diacritical marks very well, if you have a POI with "café" in the title and type searched for "cafe" the Garmin won't find it. If you change your language keyboard and then search for "café" the Garmin will find your intended search.

My above method removes the diacritical marks for the Garmin so "café" becomes "cafe".

Don't know if this is of any help but it works for my system and it took me a long time to get Mac Excel to produce the right file format for producing Garmin and TomTom POI files.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Doug123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schouten wrote:
I've been successfully using the method suggested by npr on page 5 of this thread for some time until recently. Everything has worked fine until the last couple of times. The camera icons no longer display correctly, I just get a white box similar to the "built in" icons for fuel or food etc, with a magenta block in one corner.

Hi, I'm a little bit late to this so you might already have an answer to this, the reason for the white box with the purple square in the corner is because the size of your .bmp file is too large. I didn't like the included files as they showed too small so I experimented with new ones, at first I had the size too large (100px x 100px) and the icon showed exactly as you described, by gradually reducing the size I finally got it to show correctly.

It can be a bit temperamental though, the last time I updated 2 of my files were ok but the third (same size) wouldn't show and I had to reduce it by a few px.

I find that usually making the .bmp 50x65 works, although for one I had to have it 50x63. If you make it this uneven size then you can add a background colour and it covers the whole icon just like the factory installed versions.
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Privateer @Doug123

Thanks both for your replies. All seems ok the moment, I was getting the icon problem with 25x25 bmp files, but since importing the csv's with 4 decimal places and using 44x44 size icon files all seems well.

I've no idea why but at least it's now working again, albeit with hit and miss "bongs!"

I'm sure the Mercedes Audio 20 system is short on memory and this may well be part of the varied problems that occur randomly.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Schouten,

On the size of icons, I tend to use 24x24 which is the Size TomTom used to use before they stopped showing icons on their SatNav products.

I think think that the Garmin builtin icons are about 62x62. I’ve created icons of that size and they work well, if not a little large, on my Garmin 770. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Doug123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back again to the Chinese writing, does anyone have a problem with the latest software update? I updated a couple of weeks ago and deleted the 6 font files identified earlier in this thread, now mostly the banners don’t show at all, just the boing but when they do show it’s still with the Chinese writing.
obadmus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pocketnavigation.de/pois/garmin-map-pilot-mercedes-blitzer/
try open in google chrome so you can get it translated.
problem solved....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: