Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Coverting multiple POI's from .vcf to .csv or .gpx.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Coverting multiple POI's from .vcf to .csv or .gpx.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
Now, on the satnav, when I go to Where to - Categories - Custom POIs,
But it appears that the OP does not have the 'Custom POIs' 'folder' visible on his system.On my DriveSmart 61, the 'path' is different; 'Where to - Custom POIs'. 'Where to - Categories' takes me to the built in POIs.

But what is interesting is that on my Garmin based Honda satnav system, although I have the PGPSW cameras on my system and they show on the map when I select 'Map Layers' ON (No alerts though).
If I 'Restore' the system I see two sets of camera icons (one from layers and one from the alert system) and get spoken warnings on approach to the cams. The only problem is that Restoring the system resets all other settings etc to default. But I cannot 'find' the cams in the Menu system at all.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting or trying to put cameras on OEM systems has always seemed to be hit and miss. Mainly because of the advance warning requirement.

In this instance it's normal 'navigate to' POi's but there seems to be a block of some kind.

On the face of it this Kenwood unit won't read any SD cards.

Shame that couldn't have been realised first.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to know that at some point I will be able to have more than one Custom POI listing. I will worry about that when I ever get this to work Exclamation I will format my cards in FAT32 and hope that is right.

Okay, when I select the Satnav and the front screen shows and I select Where to?
There are 6 pre-set options:
Go Home, Address, Restaurants, Petrol Stations, Shopping and Personalise.
On the right side of the screen are three more selection screens:
Categories
Favourites
History.
Nothing below History.

There is no 'Where to - Custom POIs' or 'Where to- categories - Custom POIs' or 'Where to - categories - Bowls Clubs' or anything that would give an indication that there were any additional POIs anywhere. I suppose it's in what could be called Original Factory Default Settings.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the manual and using my Garmin knowledge, yes you can have multiple POI's.

What you do is create a Windows Folder with a sub folder for each category.
In these sub folders goes things like your Bowls clubs, say McDonalds, Garden Centres, and so on.

When POILoader is run it picks up all those individual folders and puts them all into the POI.GPI

The important bit here, according to the manual, is that the filename is "POI.GPI" which is controlled by you in POILoader.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pendrive for my Honda/Garmin satnav the folders are Garmin\Poi and in that there are three files:

Cameras.gpi 56,923 KB (daterd 24/02)
D6895020A.gpi 395 KB (dated 16/01)
UKIrelandCyclops safetycam.gpi 736 KB (dated 20/12

The bottom and top ones are pretty obvious, and I assume the the middle one is the 'build in' POIs, as they were updated to remove my local Honda dealer that had closed at the same time as my maps were updated.

There are several other folders in the Garmin folder along with a couple of very big files which I assume are the maps.
There is no file named Poi.gpi on the drive.
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy's.
Just received the new SD card extension cable, tested it and no problem, waggled it, shook it, worked fine on a music SD Card.

Now to make the appointment with the dealer.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need the dealer ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cos they are the ones who fitted the Kenwood, took them over 2 hours to do so. They then removed it when I advised them that as they had fitted it in the center column and so I was unable to access the SD card slot to add my POI's, it had to come out.
I got an extension lead which they used when they removed the unit, added the lead and reinstalled the Kenwood and rebuilt the center console.
Only to find out later there was no connection between the extension lead socket and the Kenwood.

Then came this thread.

I now have a new cable that I know works as an extension cable.

The dealer has agreed to doing the job a third time, remove the center console and Kenwood add the cable reinstall the Kenwood and center console.

It's their installation so it's down the them to get it right.

That's why I need the dealer. If it takes them over 2 hours, it would probably take me a week!
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.
Took the car to the dealers this afternoon, together with my laptop & 4 SD cards, 3 with my POI's and one music to test the cables (just in case).
There seemed to be two problems, one was the cable (One from Ebay and a different one from Amazon). The first one tried and first installed was the one from Ebay, upon removal from the car we found the cable was kinked in about 3 places and as the cable is rather thin and flimsy might account for it not working.
They then attached the second cable, this worked, to an extent. They reinstalled the unit and the new cable and found it no longer worked. Out it came again, worked then stopped working (No kinks this time) so something still not right. The SD card was also a bit hit and miss when being seated, sometimes it did not 'Click in' as one would expect, however a strip or two of masking tape seemed to help it behave as it should.

Fingers crossed we have no sorted the problem, the unit is now behind the center console passenger side forward extension, where the lower edge goes under the dash. This side extension is held in place with a screw to the very front, however there is enough 'give' in this extension to be able to pull it away from the tunnel and a gap between the console side and the tunnel is just large enough to place the unit, as luck would have it the rear mounting lug of the unit tucks in nicely behind the carpet and seems to hold it securely.
So to access the SD card, remove one screw, pull trim away gently, slid hand up and behind trim and lift unit slightly up and away then ease it down.

I will check the clearance with torch and mirror to make sure the unit does not wobble and add some sort of protection, foam or similar.

The advice and file information actioned by M8TJT was spot on, the card used was formatted to FAT32.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: