Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbridgeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garmin system looks for anything in the speedcam file that will tell it if the data is speed camera , or other data. You need to ensure that the description doesn't have anything like GATSO or SPECS or REDLIGHT in it. Also remove the @XX. for this to work (ie just the icons displayed with no sound). If you want the sound (but no icons) then look at the other parts of the same thread.
pbridgeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received a reply from Daimler Germany regarding the garmin map pilot speed camera fiasco which basically says they're not interested in doing anything about sorting out the problem. Very disappointing. Not sure where to go from here - apart from a mass write in to Daimler from everyone who wants this sorted out. Any views ??
HarryH321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone made any progress with this recently? Such as renaming the language files and trying to get the English in place of the Chinese?

Thanks
Harry
Scottief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted the 3 font files as per previous versions and on the various threads has no effect on the Chinese writing on V8. Read through the German website comments up to date and it's not just me that has the problem as it appears on V8 removing the 3 files has no effect so Chinese writing it is for now. At least I'm getting the banner and the warning 'bong' though!
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After upgrading to V8 yesterday I like everyone else had the return of the Chinese (or other Eastern fonts) in the camera bar. After two afternoons of trial and error I've managed to get rid of them by deleting these 3 additional font files

006-D4436-02.bin
006-D4436-03.bin
006-D4436-06.bin

as well as the original ones we had to delete i.e.

006-D0952-01.bin
006-D0952-02.bin
006-D0952-03.bin

It seems to make no difference to anything else so far but I've only tried it on the simulated route settings and not on an actual "live route"

The display now shows the camera icon on the extreme left and the distance on the extreme right. Bongs are intermittent as ever.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Scottief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Terry, will test later.

Thank-you.
Scottief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested today on the road and I can confirm no Chinese writing woo hoo. Thanks Terry, great job.
Scottief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested today on the road and I can confirm no Chinese writing woo hoo. Thanks Terry, great job.
pbridgeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Garmin Map Pilot chinese banner etc. Reply with quote

Hi,

I now have version 8 of the Garmin Map pilot software and have had some success in displaying the icons and getting the warning bong at the same time. It occurred to me to change the location data of the speedcams slightly, but keep the icon positions where they should be, rather than the other way round as I have tried before.

Ive used the speedcam files and icons to just produce information POIs by using names and text which will not make POI Loader think they are speedcam files. ie I ended up with 3 icon files GAT, RED and SPEC and 3 POI data files GAT, RED and SPEC. When compiled in POI Loader this gives icons at the correct positions on the screen. Try this first to make sure you get the icons showing. They will only show in the proximity of the cursor location and for me at a max. map scale of 0.2 miles. It also seems to take a little while for them to show, almost like they were being processed by the nav system.

Then shift the gps position of the speedcams in the data files by using the macro earlier in this thread and name them GATSO, REDLIGHT and SPECS. Put all 9 of these files in the same directory and compile them with POI Loader. (There are no icon files associated with the speedcam data files-please don't create any!).

I use the 'Distance from' setting for the 3 speedcam files and didn't change any default for the others. I use my.gpi for the resulting name as that is the name shown inside the compiled file. I dont know if it makes any difference.

Copy the resultant file to the POI directory on the SD card and away you go. Have a bit of patience with the system showing icons nearby and use the built in gps simulator to test in other areas. It works for me - it may not work for you but good luck. Unfortunately you have to have the other POIs on for this to work but no much you can do about that.
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ pbridgeman. That's good work thank you, presumably you need to do this each time the database is updated as well? I'm using a MAC with Open Office Calc, the macro structure looks identical but I can't get it to run, it fails in the last module. so I'll need to find another way.

However, I now have another Nav display problem, after deleting the additional font files in my previous post the camera icons that move to the side of the map are now grey as are the the Garmin traffic alert icons, which should be colour coded according to the traffic status. I can't understand why that should be.

Additionally the Nav takes considerably longer to initialise on vehicle start up. Whether this is due to the V8 update or something else I don't know. I've temporarily put everything back to normal i.e removed the .gpi file and replaced the fonts and will see what happens regarding traffic on my next trip.

I'm wondering if those font files are just for the EULA which is in a number of languages, in which case they shouldn't impact on the POI files. Who knows!!

Terry
pbridgeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@schuten Have you tried the macro with the column headers removed from the csv files. I found it wouldn't run with those in place. Yes, you have to redo the shift each time. I'm trying to write a powershell script to do it all, but starting from scratch on that so a long job. Doing it manually doesn't take long if you use the manual method I posted in this thread before the macro thread.

Yes, I assumed the grey icons were from changing to version 8 as I cant see why the font files would affect them.

I've done a lot of testing over the weekend. Because the garmin system has the peculiarity of not necessarily warning you of speedcams or showing icons depending on your speed I'm not certain its working in all cases, but I think a shift of 20 metres instead of 10 has actually improved matters. If I shift more than 30 metres I lose the audible warning on some cams, presumably because the shift sometimes takes the camera too far off the road.

I'm now testing using the zoned camera files and icons for the pics and the consolidated files for the placement - that works well too with the pocketgpsworld 44x44 pixel higher def. icons to match the built in ones.

Now Ive left it alone for a day or so it seems to be working better - don't know why but icons are showing up at 0.5 mile scale where they haven't before - very strange !!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be pretty simple to write a macro in Excel if you have it.
Let me know.
pbridgeman wrote:
don't know why but icons are showing up at 0.5 mile scale where they haven't before !!
Garmin does weird things like that as well.
npr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a slightly different method and haven't found the need to reposition the cameras.

Using the consolidated files, I prepared one set of file with all the Garmin key words removed from the file name. Using the spreadsheet find and replace feature I deleted the speed info (@70 etc) and modified Garmin keywords in column 3.

eg:
Load GAT.csv and used the following find and replace:

Find: GATSO*@*"
Replace: GAT"

Find: TRUVELO*@*"

Find: MONITRON*@*"

Find: REDSPEED*@*"

Repeat with MOB.csv
Find: MOBILE*@*"
Replace: MOB"

Repeat with PMOB.csv
Find: pMOBILE*"
Replace: PMOB"

Repeat with RED.csv
Find: REDLIGHT*"
Replace RED"

Repeat with SPC.csv
Find: SPECS*"
Replace: SPE"
FIND: tSPE*"
Replace: SPE"

I also copied the consolidated 44x44 icon files to the same folder giving them the same file names. eg: gat.csv and gat.bmp etc.

Using Garmin POILoader I select "computer" and point it to the fold with the above files.
I choose the following name for the file "ICONS", feet/MPH and express mode.
This produced a ICONS.gpi file, size 821KB.

I then copied the above csv files to a second folder and added a 20MPH speed to the file name (no icon files in this folder). eg file names: gat_20.csv, mob_20.csv etc

I ran Garmin POILoader using the same settings as above but with the output file name "ALERTS".

This produced a ALERTS.gpi file, size 977KB.

Been running this for 3 days and so far it's behaved perfectly, speed camera icons appear as soon as the position enters the screen (at normal driving zoom levels), and there's a bleep at about 30 seconds and again at about 10 seconds before a camera.

So far so good Smile

One thing I found which stopped icons showing was if you have anything in the 4the column of the csv spreadsheet file then icons don't show. This can be a issue with the first and last line of each file if the spreadsheet separator options allow anything other than "Comma".

Yes, I've notice the side icon is now grey (was it red before?) -- assumed it's due to the new software.

The only problem I have, is it appears to alert for cameras on both sides of the road. Is this normal or can it be made alert of cameras only on your side?

If the Merc SatNav is not intelligent enough to understand the direction then column 3 can be deleted and save all the find and replace faff.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you've done is why Nemesis got me to add a text replace function in the CSV Converter.

He found that the warning banner text had to be capital alpha characters only.

etc
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pbridgeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi npr I've not been able to get the any icons to display if I don't use the shift method.
Which version of the Garmin software are you using to do that?

For the icons placement you only need the two longitude and latitude columns in the file so you can just delete the 3rd (and 4th?) columns.

I don't think the software knows which way the camera is pointing nad even if it said it did, I'm not sure I would trust it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: