Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - average speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

average speed cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: average speed cameras Reply with quote

im guessing this question might have been asked before but ive searched 6 pages and can find anything so will ask here.

i do a journey down the M3 to bournmouth once or twice a year and im sure my last one a couple of weeks ago there was way more variable speed cameras on the 18 miles of roadworks compared to last year.

the question is as these seem to be popping up everywhere lately is there any way to work out which is the first camera so point A and which is the last camera point B where it measures your average speed between A and B and then measures from C and D
or does it work that wherever you join the motorway the first camera you pass registers you to the last camera at the roadworks.
would be great if the camera allerts with voice prompts had something like variable speed 50 start and variable speed 50 end.

also noticed quite a few overhead cameras popping up along the north circular road that are not yellow. do these cameras work in the same way.
thanks

Last edited by MrDJ on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you mean AVERAGE speed cameras?

They calculate your average speed between any two cameras, Start and End markers are only worth having for the End so that you know you're leaving the monitored area.

PGPSW CamerAlert running on iPhone or smartphone handle this rather impressively - it treats ALL cameras as Start (except the End camera). So it starts calculating your average as soon as you enter the zone and pass a camera. It restarts calculating at the next intermediate camera so that if you're below the limit for the first two cameras, but speed up between the next ones, your previous lower speed will be discarded. The last camera is treated as End and stops the calculating.

So..... CamerAlert on iPhone/Smartphone meets your needs perfectly. It starts calculating at the first camera you pass, irrespective of where you join. It announces "Average speed camera, fifty miles per hour" AND displays your speed and average speed in green when they are under the limit, in red when you exceed it. It repeats the announcement and recalculates for each subsequent camera The final camera is not announced and the average speed display is terminated. The database Administrator also marks up the exit roads to close the calculation and display if you turn off before the end.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras on the North Circular A406 are a newer type, very small and they only have a very small area painted yellow, I'm not surprised you haven't noticed. It's not actually a legal requirement to have cameras painted yellow, just a recommendation to satisfy the statement that cameras are there to make you slow down and they are not "concealed ". So grumble if you wish but the most you can do about "secret" "sneaky" "not-yellow" cameras is probably to write to an MP to see if he or she will harass someone into painting them.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, the North Circular cameras I've been out to are all yellow Siemens Safezone ones. They are quite small and CCTV size.

There are a number of similar size CCTV cameras but they are battleship grey and easily distinguished.

This is what the North Circular average speed cameras look like:

and they are often high up, not low down like normal fixed cameras.

Like this:

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: variable speed cameras Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
is there any way to work out which is the first camera so point A and which is the last camera point B where it measures your average speed between A and B and then measures from C and D
A series of average speed cams (SPECS) don't work like that. They measure A to B, B to C, C to D etc. This is likely to be the case for the 50 MPH SPECS cams on the A3 south of the M25 which is the set of cams that I assume you are talking about.
Variable speed cameras are not generally SPECS, bit are often gantry mounted Gatso type on a Mway, frequently behind the variable speed limit illuminated sign.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH! what a numpty i am.
as always DennisN you are on the ball as usual and i did mean Average. cheers fella. ive edited my header.

Kremmen
they look totally different to the ones ive seen near ikea at neasden on the A406
im guessing as im passing i cant see the yellow camera on the other side of the pole. will take a closer look next time.

M8TJT
thanks for that info. didnt know they worked like that.

as always thanks guys for the great advice.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, if they ain't yellow, they ain't speedcams because they look very similar to cctv, and the number of cctv cams reported as speedcams has to be seen to be believed.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOWEVER, they are in the CamerAlert database, for example the one at the bottom of M1 turnoff. If I remember rightly, it's not yellow and others aren't too. And they are very hard to spot from the wrong side of the post.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North Circular is a car park waiting to happen and a getaway route in the Stonebridge Park area bandit country, so there are a lot of CCTV cams ready and waiting to spot issues.

I've got the NC section from Hanger Lane to the M1 saved on dashcam footage and from what I can see that section is totally covered by the Siemens cams, as pictured, although the pictures I posted are from the A316.

In the main they are banks of cameras on a single pole gantry but at other places there is just a single camera.

What you're looking for with the latest Siemens cams is the yellow camera itself, plus, the following bank of 'lights' as:

This is one of the more often missed examples from the North Circ:

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the one mate in your first picture.
thinking that google maps wouldnt have been updated since these cameras were installed i didnt check earlier.
google map street view sure comes in handy.

so you are all correct, ive totally missed the yellow cameras before but the are there.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may already know this, but StreetView gives the date that the image was taken in the bottom right hand corner. Useful for reference.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Streetview also shows a dated bar thingy at top left, with little blobs showing when different photos were taken. You slide the big blob along the little blobs to see the photos.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that StreetView overlay. I've seen some with the date as a watermark.

Be careful with Streetview dates.

Last year my road was updated by Streetview and is logged as September 16.

However, and I know this is sad, but I know for a fact that the Google car took the footage in May.
I know this because in the footage I'm outside waahing the car, and, the important bit, the bin bags are out, which means it had to be a Friday morning. The only Friday I washed the car, was in May.

I'm guessing the date is when they put it up.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why mine is 2008. I think it's disgusting that they only update the maps when you wash your vehicle.

The overlay is not the complete thing, just the line with the little clock thing and date. Clicking on the little clock thing gives the temperature guage thing with little date blobs. Presumably only when there are earlier dates to show. The screenshot above is the A406 just after starting from Hangar lane junction - try it for yourself.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably a PC thing or does this work on Android.

One way to find out ........
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: