Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera warnings very erratic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera warnings very erratic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is identical apart from the device number.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Now I have to try testing again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
fwoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm sorry to say mines seem to be working ok now, I have downloaded the cameras and put them in the satnav unzipped as per instructions that's the first time I've done this I have always unzipped them first as with most files you download for your computer. The My Drive connect used to ask me "did I want to overwrite the old files" now it doesn't it just loads them straight away so my way of thinking is "My Drive" has had a lot of updates and I think the updates have fixed this that's IMO.
I haven't tried the satnav on a long run yet but I will be back with the results. Many thanks everyone
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you 'sorry to say' it's working properly. I would have thought that you would have been 'glad to say'. Very Happy
fwoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just there seems to be a lot of other people have the same or similar problems as I have encountered, mine seems to be working now and there's are not.
All I can suggest that make sure you have the up to date My Drive Connect and don't unzip the files when you down load them tell My Drive what folder they are in and it will load them onto your sat nav.
I've just had a thought My Drive does not ask if I want to overwrite the old files , is there a way I can find out if it is over writing the old files?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just believe that it does.
Emaiche
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue on my son's 1005 - while my own is working without the issue.
Per a previous post on the forums, I've performed the device reset [hold power button down through the drumroll and into the White text on Black screen, then do 3 quick presses on power button to get first a TomTom logo followed by screen with a turning cog in the middle...] After connecting to TomTom MyDrive Connect it changes to a graphic of the TomTom connecting to MyDrive on the computer, and indicates it's restoring the device. That bit was very quick - less than 10 seconds from saying it's starting). NB: Afterwards your Favourites, Recent Destinations etc all remain intact.

I've taken off and reapplied the Speed Camera .ov2s as well as the .bmps, .oggs (from way back) and subsequently used the latest .ogg files.
On one of my multiple attempts to understand what was happening I reset the 1005 to Factory Settings, then set everything up from scratch again -.

The only thing I have found that differs between my son's 1005 and my own - and which isn't shown in the "About Device" page that the 1005 gives - is that I paid to renew my Live Services last year because I travel much further afield than he does, wheras he didn't as he didn't feel he used it enough to justify the cost [it's a pound a week - which to me is a fair price for anything on my anything up to 1000 miles in a week work travels].

As far as we can make out, the issue started at about the same time that his Live subscription ended. It's hard to say exactly when it started as he only periodically updates the Speed Cameras and Maps, so he wasn't clear exactly when he actually noticed it had stopped alerting to every speed camera location.

Having performed the reset then reinstate of the PGPSW data on his 1005 and then removing, readding and setting the POIs to alert again, it seemed to be working for all Cameras for several journeys in "Demo" mode on the device.

I swapped TomToms for my work journey this week (90 miles there, 40 miles to hotels, different route for the 85 mile journey back) but when I put his 1005 in the car, it asked to Share Information which I allowed, then it asked for the account name, which I entered and after which the Live Services tab appeared for my journey.
Having started driving I found the same issue that this thread started with - the cameras show up without any problem on the SatNav, but the audio alerts don't trigger either at all, or on two occasions, after I had passed the second of 2 sites that were close together, at which point it audio alerted after I had passed the second.

Currently thinking I could pay to enable his Live Services again, but TBH given the new penalties that are upcoming, I'm more inclined to identify a new TomTom model that does work with the Speed Camera Database and put the money into that, just in case paying for Live Services doesn't mitigate it and we're out £50 to prove/disprove a theory...

My thanks to Alfygiz for the info in his thread on PGPSW Forums here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=97197&highlight=1005+reset
which is for this same issue starting late last year and which put me on the right path for the 1005 reset process.
Alfygiz also mentions the potential connection to the Live subscription service from TT being a possible cause - and his conclusions do indicate he disabled Information Sharing as he wasn't using Live Servies any more, following which it appears he's had no further issues.

So I've reset the 1005 with the issue and declined to share information with TomTom, so hoping I'll get some further insight after this weekend when I'll again use it for work.

EDIT: Just re-read and my description makes it sound like no alerts are being given, which is not the case.
About 50% of them do give audio alerts at several speeds, BUT some for the same speeds as others that don't (eg: some 50mph's did and others didn't.) I did increase the Mobile site distances in line with the PGPSW recommendations - which in some instances nearly doubled their previous settings, so I'm not clear whether any roads that curve with sites at the increased distances mean the camera site is not within the "sweep" that the TomTom makes at the warning distance, but then falls in as you turn towards it, at which point the alert is delayed (not given?). I would very much doubt it or else there would be other comment for other devices or TomTom models too, but I've not discounted anything as yet.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your username should be Tolstoy. Very Happy
Emaiche wrote:
II'm more inclined to identify a new TomTom model that does work with the Speed Camera Database .
You're out of luck there as well. None of the latest ones do. Confused
Can you précis your post to concisely tell us what exactly it does/doesn't do pleas?
Emaiche
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M8TJT - I've been a longtime TomTom customer, but not being able to use PGPSW alerting is a deal breaker for me - I do too many miles on fast roads to not have it as a backstop.

OK - not the precis you asked for, but to try and break it into components:

I hadn't spotted this thread until today, so specific speeds not being alerted audibly I can't comment on other than for me, some 50mph sites did alert and some didn't. My son advises he's had some 40mph ones not alerting.

We have two TomTom GO 1005 [Europe] devices with the same specification, one is exhibiting the behaviour this thread is exploring, and the other is not.
Both are updated on the same computer using the same TomTom software - only the account logins for the devices differ. Neither has snagged during updates.
Both get the same PGPSW files uploaded, both have the latest Maps and TomTom updates on them. Both have worked fine - including PGPSW functionality - for the just over 3 years we have owned them.

The only difference between the two 1005s is that the one with the issue has NOT got an active Live Services (Traffic etc) account as its 3 year free period has expired while the working one was renewed and has not experienced the problem. The one that has the issue appeared to start exhibiting the fault around the time that its Live Services account expired.

I reset the problematic one via "My Account" on the device and selected "Information Sharing disabled" and an attempt earlier this week seemed to work OK for a "Route Demo" and correctly showed and audibly alerted for the cameras on a fast A-Road / motorway route.

A real run in the car afterwards to test this had the device requesting "Information Sharing" to be enabled which I did thinking it was needed, following which it exhibited the none audio alerting behaviour for some 50mph sites on the mostly fast A road and Motorway trip I made, I don't have many low speed sites on my routes.

I have to work through this weekend, so have again set "Information Sharing disabled" on that 1005 and will leave it disabled through the trips I'll make and see if this has changed anything.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Can you précis your post to concisely tell us what exactly it does/doesn't do pleas?

Some cameras warn. Some cameras don't. One day camera A warns and B doesn't. Another day camera A doesn't warn and B does. 30mph cameras display but don't warn, then an hour or two into the day, one will warn. Not just 30mph, any speed. Not just fixed, any type. It really does somewhat mimic the old problem of years ago, when too many POIs were loaded and the TT would decide for itself (illogically) what to do with them.

I have put mine back in its box because I simply can't be a-ed to bother any more (partly because the reason I put it away six months ago was that the screen doesn't accurately respond to my touch and I left it far too long to take it back under warranty). I've given it a decent trial (couple of thousand miles on fast and slow roads) after reloading, but with spasmodic, intermittent, unreproducable results.

Fortunately I use iPhone CamerAlert which works fine.

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Fortunately I use iPhone CamerAlert which works fine.

I think that that might be the answer for a lot of people with PNDs like the 1005. If you have loaded the PGPSW cameras you need a reliable alert and it looks like the 1005 isn't reliable for some people.

For those of your with either an iPhone or Android smart phone you will be able to download the CamerAlert app, and as long as you have a current subscription, sign in with your PGPSW userid and password to get the benefits.

If you don't have a smart phone then pop into your local supermarket and look at the phone section. You should be able to pickup an android phone that runs CamerAlert well enough, for a reasonable price. As long as the phone has GPS and WiFi you can update CamerAlert via WiFi and run it in list not map mode and you don't have to worry about data charges.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nibor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it has been mentioned, I to have not renewed my live services and when it expired in January which is also consistent with the data base being erratic. Just a thought, what would happen if the sim card is removed?
fwoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all I'm back again, I thought I had fixed mine but after coming back from a short break and lots of Speed Cameras its still not working. Some cameras work that didn't work the last time and the ones that didn't work now do.
I have life time maps on my TomTom and its every time there's a map update the cameras change i.e. some work some don't I put the map update on and different cameras work. I only subscribe to the cameras from this site not the TomTom ones, I have noticed as well that some of the cameras are not in the correct place on my map but slightly off position. I have loaded Speed cameras on my built in car sat nav from this site and they are so accurate to with in a few yards. So my conspiracy theory is if you don't subscribe to Tom Toms speed cameras and use a third party Poi they just do something with the map updates to throw the speed cameras off or not allow them to work. I have my hard hat on and waiting to be shot down.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get any shots from my direction. I too think TT have done some skulduggery.

fwoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok still no further forward with this problem Stop it! So after 10 years its goodbye TomTom Hello Garmin. Many thanks for the help everyone

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: