Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....but it seems that the Carminats all have 2Gb or more so WILL be dumped in the next batch:-
"IA" Carminat TomTom + TomTom SD 4GB, TomTom HOME
"IB" Carminat LIVE, + SD 8GB, TomTom HOME / Carminat Z.E. LIVE + SD 4GB, TomTom HOME
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
try h**ps://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22600 with the tt back in as my previous link somehow/sometimes gets redirected

PS it's easy to check if your device is still covered by connecting it to TTHome

I was just wondering were you were finding information that indicated they had changed or amended the list of discontinued devices?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A few more old device models have been added to the list. For the full list...." taken from my previous quote by Mikko
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if TomTom would release a definitive end-of-life list (like Microsoft) rather than just deciding to pull the plug on devices with very little warning to users. I think it’s very unfair way to treat their customers. I guess we’ll now be waiting month by month to see if TomTom has decide that our older device has had it’s day and should be retired Sad
I’m just surprised that they haven’t just decided that all Navcore 7 devices are to be retired Confused
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the "Operate My Device" function in TomTom Home for “retired” devices I consider very spiteful as there’s no reason for TomTom to have done this.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been having a fiddle with TomTom Home because I'm ...
If you install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and create a empty text file called v2_9_94_450_win.exe in the Updates folder in your TomTom profile you can get TomTom Home running like it used to Very Happy
It will even allow you to buy maps for your "expired" device Shocked
when you run TomTom home you will get a window saying "A new version of TomTom Home is available... blah... blah... blah... just click continue.
You'll now get an error box about blah... blah... blah... is not a valid Win32 application, leave this window up and you'll now be able to click on the TomTom Home app and use it as normal.
It's a crappy work around but it works Razz
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now had the email of doom about the 530. If I decide to replace my PND I think an iPad mini with a nav app may be a better investment.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and create a empty text file called v2_9_94_450_win.exe in the Updates folder in your TomTom profile you can get TomTom Home running like it used to Very Happy
when you run TomTom home you will get a window saying "A new version of TomTom Home is available... blah... blah... blah... just click continue.
You'll now get an error box about blah... blah... blah... is not a valid Win32 application, leave this window up and you'll now be able to click on the TomTom Home app and use it as normal.
It's a crappy work around but it works"

Nice idea tweaking TTHome which we can already do, BUT, that will never allow you to buy maps for end-of-life devices for one simple reason, it asks you (needs you) to input the first 2 letters of your serial number before purchase and THAT will knock you back!

I would love to be proved wrong with this but sadly, I don't think so this time Wink
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one of the reasons is that the maps are getting larger so will no longer fit onto my device. I only have GB and 980 is in fact smaller than 965 Embarassed

The big problem for us is that the money is in developing installed systems, personal device sales have been in decline for a while now, so off a few old PND owners is unlikely to have much effect on their income.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
"If you install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and create a empty text file called v2_9_94_450_win.exe in the Updates folder in your TomTom profile you can get TomTom Home running like it used to Very Happy
It's a crappy work around but it works"

Nice idea tweaking TTHome which we can already do, BUT, that will never allow you to buy maps for end-of-life devices for one simple reason, it asks you (needs you) to input the first 2 letters of your serial number before purchase and THAT will knock you back!

I would love to be proved wrong with this but sadly, I don't think so this time Wink

I probably right... it was just a bit of fun so I could use "Operate My GO" feature on my 710 as my 910 is still supported Very Happy
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest line of excuses from them:-

I do understand your disappointment and this is not a decision we've taken lightly. Let me try and explain the rationale behind the decision a bit more.

With the increase in technology and range of products we have created, the company has made an executive decision to stop supporting products that will no longer run on our newest software. This has been a long and arduous undertaking that involved the weighing of many pros and cons. In the end, the decision was made to stop supporting some of our much older devices in order to allow our company to grow. We will respect the life of your device regarding any existing subscriptions.

In regards to purchasing maps and services, the benefit of many of our new products is that they come with lifetime map updates for Europe, and some for the world. Many also come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates. In this way, you would not have to continually purchase those services year after year.

There are a number of devices which cannot use memory cards or are limited to the size of the memory card that they can use. Map files are growing in size very rapidly. It is to the point where they simply will not fit for a large number of devices. We chose to make the decision to continue to improve the quality of our maps, which involves the devices requiring more internal memory than some of our older devices can accommodate.

We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused, but we do greatly value your business and have therefore created a special offer on several of our new devices, specifically for customers affected by this End of Life decision.

....so it really is just a matter of (I reckon a very short period of) time before the rest of the NAV2's are pensioned off as they obviously also run the "old" navcores!
arfurdent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effectively they are saying screw you if you do not buy a new Tomtom
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arfurdent wrote:
effectively they are saying screw you if you do not buy a new Tomtom

like Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are ending maps for old devices because the devices can no longer support the bigger and better maps.

How does that fit with my device, GO520 with very little memory, for which they have confirmed in writing to me
Quote:
I can also confirm from your account that your purchased map updates subscription is active until 19/5/2019, which means you will be able to update maps until this date.
I just wish I had thought of buying TWO 1.5 years updates. I wonder if they really WILL supply me with new maps until May 2019 (and what recourse I will have if they don't).

I wonder how long it will take them to retrieve the older postcodes that they have dropped in the last year - e.g. CF10 4GA should be Teigr Way, not Adam Street in Cardiff - it WAS Teigr Way in map v955. Talk about dumbing down - next thing they'll be doing is having just a four digit postcode, take you to the nearest town and invite you to drive round a bit!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest maps from tomtom have been reduced in size according to them to make them fit better on different devices...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: