Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: RAC 05 GPS-Enabled DashCam with Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: RAC 05 GPS-Enabled DashCam with Speed Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that clip works for me. i cant read a reg plate of a car coming at me at night with me own eyes. i wouldnt expect a dash cam to be able to. it does capture the car in front with exceptional clarity imho.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question I have to ask is this: why would you want to know the registration of every car travelling the other way?

The only reason I can see that you would need a registration was if they crashed into you - but then you'd have a clearer view as they'd be in front of you and not off to the side. The issue in my footage was the side of the window obscuring it but that's the only place, really, I could get the camera... It needs to be easily accessible as the FOcus power socket is on all the time so can't just leave it in and connected as it won't turn itself on with the ignition.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Focus power sockets go off when you switch off the ignition, although there is a delay of around 5 minutes. Maybe yours does the same?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are reasons to ask that a dashcam can record a number plate of a vehicle coming towards you. If you're the witness to a hit and run then your dashcam evidence would be useful if it is detailed enough.

Like MichaelEvans, I have had RoadHawk units for several years. All of my units are the HD (not HD 2) model. For the first year I used the standard settings, in the second year I experimented so I now have a pretty good audio/video quality both day and night - but that did involve a lot of experimentation which took a lot of time as I had to drive several hours in the daytime and nighttime (with and without streetlights) in order to have valid results of each change.

With my current settings I can normally freeze the frame of the dashcam output to read the number plate of an on coming vehicle when we're in an urban area (30mph). Approaches on faster roads will be harder (if not impossible) to read the number plate.

I'm running my RoadHawk on the following settings: 1920x1080; 30 frames per second; 12 Mb/s Bit rate. This equates to a file size of 102,400 KB (100 MB) per minute.

As MaFt has already pointed out if you increase the Bit rate then you increase the video quality. The RAC 03 has three settings for Bit rate, they are:

Super fine: 18 Mb/s
Fine: 16 Mb/s
Normal:10 Mb/s

The trouble is that whilst you can increase resolution, fps, and Bit rate it is a trade off for file space. My RoadHawk HD settings (1920x1080; 30 frames per second; 12 Mb/s Bit rate) use 100 MB per minute. Therefore on a 64 GB SD card I can get just over 9½ hours recording time before the files start to be overwritten. You increase the settings and you need to increase the size of the storage card if you want to keep the same amount of recording time.

At the end of the day, we all have specific reasons to have dashcams and we adjust the settings on our dashcams accordingly.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
My Focus power sockets go off when you switch off the ignition, although there is a delay of around 5 minutes. Maybe yours does the same?

Mine is an 06 Focus and seems not to turn off. I've left my Bluetooth A2DP audio receiver plugged in numerous times overnight to charge it up. If it went off after 5 minutes or so then I wouldn't have a charged receiver. Wonder if it's something added in later models? I have considered getting it re-wired to make things like this easier but it actually has it's perks - when I stop for petrol then the kids DVD players and/or tablets can still have power!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, had a near-miss recorded today on the RAC 05 here: https://youtu.be/gA5c5R2G_48

On the raw footage you can clearly make out the registration of the truck as it goes past, however it's not as easy on the YouTube video - I assume this is down to bit-rates and compression etc etc

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 00:11 the registration is reasonably visible as "MX12 NGY" and confirms to be that if you replay the video a couple of times.

That roundabout's markings are awful. I would normally say that the lorry had right of way as you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights (Rule 185). The lorry comes off the roundabout and moves to the left hand lane (lane 1).

I'm not an expert driver by any means (I'll leave that for others) but you're not in a segregated left-turn lane (where you do not give way to traffic). The road markings are very messy. I think that it was probably best to just give way.

Does that roundabout have any history of being an accident black spot?

I'm not an expert but would be interested in what others think.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of "Lorry nearly takes off my front end", perhaps a change of title to "This is why you (I) have to give way at roundabouts."? Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
fthompson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Power connection Reply with quote

I bought the new RAC 03 rear view mirror the in power socket being on the top when the power lead is inserted it sticks up fairly high and fouls the head lining,ok fo me. But when my wife adjusts the mirror to suit her position. It very difficult to get the mirror right due to the power plug. So I invested in right angled connector 90 deg. This has solved the problem this adapter from eBay 0.99p for two post free. Well worth the weeks wait I. The post
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing messy about the lane markings. There is clearly a give way line across the carriageway as well as the usual give way to traffic on the roundabout rule. Lock MaFt up and throw away the key. Laughing Or better still, Take him out and shoot him. Catch 22.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to say that - because I'm a nice person.

Just catch 1 - MaFt. Tie him to a post and shoot him. Nicely.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
There is nothing messy about the lane markings. There is clearly a give way line across the carriageway as well as the usual give way to traffic on the roundabout rule. Lock MaFt up and throw away the key. Laughing Or better still, Take him out and shoot him. Catch 22.

BUt the lane I was entering had no vehicles in it so I had nothing to give way to ;)

ANyway, been discussed at length on Facebook with the underlying outcome being that the lorry driver should at least learn to indicate.

Main point of the video in this thread was that the registration was readable even at an odd angle.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Instead of "Lorry nearly takes off my front end", perhaps a change of title to "This is why you (I) have to give way at roundabouts."? Very Happy

Nah, you need 'shocking' titles otherwise people don't watch them - it's called 'click-bait' Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. New title "It is shocking that you (I) have to give way at roundabouts, otherwise you (i) will get a shock".

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click bait works for me. Sometimes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: